2000 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )
Worst Car Experience Ever
By Unhappy Ford Driver on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

When I buy a new car, I expect reliabilty and I haven't had that in the 3 years I had it. It's spent a significant portion of it's life in the shop for either Ford recalls or engine problems of it's own. At 20K miles, a new transmission was needed. I contacted a lemon law attorney, but never had the time to pursue my case. I will never buy American again.

Excellent car for the money
By martin_tilam on 02/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Of all the cars I could lease for 233 a month and 1500 down, the Focus was the best. The standard lease offered 2,500 more miles a year than volkswagen. Also my insurance company informed me that Ford doesn't require the expensive lease coverage that other company's do. The car is very comfortable and roomier than cars that cost much more. I have had one quality issue and that was the fuel pump, however that gave me plenty of warning and was covered under the warranty, also Ford rented me another car while mine was being repaired. The only disappointment in the car is gas mileage. Which I feel should be at least 10 miles per gallon higher.

So far, so good
By jcode on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I have 31K miles on it so far, and there have been no major problems. A couple recalls, and a few very minor inconveniences have occurred. The brakes and windows are both a little squeaky. Also, once in a blue moon, my gas gauge decides not to work. I enjoy driving it. It handles very well, and has plenty of power to change lanes and merge in traffic. I get around 31 mpg. Overall a fun car to drive.

Water Leaks
By Kate Robinette on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

There was a defect in the design of the car so the callip pannel melted in the sun and pulled away from the windsheild. This allowed the rain to come straight into my car and I have had electrical problems since 2001. There is also mold in the heating sysstem that the dea;er gets rid of every time I bring thecar in, but every few times it rains it comes back and they won't fix it. Now my warranty is up, and I am stuck with it.

Love, Hate
By MO ZX3 on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Damn, I hate to love this car. It has screwed me many times. I'm sure everyone is aware of the recalls.This car stranded me 1500 miles from home with a rear wheel that almost fell off (15K miles). Two days to fix and ford wouldn't pay for hotel. I can't imagine what would have happened it the wheel had fallen off at 75 MPH. Key became stuck in the ignition (25K miles). The driver said it was the 3rd focus he had towed that DAY! My drivers seat has broken and now pokes my rear unless I use a towel. Ford said this was not covered under warranty.Why do I still like this car? It was cheap and fun to drive. It looks much nicer than a $14K car.

43000 miles report
By loolala on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I got my car in June 2000 when it had only 11 miles. I’ve had good mileage since day one, and it has remained around 31 to 32 mpg. Besides about 5 recalls it got and a couple of fixes under warranty, it has been virtually maintenance free. Total operation cost in 2.5 years is $10620 with 43000 miles. Cost per mile is just less than 25 cents! If you want to know how I get those number, check out Town Hall under Ford Focus ZX3 #2367.

I'm amazed
By gazings on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car expecting it to be full of problems - I got it cheap, so I could budget for repairs. Well, to my surprise, the car has been flawless. I've put nearly 10K miles on it (total nearly 40K). I have all the previous records, and its only repair was a fuel pump (common issue I hear). Thats it! I cannot find any probems. It handles well, and has a very smooth quiet ride. The engine is powerful enough to make it fun to drive. I love having ABS and side airbags - it was hard finding a 5-spd ZX3 with those options, as well as all the power equipment.

Focus, Ford!!
By unit-i on 12/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I put about 40k miles per year on my cars, and this one has not held up. It has gone through brakes every 30k miles, the suspension eats through tires, the windows have stopped working on 2 occasions, the fuel gage has never been accurate despite 3 repairs, several interior panels are loose, the drivers side mirror is loose... I have already spent twice as much in repairs on this car than I have on my 96 civic hatchback, which has almost 200k miles now and has again become my daily driver due to the poor build quality of this car.

73,000 Miles and counting
By kadian on 11/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

For the price, performance, handling, overall comfort and economy have been great. Nice stereo, my mountain bicycle fits nicely in the back once front tire removed.

Solid Car
By KJ on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I paid dirt for this car new over 2 years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with the car in 44,000 relatively hard miles beyond the recalls, which you kind of have to expect from a first year car. Easily one of the best investments I have ever made.