2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
So so car
By Evil Focus on 08/29/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about 2 1/2 years, and I would have to say I have had my share of problems. A few months after I got it, I was left stranded because it just wouldn't start (only clicked). After replacing the solenoid at 30k miles the car did ok. The tires seem to wear down quicker then any other car I've had. About a year went by with no problems then I got a transmission leak at 55k miles. Can't forget about all the recalls including the fuel pump that died on me as well. Also about a month ago the ignition decided to lock up, leaving me stranded again. And just the other day my alternator went which cost $350. Besides that, the car isn't too bad. I would recommend a newer model.

Disappointed
By Red Focus on 05/23/05 19:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Focus started to have problems last year, around 70,000 miles. Automatic door lock won't work. Passenger door won't unlock anymore. Have to crawl over the driver's seat. Tumbler locked up ignition a couple of weeks ago. New ignition: $320! I like the car. But it's been having major problems now.

210,000 Miles and Still Ticking
By Nevada Paul on 05/07/05 22:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I commute 145 miles a day; in 5 years it has never left me stranded. Replaced brakes once at 190K. No major repairs. ZTEC engine, 5 speed manual transmission. By slowing down from 80 to 75 MPH, mileage went from 30 to 34 mpg. Would I buy another FORD, you bet.

It's been a great little car!
By Blondibear on 03/19/05 13:35 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 18 cars since I started driving in 1978. This is the first brand new car I purchased after owning at least 10 previous Fords. I have truly enjoyed this car. Its reliability has been 100% - I have never been left stranded. It rides and drives like a much more expensive car, and has plenty of leg and headroom for this tall, plus sized girl! Admittedly, I do favor Fords overall, but when I go to buy another car next year, it will most likely be another Focus.

Mixed Emotions About This Car
By ryguy on 01/19/05 11:19 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Reading all the reviews, I feel lucky not to have so many repairs but I have had my share. My rear window power motor broke 2 times in a year and Ford wants $300 to fix again since the warranty expired. It has tape on to keep it up. Was hit in the front and back at low speed and held up great, can't say that about the Corolla that folded like a tent. Cramped front seat since I am 6 foot 2. I have 50,000 miles and the car hasnt had any major repairs but that is because I do routine maintenance and have a good mechanic. Wish car had more power and I wish everyday I upgraded to CD player instead of factory tape player. I thrash this car every day driving to LAX airport so it is my kick around car.

Focus
By liv on 12/31/04 19:00 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Focus the year it came out in 2000. I had about one good year until many recalls came out. I was stranded out of state when the fuel pump broke, and it wasn't until year later that I recieved a notice for recall for the fuel pump. I had the replace the head gasket and the water pump. Many valves leak and it has steadily lost fuel efficiency. I would not reccommed buying the Focus.

Don't believe the reviews!
By Johnny P on 12/28/04 00:49 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for 3 months now, and I have to say; don't believe all these bad reviews. I am 6'2" and I fit into this car perfectly. I love the European styling and the ergonomical interior; everything is in its right place. Fit and finish is top notch. The car handles exceedingly well for its price class, which is what won it car of the year. Only issue I have had to deal with was a fussy ignition. Other than that, it starts on freezing cold mornings, gets me to and from work, feels very safe and sure footed in all weather conditions. If you get a 5 speed, it will make a tractor sound in low RPMs... this is normal and called gear rollover. Did I mention its a blast to DRIVE.

Unfulfilling
By snabdangler on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Bought brand new, now at 118K, at the time there wasn't many options for a small wagon. Reliability has been AWFUL. O2 sensor is always malfunctioning ..check engine light can only be off for a week or so, learned to live with. Many expensive parts; ABS sensor, calipers, wiring, wheel bearings, front suspension. Now tranny starting to act weird, also many recalls have been tiresome (lost track, at least 10 of them). Perhaps Ford has worked out the problems, they now offer longer warantee, (we had 3 yr, 36k mile), but I don't appreciate paying to be a tester. Interior is cheap, stereo is cheap. Cup holders, WHO CARES? (they are bad though). Seats are like boards.

great car
By SaRaH on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car before starting college. It's been a great car. It did have a fuel pump recall, but other than that I haven't had any more problems. It is a very dependable car and I would recommend it.

Win/Lose a little
By ShnMobile on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I love the car itself. Nice interior and very comfortable. Handles my crazy driving...so it definitely rides well. The only things I have disliked are the recalls. The fuel pump especially. This was really bad and almost left me stranded a few times, until the recall came to the rescue. Had to have radio fixed a few months after buying, and the radio piece still pops out randomly. Get the extended warranty just in case. Love the design of the car though. Roomy even though it's a "small" car.