2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
2001 Ford Focus hatchback
By BT on 03/04/06 07:15 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Roomy interior, high off the ground, easy to maneuver, lots of pickup. Good gas mileage.

It's been good to us
By Steve on 02/20/06 21:11 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Car is fun to drive, handles very well plenty of power (if you rev the heck out of it). The hatchback design is very useful. My son wrecked at 2 months and came very close to a total wreck, but it was fixed in the dealership body shop and we've put 135,000 miles on it since. No injuries, the car will take a heck of a whack. We've had a few problems, most attributable to damage from the wreck that wasn't caught (except for the drive train most of the front end, suspension included, was replaced) Fuel use is 28-32 mpg; average about 30. I realize some people have had a lot of trouble with these cars, but not us! One of the best we've owned.

Don't do it!
By sumkindawonderful on 02/20/06 16:13 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I recently destroyed my 2000 Toyota Echo ... nothing ever went wrong with that car, I just was an idiot and crashed it. I had to buy a new car and immediately fell in love with my 2000 Kona Edition Ford Focus ZX3. I thought it was an upgrade from my Echo: power windows, power door locks, good sound, good pick up ... definitely a downgrade. Ignition doesn't release key all the time. Recall on fuel pump which before fixed caused engine to stall at 70mph on busy California freeway. Small plastic piece on window regulator broke window; taped up. Check engine light on & transmission problems. Grinding brakes all the time. Turn radio down and volume goes up ... list goes on and on.

Ford Focus ZX3 Mediocre Car
By pumkin on 01/24/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

The car is awful on gas, it currently leaks oil at 86000 KM's. It has its share of noises, but in the end it is reliable. Considering my 2000 Neon had bad spark plugs, broken springs, a rebuilt transmission, a new radiator and also leaked oil by the time it was 3 years old ... I can't complain. I love the little bubble design, which allows taller people to fit comfortably height-wise. The Zetec engine has enough power for its size, but mind you it's no racing machine. Finally, I can't stand how Ford has recalls that state "we will only pay if you know that this is the exact cause"... either you will replace a part that has been causing problems for Focuses or you won't.

FORD FOCUS IS A LEMON!
By Genevieve on 01/13/06 15:18 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I currently drive and own a 2000 Ford Focus. I haven't decided if this is the worst car I've ever owned or the Dodge Colt was. This car is in the shop every other month. I hate it with a passion & tell whoever I can not to buy one. Just wanted to make sure that my low marks on this dump would bring down the overall customer satisfaction that shows on the ratings.

Better Car than most in class
By jimKC on 01/08/06 12:14 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Owned mine since new in 2000. Other than recalls that I think are positive, I've had a few minor repairs except for a transmission cylinder. Replaced front rotors at 50,000 miles of mostly city driving. Much less problems than 2 VWs I've owned but more than the Toyotas. But then again I only paid $13,500 new.

Hasbro makes better cars.
By DDB365 on 12/20/05 00:35 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car and it was a nightmare. Within the first three weeks it sound like my left rear wheel was about to fall off, my hazard lights kept blinking nonstop, my brakes kept sqeaking really loud all the time, the ignition cylinder broke, and I had to pay $100 for a pair of new keys because they have a stupid chip in them. My lumbar seat lever broke on both sides, my rear seat belts didn't work, my sun visor screws came out, my rear tail light cover melted because the light bulb over heated. These cars have really cheap parts. Same on Ford; you would think after all of these years of experience Ford has they would have made a better product.

Mixed bag
By dbf on 04/29/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Focus since I bought it new in 2000. Unless you really can't afford otherwise, I don't think that I would recommend it. Maybe I got a lemon, but every problem I've seen on this site, I've had, and it's only got 36,000 on it (after 5 years!). Lots of recalls, but major mechanical problems (heating core, trans, various bizarre coils and tubes and valves). You really don't save that much on the sticker after all of the repairs. Also, it was fast & fun to drive for the first two years, then consistently idled high, was sluggish and generally seems to be dying, despite going in for repairs once a month these days. Ford service (especially dealers) is abysmal. Sad part is that I'm attached to it.

Focus was good for first year, stinks now
By Manfredo Sauce on 03/24/05 16:28 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Saucy car but breaks down after a year. It was awesome in high school, then i had to keep going for recalls to the dealership, and a noise from the rear wheel never went away - even after having the dealership fix it 3 times in a row! They probably just sit around and wish I would forget about the problem but it's difficult when you're driving with noise in the back of your car and you get embarrassed when people ask you waht the noises are. It's fun to drive but the road noise is killing me. I wouldn't be surprised if my hearing decreased due to this car. All my family buys is Fords but i am disappointed.

Selling because of key
By chr2000 on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new and ignition cylinder has had to be replaced 4 times. I put key in ignition and won't turn. As I'm sure it will happen again, I sell. Tired of getting stuck and towed to a dealer who tells me I don't know how to use a key! Also, brake problems and rear hatch lock goes twice. This car only has 41,000 miles. After owning a number of Ford products, won't buy one again. This car has been a terrible disappointment.