Used 2000 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

A few problems here & there.
By KaitlynK383

2000 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from a used car dealership. It's been pretty good. I keep having trouble with it's engine though. Somehow the tps sensor, or something like that isn't reading anything from my engine. So my acceleration reallly really stinks right now. My horn also stopped working--not good, at all. I had a little problem a couple months ago with my abs--it ended up to be a loose wiring problem. Which has been happening a lot. Other than that, I love my Ford Focus. I think it is acting up just cause it has a lot of miles on it. It gets really good gas mileage. I drive it a lot. And I still only have to fill it up, on average every 1 and a half weeks.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Interior is beautiful. Heating, a/c is good. ABS is pretty good. Power locks & windows. CD & radio. Brakes are really good in my car usually. Lots of trunk space. The car is very roomy for how small it is.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to say, but I would definitly like more defense in weather conditions. I'm from ohio, and weather can be unbearable. I would like better control in really bad weather conditions. Which my Focus tends to lack.

You cant make lemonade out of this lemon
By Marie

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Since the car hit 60,000 miles it's been in and out of the shop constantly. With no warning, the clutch dropped out while I was driving 65 mph down the highway. Repair bill: $600. One of the parts they replaced broke again within two months. That was covered by a warranty, but it was still a pain and a safety issue. Then the fuel system went out, leaving me stranded. Thankfully, covered by a recall, but still a pain and a safety issue. Then the key wouldn't go into the ignition, again leaving me stranded. Repair: $300. Headlight wiring melted: $50/light. Air bags dysfunctional. Now the electrical is screwed up and the car dies unexpectedly at varying speeds while I'm driving it. What's next?

Favorite Features

The car is cute and fits me (a small- sized female) well. Easy and fun to drive 5spd. Roomier on the inside than you'd expect, and the fold-down backseat comes in handy for hauling large items. When it's working properly, I really enjoy this car. Too bad that's only about half the time.

Suggested Improvements

This car has potential, but it was not constructed well and the parts were cheaply made. I suggest Ford stop skimping on quality and put consumer safety first. An 'affordable' car should still be reliable.

Worse Car Ever
By Myrna

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It should of been a red flag from day one. When I test drove the car. But I was in need of a car so I purchased the car. And since then it has been a nightmare. I have had this car for 10 months now. And I have put in over 1,000 in repairs. Timing belt went out 3 months after I got the car. 3 months later ignition lock had to be repaired. Right now it is actually in the shop. Shakes a lot. Engine light keeps coming back on. Has leaks. I still have a year to pay it off. I recommend never, ever buy a used ford. They are a nightmare and you will regret it. I will never purchase a ford again. The radio didn't even work and yes the knob from the volume started melting in the summer.

Favorite Features

Car had rims on it. nothing else.

Suggested Improvements

Everything about the focus.

Loved the car, Hate the mishaps
By Jess

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I was the first owner of my Focus and the last. I loved the car and will miss it. Had a few recalls. The down part was had to replace motor at 90,000, always felt like was putting new tires on the car due to some alignment issues (mechanics could never figure it out) and had trouble with the exhaust. Up to recently was doing good and out of no where the motor went again only 70,000 miles later. I hated to give it up but hate to keep putting work into it. Had to give it up and look for a new one. Would I buy another Focus? Yes I would but not the new ones, think they are ugly.

Favorite Features

The seats were comfy, good gas mileage, and loved the trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Hated that the paint rusted so fast, kept up with detailing it and still had a lot of rust. My radio stunk, would sometimes randomly shut off or not get reception

Fun in the twisties
By John

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It's been a great first car. Had a few recalls, but Ford fixed them all no charge. Other than that, just replace a sensor or two (I have 90k miles) wheel bearings, brakes. But those are all wear items, so its not really a problem. Never left me stranded. OK power with the Zetec DOHC engine, 0-60 in a 5-speed takes under 9 seconds, which is fine for freeway merging. Handles great for such a cheap car, very fun when the road gets twisty.

Favorite Features

Handling is great. Acceleration is OK. Gas mileage! I average 27-29 with mostly city/highway traffic driving. Cabin ergonomics, and the steering wheel feels great. You sit up high, so its a good transition vehicle from an SUV or truck. Crash test results are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Stock tires stink, get rid of them. Brakes feel mushy, and I'm not a fan of rear drums although they seem to work OK. Seat needs better lower back support. The fog lights are essentially useless although they look cool. A bit more power would be nice.