2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worst Car Ever
By marigoldsb on 09/26/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. It had 10,000 miles on it. It now has 220,000. I've had nothing but problems. It was recalled several times. I had many problems with the fuel pump when I first got the car. I replaced the EGR valve sensor 4 or 5 times. The turn signal will not turn off by itself. I had this fixed once, but it broke again. The passenger side window has broken twice. The passenger side seat will not recline. The radio randomly turns off. I've replaced tires, rotors, brakes and shocks multiple times. The ignition recently just broke and had to be replaced. Sometimes the front doors will not open from the outside so I have to climb in through the back. Wheel bearing broke 4 times.

Bad and Worse
By pc1967 on 05/12/13 16:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Basically purchased it used for $3200, 20k miles later, after regular oil changes and sensible driving habits. It dropped the #4 valve seat effectively destroying the head and piston below the valve. This was the 2.0 SPI a.k.a split port engine. Do not buy a 01 Focus if the 8th VIN digit is a letter P without signed documented proof from the dealer that the valve seats have been replaced with the improved design period!! Ford should have seriously recalled this vehicle from the start. The only good thing that came out of this is, that I purchased a Toyota Yaris after this heap blew up. If Ford gave me a shiny new Focus, Id sell it and get another Toyota right there on the lot.

For what i needed, this was actually a great car.
By krwkim26 on 02/06/13 14:54 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $3,000 for this car when i was 19. It was used with 136,000 miles on it and with that.. I really didnt have alot of issues with. Had it for 3 years before it finally gave up at 172,000. I know thats not long, but for the milage it had, it didnt pretty well. The only issues i had were minor- drive belt and ignition switch- both easy fixes. Occasionally a hupcap would come off randomly while driving, but that seems to happen with steal wheels.. haha The a/c never failed and it got decent gas milage. Going from point A to point B and being in college on a budget.. this was a good car.

Note to all the poor souls who own the 2.0 SPI variant.
By pc1967 on 10/28/12 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As the title states if you own the 2.0 SPI SOHC aka (2.0 split port) variant. Sell this car immediately it's a literal time bomb. Possibly the worst engine design by Ford ever. No matter how you baby that engine expect the valve seats to fly directly into the cylinder head anytime after 70K miles. The minimum cost to fix is actually almost as much as the cars valuation. Even if you catch it prior to damage it's a very costly fix and one that could have been avoided by Ford if the had made a slight design variation to the 2.0 SPI. Symptoms of failing valve seats include. Engine chatter Running rough or stalling in idle A #2 or #4 cylinder misfire code Avoid the Focus VIN P at all costs

Would not recommend!
By Christina on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for 5 years. I bought it w/over 50,000 miles on it. W/in 45 days the engine blew. It makes a loud rattling sound, it shakes, the brakes always squeak & the front passenger seat belt has never worked. It's a very small car inside; very uncomfortable to drive. For being such a small car, it doesn’t get good mileage. The engine now has about 100,000 miles on it & the vehicle has about 172,000 miles. It has lasted me a long time for being a “Ford” but I have also had to put a lot of money into it for various things. It now needs a new Cadillac converter & water bottle. It would make an ok car for someone w/o children. But is not recommended for a tall person.

If bought a rebuilt in an Emergency.
By TheNIGHTCRAWLER on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car on the spot. A mechanic rebuilt this wrecked car for his wife. I bought it from him as he was moving into the soccer mom SUB stage of life. He replaced the ignition and suspension and life is good. I would have bought this car whether or not anybody signed off on it. They did. Bare bones and gets me where I have to go dependably. This works for me. Note: It's an automatic. the green button under the shifter turns off the overdrive. The child safety locks on the rear doors still confuse me. No children. Anti-theft key is nice. I like to date. Basic car is a keeper.

Saved My Life, Twice
By Shay on 09/08/10 21:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has saved my life two times. The first time, I was in a hit and run accident with a semi-truck the same year I purchased the car. The second time was two weeks ago, and the man who ran into me totaled my car. Luckily, my unborn child and I walked away unharmed (mild chemical burn on hand from airbag). In the beginning the car was fantastic but towards the end (103,000 mi) the CD player failed, I had to get my fuel pump replaced (recall), and the electrical system kept failing. I started pouring lots of $$$ into it. I think of this as a blessing that my car is totaled now. It was a good first car, but now I am moving on to something better.

Terrible car.
By Tman on 07/23/10 23:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with around 30,000 miles on it. And ever since it's been one problem after another! We've had to replace all 4 tires nearly every 16 months! The upper engine mount has needed to be replaced twice. The passengers side strut needed to be replaced 3 times. The radio goes off intermittently and you need to push the faceplate back in. the ignition wasn't working right. The car sputters sporadically. It doesn't like to start on rainy days. has bad gas mileage for a 4 cyl. It's poor in the snow. the a/c stopped working and won't stay charged. The list goes on and on. The car was designed by monkeys. It's a piece of junk, we will NEVER buy a ford again

This car can be one fun ride! Not hwy
By Joe on 07/23/10 04:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

You'll want this car if you steer a lot. If you take most of your time on the highways, not so much. You might yell at it to accelerate a bit faster and without such a big grunt just to go from 45-60. But if you steer: It's like very smooth butter being sliced on bread. Steering = city streets and curved roads. It is reliable. 9 years only 1 repair. Sure, its suffered tire damage. But it spent most of its life in NYC! In a backyard full of nails and who knows what! That's to be expected! Sure its got just 50k and we treated it well, sort of. It's been in an accident once struck by a large car going 40mph on the side. What happened? The left door creaks. That's it. Perfect otherwise!

Fun Car, Mostly Reliable
By Helen on 06/01/10 20:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Focus for 3 years now. I've put about 20,000 miles on it, and about $3,000 in repairs. I was told that the body is German engineering, and the front suspension is by ford....which is where the majority of the problems have been. Replaced the struts, ball bearings, etc ($1600 and $300-ish), and I still think there's something wrong with the suspension. Also had a distributor problem which caused the car to run at half power (cost about $500 to repair) Recently replaced the coolant reservoir and cooling fan ($380), and am saving up for repairs for an EGR issue (check engine light is on). Car gets about 27 MPG, and is super fun to drive when...it runs well.