Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My First Car.
By dierad53

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car over a year ago and should've taken it to a mechanic. I bought it for $1200 from a guy in my town. It had 251000 miles on it. I drove it 3 thousand miles the first month I had it. To date I have replaced the battery(it had a go-cart battery when I bought it), rear wheel bearings, rear and front brakes, alternator, full front suspension, new tires. So far I probably have about 3200 dollars into it and it now needs a new engine. I got screwed by the former owner but i love this car. I will drive it for years. Great gas mileage and drifts well. Ive gotten it to 110 before new suspension. Then i hit a hawk. I love this car and enjoy doing work on it. Love my ZX3.

Favorite Features

It will be fast when i have a new engine. Wont be worn to dirt. I took it to Ohio and it hardly broke down on me. Word to the wise. Don't take private sellers at their word have a good mechanic. The car will tell the truth. I have gotten 35 mpg on the highway and roughly 26 city. It is amazing in snow and love drifting on the lake(frozen). Wish it were 4x4 or had more offroading options. This car goes off jumps and mudding. Also is green bay packers colors. It is basically a truck. I have fit a dining room table in the hatch and two kayaks on the roof. I have also taken it off-roading. Doesn't forde creeks well but i got through it.

Suggested Improvements

Have a Mechanic look over any car before you buy it. I would say to put roof racks on the car and a brush guard. I would also raise the suspension by an inch or so. Rear bumper is garbage. i would replace it with a steel bumper and attach a winch to the front. This car is very durable. Car is a bit front heavy. Oil filter is in the worst location and alternator is in a bad place. This car is perfect for a teenager who is adventurous and reckless. It is also very safe. Have not gotten into an accident yet. Can fit four kegs of soda in the back.

Worst Car Ever
By marigoldsb

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. It had 10,000 miles on it. It now has 220,000. I've had nothing but problems. It was recalled several times. I had many problems with the fuel pump when I first got the car. I replaced the EGR valve sensor 4 or 5 times. The turn signal will not turn off by itself. I had this fixed once, but it broke again. The passenger side window has broken twice. The passenger side seat will not recline. The radio randomly turns off. I've replaced tires, rotors, brakes and shocks multiple times. The ignition recently just broke and had to be replaced. Sometimes the front doors will not open from the outside so I have to climb in through the back. Wheel bearing broke 4 times.

Favorite Features

Drives like a go cart. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Parts that don't break.

My ZX3 is a great vehicle
By tjnugent

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 (Focus ZX3 hatchback; 5-speed manual with no air conditioning or electric windows). This is the best car I've ever owned. We now have over 225,000 miles on the car with little maintenance. By keeping up on the oil changes/tune-up's, we've had no major issues other than changing out the ignition once while it was still under warranty. Great mpg (30-40 avg overall); I mostly drive freeway. We're considering buying a 2013 as a replacement vehicle for our 2000 Focus SE sedan (bought it used; automatic w/electric everything; it has too many issues now at 180,000 mi). The ZX3 is a wonderful car. I would recommend the version I purchased. It's a keeper!

Favorite Features

Reliable car; great handling and mpg (30-40 avg). Glad I purchased the basic version (5-speed manual w/no electric windows/air conditioning, etc). Best car I've ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

N/A; continue to offer the basic model with a hatchback and no electric windows.

Great drivetrain - too bad its a rust bucket
By kopandem9305

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my SE Wagon in 2008 with 155,000 miles on it from a private sale for $2,500. 5 years later, it now has 230,000 miles on it and is still running great... but unfortunately the New England winters have taken their toll and the car cannot even be safely lifted on a jack anymore. Would cost thousands to get the proper body work done, so going with a newer car. Mechanic even told me 12 months ago "this will probably be your final sticker, you won't want to pay the bill next year." That said, the car got me this far very reliably, with very little cost. I got 30 MPG, the only repairs/maintenance I did was oil changes, brake and tire replacement. I feel I got a great value in the 5 years.

Favorite Features

Reliability, the fact that the engine/transmission run great, very few repairs, very smooth ride, lots of space in the wagon interior. I used the roof-racks to haul 4X12' drywall panels without any issues (with help of 2X4s). Unfortunately, biggest complaints with the new 2013 Focuses are that the auto-trannies are crap and dying after 10,000 to 20,000 miles... main thing keeping me from buying another. This car, I have 230,100 on original engine + auto transmission...

Suggested Improvements

Make car more corrosion-resistant. Car was washed in winter but still the body is junk after 11 years. Many cars here are much older and bodies in much better shape. Also went through plate-light holders like crazy due to corrosion of the holder - replaced 3 times, not expensive but time-consuming. However, I would say if you don't live in the rust-belt, then this is a very good car and a great value.

Very Reliable
By tjh9

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Focus Wagon SE from a dealership in 2011 with ~190,000 mi on it for $2850. It has been almost 2 years now and this car has given me almost no grief. The A/C went out once (A/C is a luxury anyways, who cares?), front coil springs had to be replaced, and the muffler hit the ground once while going over a speed bump (temporarily fixed it with shoelaces, haha) All in all, great performance; great value!

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer larger rims/tires (scraped the underneath of the vehicle going on a slightly-uneven gravel road--ouch!), and also wish the interior was a little more friendly for tall folks (it was somewhat hard to get comfortable driving when I first purchased this vehicle).