Used 2000 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worse car I ever owned
By ltc_phil

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

Seriously has been the worse car I have ever owned. I bought this car as a salvage title (front end damage, but no engine damage). It had around 80,000 miles on it. At around 107,000 miles the timing belt snapped - it's a zero tolerance engine - so the whole engine was destroyed. Mechanic says a new engine is around $1000 plus - with 30,000 mile warranty - well I won't get another used car with that, and I figure I should be able to get a 100,000 miles out of new engine - wrong. I hit about 70,000 miles and same thing - catostrophic damage to engine with the timing belt snapped again and put a rod through the engine block. I will never buy Ford again if they can't produce an engine

Favorite Features

When it ran - it ran well. It got good gas mileage in the summer, but dropped significantly in the winter

Suggested Improvements

Will not buy a Ford car again.

Mine was good
By carebearkon

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

My focus has been going strong for 184k miles, which probably isn't the norm. It idles rough from an unbalanced engine. The power locks and a/c don't work. The headlights are easily scratched and get really dim. The hatch doesn't hold open in the cold. I've had to replace the ignition ($300) struts ($400) ball joints ($500) and vacuum hose ($80) in the 60k miles I have owned it.

Favorite Features

CHEAP

Suggested Improvements

It's a decent, easy to fix car for cheap. Good for a first time driver or someone on a low budget. If you can afford it, get a better car.

Very Reliable, Very Forgiving, and Very Good MPG
By fusioncell

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

159k miles now. 37Mpg hwy . Replaced coil pack, brakes, and thermostat housing were the only normal maintenance items. The sporty look and functionality of the ZX3 Hatchback still makes me happy. After 10 years of owning the 1st year made Focus, our daughter ran off the road through a ditch and cut down a few small trees with this car. She was unhurt, the Focus was bent but not broken beyond repair. A motor mount, a tie rod, a tire, and some exhaust rebending put her back in good balance. Yes, and some body work on the rear quarter... but that was the only real big expense. Everything was repairable by the weekend warrior skills of good neighbors. Great car !

Favorite Features

Front buckets are big and comfortable for such a small car, made long distance driving better.

Suggested Improvements

At 133HP for year 2000... it is a little underpowered uphill in 5th gear. Could use a turbo, or supercharger.

Great engineering!Great car
By joser93

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Awsome car its been in the family for 13 years never huge repairs just maintance that i have performed always did oil changes on time transmission service a/c blows ice cold at 35 degrees engine has 120 hp and it beat a 2011honda si an audi s4 , audi v6, audi 1.8 turbo. Honda hatch 1.8 vtec honda crx with a 1.8 gsr so my focus can take them. Over all car has been great no major issues with motor has passed all smogs with no problems iys still runs at 14.67 :1 afr i get 35-40 mpg high way even at 3000 rpm

Favorite Features

I love the 2.0 4 cly engine i put a borla exaust on it it sounds mean haha with an intake and a power programmer i get 150 hp :)

Suggested Improvements

A little more hp would be nice and maybe a kit to make it awd :)

Great commuter car.
By anthony224

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I owned my focus for awhile now and I am well over 200k miles and it still runs like new and can drive anywhere while still getting great gas mileage. On average I get about 29-30 with mixed driving. The car is very reliable and has never let me down the only things I needed to replace on it was the 14 year old brake booster and a radiator hose that dry rotted. As long as you maintain the fluids and drive the car normally it should last you 200k miles+. Enough room to comfortably fit 3 adults and a 4th with a little effort. The car does great in the snow with the right tiers on the front. If your looking for a nice affordable car for daily driving look no further.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage, the car is very nimble around turns and the reliability is amazing and very practical to have year round.

Suggested Improvements

The interior as stated on this website is kinda bland and and boring however it is very durable and easy to clean.