2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Way more fun than a Toyota Corolla
By Hocus Focus on 01/15/08 20:39 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new, and have owned it for almost eight years. It's been a blast to drive and way, way more reliable than my previous car (Toyota Corolla). Only major complaint was an ignition lock problem in year seven, which by then was out of warranty and cost $250 to replace. Being a 1st year model it had a few recalls but they were fixed quick, free, and easy. Fuel economy (23 city, 33 highway) was a little lower than expected. Handling was a MAJOR positive surprise. Braking fine, replaced once at 51K. Front and Rear headroom impressive - a friend who is 6'3" fits in the back seat with no complaints... and he even works for GM. 5-speed manual shifts fine, clutch is a breeze.

2000 Focus ZX3
By 2000zx3Focus on 10/12/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

IN THE BEGINNING...the was a problem, before I could take it home they had to replace a Rt rear shock. Yes, it is fun to drive, pick up was great. Lots of trips for service of small to medium issues.

Great Little Commuter!
By lucy on 09/08/07 13:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 7 years, and it has been a great commuting vehicle. It is very dependable (only one major repair), and fun to drive. It seems very roomy on the inside compared with other compacts I have been in, and I like the high position of the driver's seat. Great visibility.

Massive Disappointment
By APL on 06/04/07 07:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Test driving the ZX3 with manual transmission sold me on this car's fun to drive qualities. However, having owned many cars (including 3 Fords) I can honestly say this car was the biggest lemon I ever had the displeasure of owning. Over the course of 84k mile ownership I replaced the AC system, valve cover gasket, ignition mechanism, EGR valve. The car was fun to drive and got great gas mileage but left me stranded more times than every other car I have owned combined. Amazingly, mechanics and tow truck drivers could usually guess what my problem was because they had seen so many Focus with the same issues. It feels like the sun has shone brighter every day since I got rid of it!

My ZX3 is a workhorse! I'm sad to sell!
By Chenago on 05/20/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I've been driving my little ZX3 for seven years now. It has been a wonderful little car. Yes, it's true that I it had some recalls, but that's all over with. I can haul almost anything that I want. The purchase price and the cost of gas still don't add up to the cost of a hybrid. It will carve Highway 55 with the best of them and I'll pass them at the pump, because I'm getting 35 mpg. It has spunk in the city and cruises easily on the highway. The stereo rocks. In seven years I've replaced the battery, window crank and the ignition switch. I'm very sad that Ford isn't bringing back the ZX3 in '08, so I'm selling and purchasing a new '07. Here's to another seven years!

Never Again!
By mimibeth on 04/20/07 15:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I will never again purchas a Ford vehicle. At 19 years old, the Ford Focus was the first vehicle that was truly 100% mine. Within the first week I received a notice in the mail regarding a fuel hose being recalled. It has all been downhill since then. I keep up to date with routine maintenance but in the past two years alone, I have had to replace the ignition, fuses, vents, seat adjustment handles, radiator, various parts of the transmission..the list goes on and on. Every time I brought it into the shop I was urged to get rid of my Focus. Thousands of dollars later, I'm finally listening! As soon as I trade this puppy in, I'm washing my hands not only of the Focus but of Ford entirely.

Stinks to be me
By notafocusfan on 03/28/07 18:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

I have driven my car since I bought it because I was a single parent and could get free labor to fix it and could not afford to buy a new car. This car is really bad. It is great because it still runs but it had to have 2 ignition switches, countless brakes, rotors and tires every 20,000 miles. We have lifetime brakes now and it is eating them too. It had to have a new motor at only 90,000 miles in 2005. It dropped a valve seat. New oxygen sensors twice. It now shakes and rattles the dash sounds horrible.

Excellent until things start going wrong
By Bern on 03/19/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Was working fine (power, mileage) until motor started to stall (and die) in the middle of the freeway (not fun). Ford dealer has no clue. Had 4 recalls performed, including a fuel delivery module replacement, and none solved the problem. Had to rent a car for 1 week while Ford tried to find the problem. In the end I bought a Toyota. Ford Focus 2000 is NOT a reliable car.

it just runs
By Brian on 03/15/07 12:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought it new with 12 miles on it currently has 84,0000 miles and has never given me an expensive out of warranty issue, always delivers - very low maintenance.

Better than your average econobox
By cwfol on 03/05/07 10:46 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

My ZTS handles great. It corners like crazy. I drive very fast to and from work everyday, and am happy with its reliability considering this. I know there are a lot of complaints out there about reliability, but I wonder if my luck has anything to do with letting the engine warm up with 1-2 minutes of idling every time I cold start.