Used 2001 Ford Focus ZTS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love it!
By CarLvr

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Ford Focus ZTS (4dr Sedan). It's the 2001 model, which I bought in 2004 with 18,000 miles on it...my car now has 70,000 miles on it (2009) and I love it just as much as I ever did. It's fast, SAFE, and reliable. The Focus was listed as one of the safest vehicles to drive recently and I would have to agree with that 100%. I've NEVER had a problem with my focus in the years that I've owned it and couldn't be happier with it. The only thing I would SUGGEST to others is to NOT get low profile tires/rims. My focus came with that feature and I got flat tires all the time, but I switched out the tires for typical ones and haven't had a problem since!

None that I can think of!

I Love My Focus ZTS
By Mark

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since January 01. It's fun to drive, handles very well, has excellent passenger room and trunk space. Good small car for mostly in-town use that I can take on a longer road trip and it doesn't beat me up. I only drive it 8000 miles per year so I might have it another 8 years if it holds up. I've had some occasional minor but annoying throttle body sticking since I bought it. The dealer replaced it once under warranty, but it still sticks periodically.

Handling, stopping, interior room, trunk space, distinctive look, great visibility, excellent sound system, good fuel economy. It's a fun, competent car.

20% more horsepower with the same fuel economy, more insulation from road noise.

Pain in the rear
By nicole

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car now for 4 years and the first year I loved my car. Now, I am deathly affraid to drive it. It makes so much noise I think that the tires are going to fall off. It is leaking oil and coolant. Had many problems with the windows not working, and the doors not wanting to open from the outside. The inside latch to release the trunk doesn't work ( I can't remember when it did). But I am so upside down in this car it is hard to find a non-Ford car to buy.

Had lots of get-up-and-go power

Everything needs to be re-done. Less noisy, and easier to find parts. Needs to be a better built car overall.

No problems after warranty
By Sqoug

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus seems to be the opposite of the usual. I have had quite a few problems with it in the first 36k miles, but after that no problems at all. The things that failed were: - hood was repainted because someone at the dealership dented it, - dash was replaced because of weird squeaks in hot weather, - alternator failed and was replaced, - rear wheel bearing seized and was replaced, - engine computer was reprogrammed - engine hesitated in the 2k-3k rpm range. But I had no problems after 36k miles. I do all the maintenance on the car. Stock tires lasted about 32k miles, and front brake pads lasted about 35k miles.

Good suspension and handling. Good looks.

Better quality of the dealerships. For example, when the rear wheel bearing was replaced they messed up the brakes (left a piece of plastic in the brake). As result, the brake seized few months later while I was driving

I'd buy another
By McKendrick74

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great, fun car for $15,000.
I've had this car for two and a half
years, and if I stay in this price
bracket for my next vehicle, I'll
definitely consider another Focus. In
fact, I may just keep this one (rather
than trading it in) as a toy to tweak
and play with. I compared this to a
Grand Am and a Cavalier, but the Focus
offered more for less money. Two
thumbs up to Ford this time around.

Engine warms up very quickly, lively drive under any normal conditions, good trunk space, split folding rear seat, tilt/telescoping wheel, driver's seat height adjustment, 4 power windows with auto-down on driver's

Speakers are mediocre at best, radio volume control isn't fine enough. If the car's off, the radio is either too loud for normal conversation, or the volume's off - no in-between.