2000 Ford Focus Consumer Review: Never let me down

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Review

Never let me down
By jblakeney on

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

After being forced into buying a car on rather short notice by a wreck, I decided that what I wanted was a vehicle which was able to haul me and all of my crap, be economical, and still be fun to drive. The Focus Zx3 has lived up to all of that, with the exceptions of interior quality and fuel economy. The fuel economy is partially my fault, as it has been so much fun to drive (fast), and in the summertime with the AC on, it can suck up a lot of fuel, even on the highway. I have experienced few mechanical problems (my ignition key stopped working once), and I have driven this car about as hard as I know how.

I think the engine, tranny and suspension are well mated- you can push the car hard, and one feature won't overpower the other. The wheels and tires could be better, tho- they place an uneccessary limit on an otherwise worthy platform.

Interior and material quality is lower than it could be. All of the design work was put into the dash and driver's controls. The design of the rear seat is attrocious, and the seat trim is of very low quality. The cloth used on the seats is a velour that sheds with any contact.