2000 Ford Focus Consumer Review: We parted ways on our 10 year

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

We parted ways on our 10 year anniversary :(
By katemcn on

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. I bought it slightly used in 2001 for 8K. Had it paid off in 3 years. I learned to drive standard on it. It took me to Humboldt County in California for college. Later, Sacramento. San Francisco. Nevada. Texas! Other than routine maintenance, expenses were incredibly minimal. Gas mileage was a dream. Just this year things started falling apart @130K mi. (Computer needs total re-calibration; dies at idle; other problems.) I did hope to get more mileage out of it, but I can't complain-- this car hardly cost me anything for an entire decade! It saw me through my entire 20's, and it's near the end of its life. I'll shed a tear in a couple of days when I scrap it for parts.

Great gas mileage! Comfortable seats. Nice stock stereo. Smooth ride. Ice-cold AC until the end. Generally quite reliable. Easy to change oil/filter at home. Parallel parks like a champ in big cities or crowded areas. Overall very low maintenance.

When the window is down and the car is moving, there's a pulsating sound that's a little off-putting. Recently, mechanics have told me the engine is not arranged in a logical or convenient way, and had trouble repairing it. I do wish it would have lasted another 50K mi. But I suppose it would have cost more in the first place if it were that reliable. Frankly, I'm surprised (and grateful) it lasted this long.