Used 2000 Ford Focus ZTS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Nice Car with some problems
By L.A. Driver

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

I'm a first-time buyer and I purchased this car used. Within the 1st month, water kept fogging up the headlights (dealer wanted to charge me $300). I've had to replace the brakes twice in 2 years, and the brake pedal squeaks (loudly), had two recalls, and it rattles, and it produces too much brake dust. The interior side panel broke already and the latch on the passenger seat broke so you can't adjust seating anymore. While some of these problems can be rather annoying, I still love the car. I broke the family tradition of buying only Japanese cars when I got this one.

Favorite Features

Stereo is great, huge trunk space, alloy wheels are great (newer models come with hub caps now).

Suggested Improvements

IMPROVE brake system, better lumbar support for driver seat, more leg space for back seat passengers, and perhaps add a sunroof.

2000 Ford Focus 4dr ZTS
By Rick

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

Never had a problem with the car. Though I have received 7 recalls that were repaired. Average 26 mpg/33 mpg highway. Could use about 30 more hp. Car is tight and quick to respond. Fun to drive but does have too much road noise making normal conversations at 65 mph difficult.

Favorite Features

Steering very responsive and tight. Easy and fun to drive. Very reliable. No problems with car.

Suggested Improvements

30 more horsepower. Reduce road noise.

I hate this car
By dunndee

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

I am in the process of looking for a different car. I have had nothing but problems from this car from day one, and I bought it brand new. Tires, ignition, fuel pump, fuel lines, stereo, brakes, paint chipping, gas door, you name it, I have had it. Like other reviewers said, Ford does not care. I know it was the first year for this car, but they should fix what they have done wrong. It also has no power when air is on.

Favorite Features

It drives fast, and the stereo system is good.

Suggested Improvements

Everything that I named above.

Worst Car Ever. Avoid this vihicle.
By Triumph

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

This is the most recalled vehicle in history. I get about a recall a month on this piece of junk. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced twice. The ingnition lock has siezed up twice. Each time, the key would not even go into the ingintion. I found 30 pages of people on the internet who have had the same problem, yet Ford refuses to issue yet another recall to fix it for free, and felt just great about charging me $500 to fix the ignition. Now the water pump has developed a leak. All of this in less than 4 years.

Favorite Features

Nice engine. Good sound system. That's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality!!! Own up to obvious design faults in the ignition swithc. Ford service is terrible.

A great U.S.A. built car
By mboedy

2000 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan

I drive this car 55 miles one way to work. For 85000 miles there have been no problems-just maintenance like filters, tires, and brakes. I have the leather seats, cd player, and whatever else comes on the ZTS. This is a huge step up from the Escort I was using for a work car, and in fact I actually declared when I bought it "This is way too nice for a work car". This is a great commuter car, and is much more stylish than the rest of this class. I plan on driving this car another couple hundred thousand miles, since my previous Escorts all surpassed 250000 miles without any major work. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Good ergonomics, seats are outstanding in comfort, good gas mileage, easy to park, good visibility, MADE IN USA.

Suggested Improvements

This is the vehicle Ford should be experimenting on with hybrid technology, not the Escape. Same with the CVT trans. What kind of idiots are runing this company?