Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 221 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car
By J alsl

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car it is a great car its winter and i live in the country and it does great! It's a 5 speed with a Sunroof that opens with a crank it runs and drives great and easily shifts. I got it with 94k and it has 95k great car!

Great car!
By Chayse G.

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my blue 2001 Focus ZX3 for free, it needed an idler pulley, and it ran well! It may have the occasional stall and rattle, but it runs well!

My First Car.
By dierad53

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car over a year ago and should've taken it to a mechanic.
I bought it for $1200 from a guy in my town.
It had 251000 miles on it.
I drove it 3 thousand miles the first month I had it.
To date I have replaced the battery(it had a go-cart battery when I bought it), rear wheel bearings, rear and front brakes, alternator, full front suspension, new tires.
So far I probably have about 3200 dollars into it and it now needs a new engine.
I got screwed by the former owner but i love this car.
I will drive it for years.
Great gas mileage and drifts well.
Ive gotten it to 110 before new suspension.
Then i hit a hawk.
I love this car and enjoy doing work on it.
Love my ZX3.

It will be fast when i have a new engine. Wont be worn to dirt. I took it to Ohio and it hardly broke down on me. Word to the wise. Don't take private sellers at their word have a good mechanic. The car will tell the truth. I have gotten 35 mpg on the highway and roughly 26 city. It is amazing in snow and love drifting on the lake(frozen). Wish it were 4x4 or had more offroading options. This car goes off jumps and mudding. Also is green bay packers colors. It is basically a truck. I have fit a dining room table in the hatch and two kayaks on the roof. I have also taken it off-roading. Doesn't forde creeks well but i got through it.

Have a Mechanic look over any car before you buy it. I would say to put roof racks on the car and a brush guard. I would also raise the suspension by an inch or so. Rear bumper is garbage. i would replace it with a steel bumper and attach a winch to the front. This car is very durable. Car is a bit front heavy. Oil filter is in the worst location and alternator is in a bad place. This car is perfect for a teenager who is adventurous and reckless. It is also very safe. Have not gotten into an accident yet. Can fit four kegs of soda in the back.

Worst Car Ever
By marigoldsb

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. It had 10,000 miles on it. It now has 220,000. I've had nothing but problems. It was recalled several times. I had many problems with the fuel pump when I first got the car. I replaced the EGR valve sensor 4 or 5 times. The turn signal will not turn off by itself. I had this fixed once, but it broke again.
The passenger side window has broken twice.
The passenger side seat will not recline. The radio randomly turns off. I've replaced tires, rotors, brakes and shocks multiple times. The ignition recently just broke and had to be replaced. Sometimes the front doors will not open from the outside so I have to climb in through the back. Wheel bearing broke 4 times.

Drives like a go cart. Good gas mileage.

Parts that don't break.

My ZX3 is a great vehicle
By tjnugent

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 (Focus ZX3 hatchback; 5-speed manual with no air conditioning or electric windows).
This is the best car I've ever owned.
We now have over 225,000 miles on the car with little maintenance.
By keeping up on the oil changes/tune-up's, we've had no major issues other than changing out the ignition once while it was still under warranty.
Great mpg (30-40 avg overall); I mostly drive freeway.
We're considering buying a 2013 as a replacement vehicle for our 2000 Focus SE sedan (bought it used; automatic w/electric everything; it has too many issues now at 180,000 mi).
The ZX3 is a wonderful car.
I would recommend the version I purchased.
It's a keeper!

Reliable car; great handling and mpg (30-40 avg). Glad I purchased the basic version (5-speed manual w/no electric windows/air conditioning, etc). Best car I've ever owned.

N/A; continue to offer the basic model with a hatchback and no electric windows.