2000 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
A few problems here & there.
By KaitlynK383 on 12/21/08 17:01 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from a used car dealership. It's been pretty good. I keep having trouble with it's engine though. Somehow the tps sensor, or something like that isn't reading anything from my engine. So my acceleration reallly really stinks right now. My horn also stopped working--not good, at all. I had a little problem a couple months ago with my abs--it ended up to be a loose wiring problem. Which has been happening a lot. Other than that, I love my Ford Focus. I think it is acting up just cause it has a lot of miles on it. It gets really good gas mileage. I drive it a lot. And I still only have to fill it up, on average every 1 and a half weeks.

You cant make lemonade out of this lemon
By Marie on 11/19/08 20:52 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Since the car hit 60,000 miles it's been in and out of the shop constantly. With no warning, the clutch dropped out while I was driving 65 mph down the highway. Repair bill: $600. One of the parts they replaced broke again within two months. That was covered by a warranty, but it was still a pain and a safety issue. Then the fuel system went out, leaving me stranded. Thankfully, covered by a recall, but still a pain and a safety issue. Then the key wouldn't go into the ignition, again leaving me stranded. Repair: $300. Headlight wiring melted: $50/light. Air bags dysfunctional. Now the electrical is screwed up and the car dies unexpectedly at varying speeds while I'm driving it. What's next?

Worse Car Ever
By Myrna on 10/17/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It should of been a red flag from day one. When I test drove the car. But I was in need of a car so I purchased the car. And since then it has been a nightmare. I have had this car for 10 months now. And I have put in over 1,000 in repairs. Timing belt went out 3 months after I got the car. 3 months later ignition lock had to be repaired. Right now it is actually in the shop. Shakes a lot. Engine light keeps coming back on. Has leaks. I still have a year to pay it off. I recommend never, ever buy a used ford. They are a nightmare and you will regret it. I will never purchase a ford again. The radio didn't even work and yes the knob from the volume started melting in the summer.

Loved the car, Hate the mishaps
By Jess on 07/16/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I was the first owner of my Focus and the last. I loved the car and will miss it. Had a few recalls. The down part was had to replace motor at 90,000, always felt like was putting new tires on the car due to some alignment issues (mechanics could never figure it out) and had trouble with the exhaust. Up to recently was doing good and out of no where the motor went again only 70,000 miles later. I hated to give it up but hate to keep putting work into it. Had to give it up and look for a new one. Would I buy another Focus? Yes I would but not the new ones, think they are ugly.

Fun in the twisties
By John on 07/06/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

It's been a great first car. Had a few recalls, but Ford fixed them all no charge. Other than that, just replace a sensor or two (I have 90k miles) wheel bearings, brakes. But those are all wear items, so its not really a problem. Never left me stranded. OK power with the Zetec DOHC engine, 0-60 in a 5-speed takes under 9 seconds, which is fine for freeway merging. Handles great for such a cheap car, very fun when the road gets twisty.

Great small car
By terry on 05/30/08 19:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned a Ford Focus, purchased new. I just traded it for a new 2008 Focus. I only out 44000 miles on it, but I never had any out of warranty problems. Many recalls, and even one 1000.00 repair that was taken care of from a TSB report (coil springs). This car was very reliable and fun and easy to drive, great gas mileage. Always started, never broke down. The only repairs we had were recalls and the master cylinder went almost 2 weeks after we purchased, but it was under warranty. Liked it so much I bought the new one.

2000 Focus SE Sedan
By Stewart on 05/27/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2005, with 23K Miles on it. It now has 63K miles. I had the coil spring on the driver side snap. In 2007 I had the ingition go out, I wasn't able to turn the key to start the car, that was around $300 to replace. But to be honest, that's the only thing I've really had go wrong with the car, well.. the paint on the side molding on the pax door came off, I have no idea why, now it's just a black strip. Overall though, I would buy this car again, it's very well built

Love the Lil Red Car
By InFocus on 05/07/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Focus SE sight unseen from the local dealership to save wear on my F-150. I now have 230k miles on it and still love driving it. Only major problem was a ignition switch. I keep it tuned and have normal maintenance done. It has paid for itself many times over. I heard about all the issues shortly after buying it and was prepared for the worse. Thanks Ford for building a great little car.

FOCUS = Fix Or Curse Until Stolen
By Jeff on 01/27/08 05:36 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is an absolute piece of garbage. I got it as a commuter car for nothing but highway driving. I drive 60 miles a day at 65 in a straight line. Where do I begin to describe the problems? The interior is cheap and flimsy. The radio dial literally melts in high heat. The car feels like it will fall apart at 65. Awful road noise. The seats seem to consist of a cloth, cardboard, and styrofoam mixture. Reliability is terrible. I had it in the shop for routine mechanical and electrical problems every 6 months. It once shut off on a highway, literally turning off at 60 mph. Do not, under any circumstances, buy this car. Spend the extra money on a civic and save on repairs.

Stinks to be me
By notafocusfan on 03/28/07 18:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have driven my car since I bought it because I was a single parent and could get free labor to fix it and could not afford to buy a new car. This car is really bad. It is great because it still runs but it had to have 2 ignition switches, countless brakes, rotors and tires every 20,000 miles. We have lifetime brakes now and it is eating them too. It had to have a new motor at only 90,000 miles in 2005. It dropped a valve seat. New oxygen sensors twice. It now shakes and rattles the dash sounds horrible.