Used 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Terrific
By Clevelander

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

10 years and still going strong. Highly reliable. Love my car as much today as the day I bought it. Doesn't look or feel dated.

Favorite Features

The sound system, comfy seat even on long trips, sporty, easy handling. Great comfort and visibility, especially for the shorter driver. More interior/cargo room than one might think.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was better in the snow.

First Car - Excellent Choice!
By LovedMyFocus

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I had this car 7 1/2 years, over 100K miles, and ran it into the ground. I think I performed major maintenance once, at 60,000 mi. I replaced the brakes twice, rotors once. It only had one problem ever, where oil was dripping on something and I could smell it through the vents. Easily fixed. I was in a collision and the car was minimally damaged with the exception of the airbags. I was really hard on the exterior: it sustained a lot of damage, but still always ran like a champ. I traded it for a Subaru AWD when I moved to NH because it slid a lot in the snow cause it was light. But if the Focus came in AWD and still in a hatchback, I would be driving one of those instead! Loved this car!

Favorite Features

Saved me with minimal injury more than once in accidents. NO mechanical problems with little maintenance. I am a converted hatchback lover forever! It's amazing what you can fit into them. Sadly, they don't make the Focus hatchbacks anymore. I loved the front pocket on the seat covers for the KonaSE

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastic is kind of cheap looking, but it was an inexpensive car. When I purchased it I had an option of automatic doors and windows OR air conditioning. Needless to say I chose AC. However, this was the first year of Focus and I'm sure it's not a problem anymore.

You get what you pay for
By pablo

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I think is a pretty decent car for the price I paid. I have read the reviews and I agree with some of the problems listed here. The brakes system vibrates and there is a light that comes on when I turn too sharply or hit a bump. I think this is a good car for someone without kids because the two door deal is uncomfortable at times for the ones seating in the back. I have seated in the back, nonetheless, and it is spatious, just kind of a pain to get in and out. Overall it is pretty handy, good design, the 5 speed may be better than the automatic transmition. I owned a Taurus for 2 years and the transmition broke down.

Favorite Features

design, top speed is awesome, corners and handling is good, the driver seats are high giving you great visibility of the road,

Suggested Improvements

cupholders are located in a retarded position, braking system is not the best feature, 4 door should be standard, better acceleration and fuel economy

Terrible Vehicle
By Terrible Vehicle

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

This is just a bad car. I bought brand new in 2000. The first two years I spent more time getting recalls done then driving. Then at about 100k miles the car fell apaprt. New clutch, front springs broke, battery, battery cables, battery itself, ac, heater, alternator, the list goes on. I've spent over 6k in the past two years trying to keep this car on the road. Please don't buy an early mondel focus. It will just be a money pit.

Favorite Features

Good get up and go. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality!!

Great after the first year
By HS in FL

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Purchased this car new in 2000. In the first year, we suffered through a few recalls and had the fuel pump replaced a couple of times. However, it seems everything has been fixed, because there have been no problems with the car since the warranty expired. It has only been in the shop for oil changes and other regular maintenance. Its not new anymore, but I can't justify getting a newer car when the old one is still reliable and gets very good gas mileage for an 8-year old.

Favorite Features

Stick shift. Surprising capacity for hauling things. Maneuverability. Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system. Leather seats. All the bells and whisltes of a newer car