2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worse Car Ever
By Myrna on 10/17/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It should of been a red flag from day one. When I test drove the car. But I was in need of a car so I purchased the car. And since then it has been a nightmare. I have had this car for 10 months now. And I have put in over 1,000 in repairs. Timing belt went out 3 months after I got the car. 3 months later ignition lock had to be repaired. Right now it is actually in the shop. Shakes a lot. Engine light keeps coming back on. Has leaks. I still have a year to pay it off. I recommend never, ever buy a used ford. They are a nightmare and you will regret it. I will never purchase a ford again. The radio didn't even work and yes the knob from the volume started melting in the summer.

Responsible Owner
By George on 08/24/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

Bought the car because we needed a small wagon for commuting. At the time of purchase very little existed in the market for choice. Ford had brought the Focus design from Europe to the states and we liked its crisp lines and the fact that it was a wagon. We found my 6'4" frame fit comfortably in the cabin and the responsive road handling fun to drive. We had the recalls from Ford fixed and thru the years of ownership I have had only a few unexpected repairs. Overall I found preventive maintenance is the key to the 150000 miles of service this car has provided. I expect to own the car another 150000 miles before I aquire a new replacement. We are pleased with its performance and reliability.

Loved the car, Hate the mishaps
By Jess on 07/16/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I was the first owner of my Focus and the last. I loved the car and will miss it. Had a few recalls. The down part was had to replace motor at 90,000, always felt like was putting new tires on the car due to some alignment issues (mechanics could never figure it out) and had trouble with the exhaust. Up to recently was doing good and out of no where the motor went again only 70,000 miles later. I hated to give it up but hate to keep putting work into it. Had to give it up and look for a new one. Would I buy another Focus? Yes I would but not the new ones, think they are ugly.

Fun in the twisties
By John on 07/06/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It's been a great first car. Had a few recalls, but Ford fixed them all no charge. Other than that, just replace a sensor or two (I have 90k miles) wheel bearings, brakes. But those are all wear items, so its not really a problem. Never left me stranded. OK power with the Zetec DOHC engine, 0-60 in a 5-speed takes under 9 seconds, which is fine for freeway merging. Handles great for such a cheap car, very fun when the road gets twisty.

Great car for the price
By jwo7777777 on 06/18/08 06:15 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Handles like a good rally car. It can take corners at speed, but has a slightly higher ride height than other vehicles of the same size. I replaced the swaybar(stabilizer bar) bushings with stiffer polyurethane for a little less body roll. I have driven this vehicle for 7.5 years and have enjoyed it immensely. Sure, some things had to be fixed under recall, and some things broke that I had to pay for after the warranty ended, but overall I am happy. I have had worse experiences with cars I bought new. The bucket seats are built for average frames or smaller. Wide shouldered or heavier people (250+ lbs.) will notice marked problems after several years

Love my Focus!
By Jen on 06/17/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

I've been a truck girl my whole life, but had to go to a car for better fuel economy. It wasn't a hard switch. I can flip down the back seat and fill up the cargo area, tow a small trailer, put stuff on the roof rack or put passengers in the back comfortably - all while zipping around (zippy engine) getting great gas milage & being able to park anywhere! The ride is smooth & quiet, handles great, has comfortable roomy interior, and the exterior looks alot more stylish & modern than most other station wagons. I've put on many miles, keep up on maintance, but have had no problems. It is very reliable. A very fun & versatile car, and consumer reports rates it tops. All & all, I love this car!

Great small car
By terry on 05/30/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

I owned a Ford Focus, purchased new. I just traded it for a new 2008 Focus. I only out 44000 miles on it, but I never had any out of warranty problems. Many recalls, and even one 1000.00 repair that was taken care of from a TSB report (coil springs). This car was very reliable and fun and easy to drive, great gas mileage. Always started, never broke down. The only repairs we had were recalls and the master cylinder went almost 2 weeks after we purchased, but it was under warranty. Liked it so much I bought the new one.

2000 Focus SE Sedan
By Stewart on 05/27/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2005, with 23K Miles on it. It now has 63K miles. I had the coil spring on the driver side snap. In 2007 I had the ingition go out, I wasn't able to turn the key to start the car, that was around $300 to replace. But to be honest, that's the only thing I've really had go wrong with the car, well.. the paint on the side molding on the pax door came off, I have no idea why, now it's just a black strip. Overall though, I would buy this car again, it's very well built

Love the Lil Red Car
By InFocus on 05/07/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Focus SE sight unseen from the local dealership to save wear on my F-150. I now have 230k miles on it and still love driving it. Only major problem was a ignition switch. I keep it tuned and have normal maintenance done. It has paid for itself many times over. I heard about all the issues shortly after buying it and was prepared for the worse. Thanks Ford for building a great little car.

I guess I got a good one
By EE on 02/22/08 18:21 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

165,000 miles and it's only now starting to have problems. I was a victim of the frozen ignition thing - if it's giving sticky warning signs, heed them! The timing belt isn't due until some ridiculous mileage, mine went at 155,000. If you are planning to keep the car long term, change it before Ford advises. No leaks of any kind, so far. I am a painter and have loved how much stuff I could cram in the back and still be able to park it in San Francisco, and the gas mileage is great. If you are looking at this used, try and find one where you can research the service history, I guess. I'm going to try and take this one to 200,000 miles.