Used 2000 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Had Better
By Mavwreck1975

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I have had four Fords before this car and I can easily say this is the only one I'm not satisfied with. I bouth it used with 20k on it. At 25k, a bad vibration started coming from the rear wheels. Now at 34k, the headlights turn on and off randomly and the automatic transmission slips out of gear when the lights shut off. Oddly this problem has no effect on the engine. My two Crown Victorias and my Escort were much better cars.

Favorite Features

Comfort, stereo, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY!!!

Review Ford ZX3 Hatchback
By Horstedt

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

This is an excellent small car with good power (5 speed trans.),excellent manuver- ability,ample interior roominess,and very good styling. As a means of local and intermediate travel, it is an excellent choice. I have used it to travel from San Francisco to Oregon in comfort and safety (good breaks and air bags front and side).

Favorite Features

Styling, accelleration, handling and safety.

Suggested Improvements

provide split rear seat cushion to match split back

First Car - Excellent Choice!
By LovedMyFocus

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I had this car 7 1/2 years, over 100K miles, and ran it into the ground. I think I performed major maintenance once, at 60,000 mi. I replaced the brakes twice, rotors once. It only had one problem ever, where oil was dripping on something and I could smell it through the vents. Easily fixed. I was in a collision and the car was minimally damaged with the exception of the airbags. I was really hard on the exterior: it sustained a lot of damage, but still always ran like a champ. I traded it for a Subaru AWD when I moved to NH because it slid a lot in the snow cause it was light. But if the Focus came in AWD and still in a hatchback, I would be driving one of those instead! Loved this car!

Favorite Features

Saved me with minimal injury more than once in accidents. NO mechanical problems with little maintenance. I am a converted hatchback lover forever! It's amazing what you can fit into them. Sadly, they don't make the Focus hatchbacks anymore. I loved the front pocket on the seat covers for the KonaSE

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastic is kind of cheap looking, but it was an inexpensive car. When I purchased it I had an option of automatic doors and windows OR air conditioning. Needless to say I chose AC. However, this was the first year of Focus and I'm sure it's not a problem anymore.

Great Little Commuter!
By lucy

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 7 years, and it has been a great commuting vehicle. It is very dependable (only one major repair), and fun to drive. It seems very roomy on the inside compared with other compacts I have been in, and I like the high position of the driver's seat. Great visibility.

Favorite Features

Front seats are very structured and supportive. Also love the hatch.

Love My Ford Focus
By edcetera

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Ford Focus is the only vehicle that I've bought brand new ... on an angry whim when another Ford I owned broke down one too many times. Turns out, it was a great move. I've had it now for 12 years and it has 335,00 miles on it. I'm shooting for 400,000! More importantly, other than routine maintainance, the car has only had mechanical problems 3 times in all those years and miles (a broken fan belt, and two failed alternators). That's it! There are some minor things that have eventually failed, such as a CD player which, for some weird reason, only allows me to change CDs the first thing in the morning. I still drive it daily for work. I still drive it daily with no fears.

Favorite Features

Very, very dependable car .... I've had only 3 mechanical problems in 12 years! Cute looking, comfortable to sit in for long periods. Great sound system. I love my Focus!

Suggested Improvements

It does seem that the brakes wear out faster than they should. They also squeek something.