Used 2000 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

You cant make lemonade out of this lemon
By Marie

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Since the car hit 60,000 miles it's been in and out of the shop constantly. With no warning, the clutch dropped out while I was driving 65 mph down the highway. Repair bill: $600. One of the parts they replaced broke again within two months. That was covered by a warranty, but it was still a pain and a safety issue. Then the fuel system went out, leaving me stranded. Thankfully, covered by a recall, but still a pain and a safety issue. Then the key wouldn't go into the ignition, again leaving me stranded. Repair: $300. Headlight wiring melted: $50/light. Air bags dysfunctional. Now the electrical is screwed up and the car dies unexpectedly at varying speeds while I'm driving it. What's next?

The car is cute and fits me (a small- sized female) well. Easy and fun to drive 5spd. Roomier on the inside than you'd expect, and the fold-down backseat comes in handy for hauling large items. When it's working properly, I really enjoy this car. Too bad that's only about half the time.

This car has potential, but it was not constructed well and the parts were cheaply made. I suggest Ford stop skimping on quality and put consumer safety first. An 'affordable' car should still be reliable.

Worse Car Ever
By Myrna

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It should of been a red flag from day one. When I test drove the car. But I was in need of a car so I purchased the car. And since then it has been a nightmare. I have had this car for 10 months now. And I have put in over 1,000 in repairs. Timing belt went out 3 months after I got the car. 3 months later ignition lock had to be repaired. Right now it is actually in the shop. Shakes a lot. Engine light keeps coming back on. Has leaks. I still have a year to pay it off. I recommend never, ever buy a used ford. They are a nightmare and you will regret it. I will never purchase a ford again. The radio didn't even work and yes the knob from the volume started melting in the summer.

Car had rims on it. nothing else.

Everything about the focus.

Loved the car, Hate the mishaps
By Jess

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I was the first owner of my Focus and the last. I loved the car and will miss it. Had a few recalls. The down part was had to replace motor at 90,000, always felt like was putting new tires on the car due to some alignment issues (mechanics could never figure it out) and had trouble with the exhaust. Up to recently was doing good and out of no where the motor went again only 70,000 miles later. I hated to give it up but hate to keep putting work into it. Had to give it up and look for a new one. Would I buy another Focus? Yes I would but not the new ones, think they are ugly.

The seats were comfy, good gas mileage, and loved the trunk space.

Hated that the paint rusted so fast, kept up with detailing it and still had a lot of rust. My radio stunk, would sometimes randomly shut off or not get reception

Fun in the twisties
By John

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It's been a great first car. Had a few recalls, but Ford fixed them all no charge. Other than that, just replace a sensor or two (I have 90k miles) wheel bearings, brakes. But those are all wear items, so its not really a problem. Never left me stranded. OK power with the Zetec DOHC engine, 0-60 in a 5-speed takes under 9 seconds, which is fine for freeway merging. Handles great for such a cheap car, very fun when the road gets twisty.

Handling is great. Acceleration is OK. Gas mileage! I average 27-29 with mostly city/highway traffic driving. Cabin ergonomics, and the steering wheel feels great. You sit up high, so its a good transition vehicle from an SUV or truck. Crash test results are excellent.

Stock tires stink, get rid of them. Brakes feel mushy, and I'm not a fan of rear drums although they seem to work OK. Seat needs better lower back support. The fog lights are essentially useless although they look cool. A bit more power would be nice.

2000 Focus SE Sedan
By Stewart

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2005, with 23K Miles on it. It now has 63K miles. I had the coil spring on the driver side snap. In 2007 I had the ingition go out, I wasn't able to turn the key to start the car, that was around $300 to replace. But to be honest, that's the only thing I've really had go wrong with the car, well.. the paint on the side molding on the pax door came off, I have no idea why, now it's just a black strip. Overall though, I would buy this car again, it's very well built

The large headlamps, the curves on the body. That I can raise the seat up and down a good way. Love the MPG's I get.

Probably all taken care of with the new 08 Focus.