You cant make lemonade out of this lemon
By Marie on
2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan
Since the car hit 60,000 miles it's been in and out of the shop constantly. With no warning, the clutch dropped out while I was driving 65 mph down the highway. Repair bill: $600. One of the parts they replaced broke again within two months. That was covered by a warranty, but it was still a pain and a safety issue. Then the fuel system went out, leaving me stranded. Thankfully, covered by a recall, but still a pain and a safety issue. Then the key wouldn't go into the ignition, again leaving me stranded. Repair: $300. Headlight wiring melted: $50/light. Air bags dysfunctional. Now the electrical is screwed up and the car dies unexpectedly at varying speeds while I'm driving it. What's next?
Favorite Features
The car is cute and fits me (a small- sized female) well. Easy and fun to drive 5spd. Roomier on the inside than you'd expect, and the fold-down backseat comes in handy for hauling large items. When it's working properly, I really enjoy this car. Too bad that's only about half the time.
Suggested Improvements
This car has potential, but it was not constructed well and the parts were cheaply made. I suggest Ford stop skimping on quality and put consumer safety first. An 'affordable' car should still be reliable.