Used 2000 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )

Worse car I ever owned
By ltc_phil

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Seriously has been the worse car I have ever owned. I bought this car as a salvage title (front end damage, but no engine damage). It had around 80,000 miles on it. At around 107,000 miles the timing belt snapped - it's a zero tolerance engine - so the whole engine was destroyed. Mechanic says a new engine is around $1000 plus - with 30,000 mile warranty - well I won't get another used car with that, and I figure I should be able to get a 100,000 miles out of new engine - wrong. I hit about 70,000 miles and same thing - catostrophic damage to engine with the timing belt snapped again and put a rod through the engine block. I will never buy Ford again if they can't produce an engine

Favorite Features

When it ran - it ran well. It got good gas mileage in the summer, but dropped significantly in the winter

Suggested Improvements

Will not buy a Ford car again.

Mine was good
By carebearkon

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

My focus has been going strong for 184k miles, which probably isn't the norm. It idles rough from an unbalanced engine. The power locks and a/c don't work. The headlights are easily scratched and get really dim. The hatch doesn't hold open in the cold. I've had to replace the ignition ($300) struts ($400) ball joints ($500) and vacuum hose ($80) in the 60k miles I have owned it.

Favorite Features

CHEAP

Suggested Improvements

It's a decent, easy to fix car for cheap. Good for a first time driver or someone on a low budget. If you can afford it, get a better car.

Great car when it doesn't need repair
By ZM

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I really want to love this car. It has not left me stranded yet. But since I purchased it with 90K 2 years ago, I have put in nearly $4000 in repairs. None to my negligence. So buyer beware. The first year of the Focus is the most problematic. I will say that it has plenty of power and features for a small car. The wagon has tons of space as well.

Favorite Features

space, ride height, handling, looks, fuel economy 32mpg highway, 24 city, easy to work on yourself (you'll have to).

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality, smoother transmission, fewer cheap plastic parts,

Worst car I ever owned
By oregon girl

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This car was a nightmare. It had constant electrical problems, and a piston shattered at 120K miles. The mechanic told us that commonly happens even after only 40K miles. And once the new engine was put in, it made it a whole week before it started leaking oil like crazy. I told the poor lady who bought it from me about all the problems I knew it had, and gave her all the paperwork from all the repairs I'd had to make, but she called me the next day to ask for her money back because it started in with a new electrical problem. Horrible car.

Favorite Features

Roomy. That's the only nice thing I can say.

Suggested Improvements

Start making reliable cars.

Great until it hits 50k miles
By Samantha

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car in 2005 with 48k miles, now has 90k. Got great gas mileage up until about a year ago (avg 32 mpg mixed), now gets 22-24. Auto trans may be dying; shifting is labored. Have had to replace ignition lock (50k miles), coil (55k), a drum brake (65k--some kind of part that held it together WENT MISSING and the shoe was scraping the drum), motor mount (85k). Have had to put way too much money into this car since I got it, $1000+ for things that shouldn't break. Very concerned about the poor gas mileage lately; mechanics can't figure it out. Have had fuel system flushed but no change. Back bumper also lost a screw and is sagging. Looking for a Civic or Corolla now.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage (until recently), turn radius, roominess, folding back seats, dark window tint, back windshield wiper, stowaway space for donut tire.

Suggested Improvements

Vibrates a LOT, lots of road noise, ignition lock problem is well-known for this model but Ford won't pay, dials becoming unreadable. Factory jack is impossible to use.