2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
For what i needed, this was actually a great car.
By krwkim26 on 02/06/13 14:54 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $3,000 for this car when i was 19. It was used with 136,000 miles on it and with that.. I really didnt have alot of issues with. Had it for 3 years before it finally gave up at 172,000. I know thats not long, but for the milage it had, it didnt pretty well. The only issues i had were minor- drive belt and ignition switch- both easy fixes. Occasionally a hupcap would come off randomly while driving, but that seems to happen with steal wheels.. haha The a/c never failed and it got decent gas milage. Going from point A to point B and being in college on a budget.. this was a good car.

If bought a rebuilt in an Emergency.
By TheNIGHTCRAWLER on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car on the spot. A mechanic rebuilt this wrecked car for his wife. I bought it from him as he was moving into the soccer mom SUB stage of life. He replaced the ignition and suspension and life is good. I would have bought this car whether or not anybody signed off on it. They did. Bare bones and gets me where I have to go dependably. This works for me. Note: It's an automatic. the green button under the shifter turns off the overdrive. The child safety locks on the rear doors still confuse me. No children. Anti-theft key is nice. I like to date. Basic car is a keeper.

Terrible car.
By Tman on 07/23/10 23:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with around 30,000 miles on it. And ever since it's been one problem after another! We've had to replace all 4 tires nearly every 16 months! The upper engine mount has needed to be replaced twice. The passengers side strut needed to be replaced 3 times. The radio goes off intermittently and you need to push the faceplate back in. the ignition wasn't working right. The car sputters sporadically. It doesn't like to start on rainy days. has bad gas mileage for a 4 cyl. It's poor in the snow. the a/c stopped working and won't stay charged. The list goes on and on. The car was designed by monkeys. It's a piece of junk, we will NEVER buy a ford again

Not entirely happy
By cpence on 06/13/05 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has basically been a decent vehicle, but I've already had to replace the rack and pinion and the cv joints. Not good for a car that new. It's not like I go off roading in it. I'm pretty sure I won't buy another Ford. The Focus was my first and will be my last Ford. It does get good mileage for gas and runs well. I'm just not impressed with it. Not a good car for taller men. Almost impossible to fit a baby car seat in the back. The seats aren't comfortable either. They slump you forward.

Problematic Car
By 2ManyProbsW/Focus on 04/14/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only reason we bought this car was because it was 0% interest. There have been many parts replaced because the metal used was cheap. It's been in the shop every year since we've had it. I am not happy with this car. The extended warranty only covered 1 part any time we've had problems. The warranty seemed to do nothing for us. The ignition and fuel are the biggest problems. It's loud from the noise outside especially on highways. There isn't much leg room in the back seats. The stereo system is TERRIBLE. We replaced our ignition and key 3 times! Loud muffler. This is a noisy, break down car. I'd suggest against getting one. Ford never helped me at all with any problems.

not so impressive
By susan p on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far, the power steering went out, the turn signal broke two times, the remote trunk release inside the car is hit or miss and something electrical causes a back light/turn signal bulb to burn out every month or so lately.

2001 Ford Focus-so far so good
By Happy Focus Owner on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have owned my Focus since October of 2001. I get 27mpg in the city and 31mpg on the highway. Have experienced no problems in 22,000 miles. It is fun to drive and handles well in Michigan winters. The trunk is huge for a small car. Have had several passengers express their suprise for how nicely the car rides. The controls are placed well. Ford appears to finally have the 'world car' they have been trying for since the Escort was introduced. Hopefully, the problems they had when the car was first introduced have been resolved. My Focus has had no recalls.

My Favorite Car Ever!!!
By jenny andrews on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my SUV because I was going back to school. I bought my Focus and have never looked back. I LOVE it. I drive it appx. 170 miles per day, and it gets 35 mpg.

This is a very reliable car!
By focusguy on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As my title says, this has been a very reliable car! I bought it new, with 5 miles on it, and it has performed wonderfully. It is a very comfortable car for both myself, at 270 pounds, and my wife, at 130 pounds, so it fits just about anyone! A very nice interior design. The exterior is also very pleasing. And the power... for the standard SP1 engine, I am quite impressed, you won't have any problems with this one.

Don't buy this car
By Puddgomez on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus LX for only a short time and the clutch has already gone out six times. The rear defrost refuses to work and the brakes are crappy at best. I don't think I'm buying American cars anymore.