Used 2000 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (74 reviews )

2001 Ford Focus hatchback
By BT

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Roomy interior, high off the ground, easy to maneuver, lots of pickup. Good gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Hatchback and cargo room; pep, handling ease.

Suggested Improvements

Even better gas mileage.

It's been good to us
By Steve

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Car is fun to drive, handles very well plenty of power (if you rev the heck out of it). The hatchback design is very useful. My son wrecked at 2 months and came very close to a total wreck, but it was fixed in the dealership body shop and we've put 135,000 miles on it since. No injuries, the car will take a heck of a whack. We've had a few problems, most attributable to damage from the wreck that wasn't caught (except for the drive train most of the front end, suspension included, was replaced) Fuel use is 28-32 mpg; average about 30. I realize some people have had a lot of trouble with these cars, but not us! One of the best we've owned.

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage, appearance, hatchback utility.

Suggested Improvements

More lumbar support in the seats, different design for the head rests, low beam light pattern.

Don't do it!
By sumkindawonderful

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I recently destroyed my 2000 Toyota Echo ... nothing ever went wrong with that car, I just was an idiot and crashed it. I had to buy a new car and immediately fell in love with my 2000 Kona Edition Ford Focus ZX3. I thought it was an upgrade from my Echo: power windows, power door locks, good sound, good pick up ... definitely a downgrade. Ignition doesn't release key all the time. Recall on fuel pump which before fixed caused engine to stall at 70mph on busy California freeway. Small plastic piece on window regulator broke window; taped up. Check engine light on & transmission problems. Grinding brakes all the time. Turn radio down and volume goes up ... list goes on and on.

Favorite Features

While it works it is fun to drive and pretty quick. When the seats reclining features work properly it is very cozy. Good sound. Trunk space very handy. I am sad because I love the look of my Kona; it's a pity I have to find a new car when I just got this one 2 months ago.

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling 2000 Focuses. I am sure that the newer models have been designed better but I have read hundreds and hundreds (out of thousands) of complaints about this model and year ... just stop selling it (and reimburse us car owners hahaha).

Ford Focus ZX3 Mediocre Car
By pumkin

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

The car is awful on gas, it currently leaks oil at 86000 KM's. It has its share of noises, but in the end it is reliable. Considering my 2000 Neon had bad spark plugs, broken springs, a rebuilt transmission, a new radiator and also leaked oil by the time it was 3 years old ... I can't complain. I love the little bubble design, which allows taller people to fit comfortably height-wise. The Zetec engine has enough power for its size, but mind you it's no racing machine. Finally, I can't stand how Ford has recalls that state "we will only pay if you know that this is the exact cause"... either you will replace a part that has been causing problems for Focuses or you won't.

Favorite Features

It is pretty standard ... the instrument cluster is all right.

FORD FOCUS IS A LEMON!
By Genevieve

2000 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I currently drive and own a 2000 Ford Focus. I haven't decided if this is the worst car I've ever owned or the Dodge Colt was. This car is in the shop every other month. I hate it with a passion & tell whoever I can not to buy one. Just wanted to make sure that my low marks on this dump would bring down the overall customer satisfaction that shows on the ratings.

Favorite Features

NONE!

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING! Especially the squeaky brakes. Doesn't matter what you do, they squeak. The car is horrible. I say stop making them. Because of this, I will never buy another Ford. This weekend I'm going to look at foreign cars!