2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
I'm glad to be rid of it.
By William D. Arthur II on 08/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

After taking our car in for all the recalls, and not being able to get the gear shifter repaired, because we were told that there was nothing wrong with it. I will say that I took the car to a small town Ford Dealer/Service Dept. and after removing the entire dash the A/C finally worked on hot days. I'm just glad to be rid of it.

I hate my car
By Leigh Ann on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

The Ford Focus gets nothing but rave reviews through website articles. However, anyone that owns a 2000 Ford Focus will tell you otherwise. My car has been serviced for 47 different things. That's it 47. For example, my radio has been replaced twice in the past two years. Now it is malfunctioning again and Ford told me that they would no longer pay for service on the vehicle because I have 36,250 miles on it and the warranty is up at 36,000. Well if they would have fixed it in the first place I wouldn't have this problem.

Lemon??
By Lizard on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I loved this car at first. THEN into the dealership it went. Again and again for repairs. First the break pads AND rotors had to be replaced at only 25k miles! All normal they said. Break dust on the wheels is horrible and now at 37k miles my breaks are squealing and grinding. Outside parts are loose, falling off. I have an oil leak. The ignition switch broke and had to be towed and was in the shop for a week. Seat belt in the back is jammed. Gas guage does not always work. Not to mention the recalls. In all defense, I was rear ended very hard and the bumper held up fantastically.

Extreamly Disappointed
By zedinteractive.com on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for all the great things that I read about it - it seems what I read vs. what is real are two different things. The Focus is the worst car I ever bought. From the trunk leaking (and soaking all that was in the truck) to the air conditioning that smells, I do not feel safe in this car. The endless recalls and now 6 investigations, Ford should be ashamed that this car was ever put on the road.

Fun car with a lot of problems!
By kayakgirl on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Focus for 2 years now, only 18000 miles, and it handles great, it's spacious, and looks good BUT-besides 3 recalls, I've taken it in to have the power steering pump replaced there was also the plastic guard below the windshield wipers falling off, trim along the passenger side roof peeling, the vinyl cover on the emergency brake with several cracks in it, and I also have this horrible rattle on the rear passenger side that has been fixed several times but keeps coming back! Despite the fact these have all been fixed under warranty-what is going to happen in another 2 years?

Comparable to the Jetta
By Lucas on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Overall, this car rides smoothly.

You get what you pay for
By Philig on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Everybody seems to be knocking this vehicle pretty, the root of the story is that you get what you pay for. I paid 15,000 for my Focus SE and it has given me my money's worth so far. It has 62,000 miles on it, and has never needed additional maintenance other than the recall items that were replaced. I'm am not certain how long this car will last, but remember that it's Ford's entry level vehicle, and if you get 150,000 out of it, it's done it's job. Next time don't be cheap and open up the checkbook

Ford Unfocused - Another Defect
By ghg102 on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

On April 4, 2002, I parked my Focus in the Hospital parking structure. When I returned after work to leave, my ignition key would only go in half way. Locksmith repleace ignition lock / key. When I went to Enterprise Car Rental Agency, I was told that this has been an on going problem with their Ford Focus rental car fleet. When the locksmith commented that this is a common problem with the Focus and he has done 100’s of them. When I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration I was told Ford has issued technical service bulletins regarding this problem.

A Good Car
By gxs on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about a year now and I have no complaints. I bought it with about 39000 miles with the zetec engine. The only problem I've had is a couple of brake cleanings and regular maintenace. (Oil changes, Tune up) The engine is quite once warmed up. Exterior is nothing to brag about, but there are some aftermarket parts than can be purchased to make it look better. Also interior seems a little cheap. And the Zetec engine is not gas friendly But I can't complain.

Always in the Shop
By Redridinghood on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

The Focus is a piece of JUNK! Car has been into dealership 19 times 15 of then have been recalls or warranty purposes. Have had 9 recalls already! Car has 59,140km on it. Rear axle assembly has been done, both front stablizer links replaced, brake calipers froze, car shook at high speeds. Springs were not properly in control arms, caused clunk. Clutch spring done twice. Car stalls occasionally, still not fixed. Car RPM's fluctuate when stopped causing car to shake at stops. Two wheel covers replaced, wiper arms had to be tightened. Rear wheel bearings and seals replaced. The list goes on and on. Stay away from the focus it is nothing but hassles.