2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worse Car Ever
By Myrna on 10/17/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It should of been a red flag from day one. When I test drove the car. But I was in need of a car so I purchased the car. And since then it has been a nightmare. I have had this car for 10 months now. And I have put in over 1,000 in repairs. Timing belt went out 3 months after I got the car. 3 months later ignition lock had to be repaired. Right now it is actually in the shop. Shakes a lot. Engine light keeps coming back on. Has leaks. I still have a year to pay it off. I recommend never, ever buy a used ford. They are a nightmare and you will regret it. I will never purchase a ford again. The radio didn't even work and yes the knob from the volume started melting in the summer.

Loved the car, Hate the mishaps
By Jess on 07/16/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I was the first owner of my Focus and the last. I loved the car and will miss it. Had a few recalls. The down part was had to replace motor at 90,000, always felt like was putting new tires on the car due to some alignment issues (mechanics could never figure it out) and had trouble with the exhaust. Up to recently was doing good and out of no where the motor went again only 70,000 miles later. I hated to give it up but hate to keep putting work into it. Had to give it up and look for a new one. Would I buy another Focus? Yes I would but not the new ones, think they are ugly.

Fun in the twisties
By John on 07/06/08 11:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

It's been a great first car. Had a few recalls, but Ford fixed them all no charge. Other than that, just replace a sensor or two (I have 90k miles) wheel bearings, brakes. But those are all wear items, so its not really a problem. Never left me stranded. OK power with the Zetec DOHC engine, 0-60 in a 5-speed takes under 9 seconds, which is fine for freeway merging. Handles great for such a cheap car, very fun when the road gets twisty.

2000 Focus SE Sedan
By Stewart on 05/27/08 14:52 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2005, with 23K Miles on it. It now has 63K miles. I had the coil spring on the driver side snap. In 2007 I had the ingition go out, I wasn't able to turn the key to start the car, that was around $300 to replace. But to be honest, that's the only thing I've really had go wrong with the car, well.. the paint on the side molding on the pax door came off, I have no idea why, now it's just a black strip. Overall though, I would buy this car again, it's very well built

Love the Lil Red Car
By InFocus on 05/07/08 12:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my used Focus SE sight unseen from the local dealership to save wear on my F-150. I now have 230k miles on it and still love driving it. Only major problem was a ignition switch. I keep it tuned and have normal maintenance done. It has paid for itself many times over. I heard about all the issues shortly after buying it and was prepared for the worse. Thanks Ford for building a great little car.

FOCUS = Fix Or Curse Until Stolen
By Jeff on 01/27/08 05:36 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

This car is an absolute piece of garbage. I got it as a commuter car for nothing but highway driving. I drive 60 miles a day at 65 in a straight line. Where do I begin to describe the problems? The interior is cheap and flimsy. The radio dial literally melts in high heat. The car feels like it will fall apart at 65. Awful road noise. The seats seem to consist of a cloth, cardboard, and styrofoam mixture. Reliability is terrible. I had it in the shop for routine mechanical and electrical problems every 6 months. It once shut off on a highway, literally turning off at 60 mph. Do not, under any circumstances, buy this car. Spend the extra money on a civic and save on repairs.

Good at First
By nada on 02/01/07 19:47 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

When looking for my first car I wanted something affordable, reliable, and good looking. I bought it used with about 55,000 miles. And over the course of the last 4 years with this car I have replaced the ignition 2 times, replaced my alternator, had to have the trunk fixed because it wouldn't open, had my brake shoes fall off while driving (probably not a defect with the car, but it was one more thing I had to pay for), my power door locks broke causing the driver door to not open, which meant crawling through the passenger door. And the back door open sensor is busted. I have a power steering fluid leak. And a valve in the engine blew, which was approx $350 to replace. Just be wary.

My Toy Mustang
By Marv on 01/10/07 09:15 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I have been a GM fan prior to this car. We have over 200,000 miles on this car and the only thing that we have done is replace the front brake rotors. My son is a Ford Tech and does all the PM's on the car. Will I buy other Focus? Yes! It has been the BEST car I have own, period. Ford build a GREAT car.

Fun car but lots of problems!
By KTW on 08/21/06 06:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used 2 years ago. I love the look and feel of my car but I've had to totally replace the air conditioning as well as 2 of the power windows. Now my key will not go into the ignition and from everything I've been reading this is a common problem. I don't feel safe driving a car that may leave me stranded somewhere. I hate to get rid of it because its really good on gas and very nice looking. :-(

Nice But Also Irritating
By Martman on 08/30/05 21:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Back window motors needed to be replaced twice under warranty. After the warranty expired both back window motors broke AGAIN and the windows dropped into the back doors. They are now held up with tape. Get this ... it will cost $400 per door/window to replace. Ford doesn't care, it's out of warranty. Crazy. I can't leave anything of any value in the car since the car can't be locked. I refuse to pay $800 for this problem! It's their problem. Other than that I love the car.