Used 2000 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )

Wonderful, Wonderful
By gsdallen

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

When looking for a small wagon I had certain criteria. I needed something that would fit my family of people and pets. The Focus is economical, stylish, and fun to drive. It truly is the vehicle for me and others who are looking for a small wagon...whose numbers are dwindling.

Favorite Features

The size is great, it is economical and sturdy.

Suggested Improvements

I would love it if the upholstery was leather or even simulated, just something that would simply wipe clean.

The Worst Car EVER sold
By Jaki

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car with 60,000 miles on it. I have got to admit now that I was down in the dumps when I bought that Ford nightmare. The next day as I was driving to work the Ford nightmare had a fuel pump problem, and then the timing belt literally exploded and then oil leak and then fuel leak and then the AC broke down and then the water pump broke down and then the back power windows broke down and the car stereo broke down -- I had to hit it hard with my fist for it to function several times and then the Ford nightmare is a noise box and then and then and then. How many times did I say "and then" - I have lost count. Mayday Mayday Mayday DO NOT EVER BUY a FORD EVER Please...

Favorite Features

I'm a polite guy I really do not want to curse.

Suggested Improvements

Send it to the dumpster. Do not listen to their innovation marketing trap.

leaking coolant
By 1432

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Leaking coolant after 33,000 miles; dealer replaced water pump twice. At 65,000 miles again leaking coolant; per dealer diagnosis thermostat housing froze and leaked. This ruined water pump. Dealer changed water pump, again twice. This suggested that quality of parts are bad. All total this car has had 5 water pumps for the first 65,000 miles. Car was taken to independent mechanic. After more tests to find cause of loosing coolant, it was determined that coolant was passing to cylinder and head repair has to be done. This problem is in addition to transmission electronic component failing, rear window not working, and the rough idling causing vibration.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, large cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality; will be the only way Ford will gain market share.

Will Never Buy Ford Again!
By Helen

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Sad, but the Focus really soured me on all Fords. What hasn't gone wrong on this car? Despite the recalls just since I've had it, the $2400 transmission put in at 70K, the extra $1000 it will take for MORE O2 sensors, fuel gauge sensor, etc. and the additional $1,000 I've put in since I've had it (if you add it all up, it's about what the trade in is worth), I've had it with this car. Once one thing goes, everything goes.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, roominess on the inside, and great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

More reliability! You buy a cheap car because you don't have the money to keep shelling out on repairs. My Chevy Cavalier (voted worst by most owners) had one repair in 10 years. Quite a comparison!

Don't buy it
By Ryan

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Lets see. At 15,000 miles i had to get new brakes and throttle body. At 45,000 miles I already replaced the oxygen sensor twice. I had to replace the shocks twice. The air conditioner broke, the heat sometimes worked, the wipers sometimes worked. At 73,000 I had to replace the transmission. At 74,000 my brakes failed. (They wouldn't work at all).

Favorite Features

I liked the acceleration, the joy of driving it.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality cars. I own a Toyota with 300,000 miles, and it has less problems than a 4-year old car!