2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Focus Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (87 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

My First Car.
By dierad53

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car over a year ago and should've taken it to a mechanic. I bought it for $1200 from a guy in my town. It had 251000 miles on it. I drove it 3 thousand miles the first month I had it. To date I have replaced the battery(it had a go-cart battery when I bought it), rear wheel bearings, rear and front brakes, alternator, full front suspension, new tires. So far I probably have about 3200 dollars into it and it now needs a new engine. I got screwed by the former owner but i love this car. I will drive it for years. Great gas mileage and drifts well. Ive gotten it to 110 before new suspension. Then i hit a hawk. I love this car and enjoy doing work on it. Love my ZX3.

Favorite Features

It will be fast when i have a new engine. Wont be worn to dirt. I took it to Ohio and it hardly broke down on me. Word to the wise. Don't take private sellers at their word have a good mechanic. The car will tell the truth. I have gotten 35 mpg on the highway and roughly 26 city. It is amazing in snow and love drifting on the lake(frozen). Wish it were 4x4 or had more offroading options. This car goes off jumps and mudding. Also is green bay packers colors. It is basically a truck. I have fit a dining room table in the hatch and two kayaks on the roof. I have also taken it off-roading. Doesn't forde creeks well but i got through it.

Suggested Improvements

Have a Mechanic look over any car before you buy it. I would say to put roof racks on the car and a brush guard. I would also raise the suspension by an inch or so. Rear bumper is garbage. i would replace it with a steel bumper and attach a winch to the front. This car is very durable. Car is a bit front heavy. Oil filter is in the worst location and alternator is in a bad place. This car is perfect for a teenager who is adventurous and reckless. It is also very safe. Have not gotten into an accident yet. Can fit four kegs of soda in the back.

My ZX3 is a great vehicle
By tjnugent

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 (Focus ZX3 hatchback; 5-speed manual with no air conditioning or electric windows). This is the best car I've ever owned. We now have over 225,000 miles on the car with little maintenance. By keeping up on the oil changes/tune-up's, we've had no major issues other than changing out the ignition once while it was still under warranty. Great mpg (30-40 avg overall); I mostly drive freeway. We're considering buying a 2013 as a replacement vehicle for our 2000 Focus SE sedan (bought it used; automatic w/electric everything; it has too many issues now at 180,000 mi). The ZX3 is a wonderful car. I would recommend the version I purchased. It's a keeper!

Favorite Features

Reliable car; great handling and mpg (30-40 avg). Glad I purchased the basic version (5-speed manual w/no electric windows/air conditioning, etc). Best car I've ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

N/A; continue to offer the basic model with a hatchback and no electric windows.

This car is HORRIBLE
By qtbex87

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When i bought the car i had 62000 mi on it and now its been 5 years with 116000 ive had to replace the trasmission, replace the water pump and timing belt, replaced the coolant system 2 times not to mention the hoses and clamps about 3 times or more tires have been replaced twice, just when you think the car is ok something else will break and it costs at least 500 dollars or more! the car has electric problems sometimes the lights will just go out by itself i bought it for 8000 and spent almost triple that amount fixing this stupid car. the cd player you have to get replaced since the cds will stop playing after like 20 min or less the only good thing with this car is the gas milage

Worst used car I have ever purchased
By jenas62

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in June 2010 for my kids to drive. It looked great on the outside and shifted well and has great air conditioning but that is where it ends. The guy I bought it from put used tires on it but they still had a lot of tread. In the 6 months that we have had this car I have had to replace the radiator, the heating element, the water pump and all 4 tires. This thing eats tires. I would never trust my kids to drive it out of town. It's simply not reliable. Other issue that are not quite as important: The windows crank down backwards from other cars. The drink holder is in a stupid place. Sometimes the passenger side door will not open. This car is a piece of crap.

I Used To Praise It
By bonnilass

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm now 60 years old. This car had 50k miles on it and was 4 y/o when I got it. Everything that could go wrong on this car has gone wrong twice in the 5 years I've had it (now 118k)and again I am facing motor mounts, a timing belt, a new head gasket the shifter came off at the base, the suspension trashed, CV joints, cooling system problems, numerous strange rattles, and the stereo pops out on the right side when I accelerate so it's taped into place. The wind whistles through every crack, and conversation in the cabin is not fun. It's a MONEY PIT $$$$ that knows no bounds, at least $1500 per year on the average. Unfortunately most of it hits all at once. I'm saddened by it's performance.

Favorite Features

It's Bright yellow. After tinting the windows, putting a couple of personal decals on it and fancy wheels. I felt like a kid again. The fold down back seats create a lot of room; perfect for lightweight hauling. It's spunky & cute.

Suggested Improvements

Due to the age of this vehicle, I'm sure Ford has learned enough from this vehicle that they don't need my advice on improving it.

Garbage
By bg

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had 13k miles on it and was 5 y/o when purchased. Thought the proverbial little old lady must have owned it. How mistaken I was. A/c out 6 months later. Cooling system problems, electrical problems, bearing problems, fuel pump, door panels rattle (this will drive you slowly insane), brake problems, motor mounts all replaced, transmission mounts. Need I say more?

Favorite Features

hatch

Suggested Improvements

outsource to India. maybe they can put it together correctly. or maybe the engineering makes that impossible.

01 focus a great car
By dan

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy owning and driving my 01 Focus zx3. Fun to drive, gets great gas mileage. Very dependable. Overall great car. Even with the 2dr I can fold down back seat and haul some pretty big stuff!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, gas mileage 30 mpg like clock work. Even better on pure hwy and easy driving. Best ever 36 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

only complaint would be need more room around cup holders for larger drinks. i know they improved that in later models.

Fun but hot!
By KRANKIZZ

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I own my 2001 Focus for almost 7 yrs never lets me down even if there's a problem with the car . I have this car overheat like 5 times, the problem the my car have is the radiator that's about it . This car have 19,000k and still good as new fast motor. That's the good thing about a good motor the is been taken good care! Love your Focus!

Favorite Features

Too fast good on fast turns and save you on gas!

Best Ford of the last decade
By dewey

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I approach 200,000 miles on this car I have no regrets, except it replaced a beloved 20 year old Fiesta.Aside from regular service it is only now having more issues, but I am only thinking of replacing it with one of the last years the hatchback was available. My car was rare and special, I ordered it with stability control, 4 wheel disc and ABS and traction control. With snows it performed superb in winter driving. Even 10 years old, the styling is undated. The car had a solid build, compared to many Fords in it's day, and even with all the miles the car looks new. Excellent fuel economy, dependable, I would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Good looks, European handling, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Many safety features are optional rather than standard.

I owe my life to this little car
By choobaka

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable & very good on gas I always said I hated this car b/c I didn't like the look of the hatchback, but it never gave me any problems. I commuted to work 4hrs a day for over a year and never once had any issues. Was recently in a very bad car accident where I was hit at full highway speed by a Chevy Silverado (that's a big truck compared to my little hatchback), my car was totaled, but I lived. I would have to say they are built very well. As much as I hated the look of this car, I might have to buy another b/c I know they're safe.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy and safe