Used 2001 Ford Focus Street Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

took a $9000 loss to be rid of this car
By yuba4

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This should have been a great car, but was an absolute disaster. 17 service trips in first 16 months. Ford was uncooperative and rude. The worst of many problems was the rear brakes, which were always slightly engaged. This resulted in bad fuel economy, but FAR worse was that it was extremely dangerous to drive on ice and snow. The rear wheels constantly slid. I race autocross, ride motorcycles, and race bicycles so I know a ridiculously unsafe vehicle from a regular vehicle, but every contact point of Ford ignored my concerns and insisted I was just a bad driver. Send me a $9000 check, and I will CONSIDER buying another Ford. Lemon law only until 12k miles - went to heck at 15k

Favorite Features

Overall design and packaging was right on the money - should have been a great car

Suggested Improvements

Corporate customer service rating 1/5, dealer customer service rating 1/5, engine, suspension, brakes, rear wheel alignment. Will never consider another Ford. Ever.

Stay away from these cars
By Nathan M.

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was purchased used from a private seller in early 2009 to be used as a commuter vehicle in Canada. The car passed a licenced (3rd party) inspection when I bought it, but has since required ~$3,000 in repairs in the nine months that I have been driving it - about the same amount I spent buying the wretched thing. So far the front shocks & struts have had to be replaced twice (the first OEM replacement parts broke less than a month after being replaced by a licensed shop), the front brake pads, rotors, & calipers, the rear brake cylinders, the heater core, and the OEM 6-CD stereo. Needless to say, I won't be buying another Ford in the foreseeable future.

Favorite Features

The interior is nice, and I rather liked the fact that the seat hights are adjustable. Lots of interior room for a compact car, yet easy to maneuver around a parking lot.

Suggested Improvements

The interior cup holders are ridiculous - located too close to the bottom of the dash so putting actual CUPS in them is never easy. The ride is quite stiff, but I think that's because the "Street" edition has the upgraded engine & suspension?