2000 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 2.0L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )
Worse car I ever owned
By ltc_phil on 09/19/14 06:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Seriously has been the worse car I have ever owned. I bought this car as a salvage title (front end damage, but no engine damage). It had around 80,000 miles on it. At around 107,000 miles the timing belt snapped - it's a zero tolerance engine - so the whole engine was destroyed. Mechanic says a new engine is around $1000 plus - with 30,000 mile warranty - well I won't get another used car with that, and I figure I should be able to get a 100,000 miles out of new engine - wrong. I hit about 70,000 miles and same thing - catostrophic damage to engine with the timing belt snapped again and put a rod through the engine block. I will never buy Ford again if they can't produce an engine

Mine was good
By carebearkon on 05/18/14 17:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

My focus has been going strong for 184k miles, which probably isn't the norm. It idles rough from an unbalanced engine. The power locks and a/c don't work. The headlights are easily scratched and get really dim. The hatch doesn't hold open in the cold. I've had to replace the ignition ($300) struts ($400) ball joints ($500) and vacuum hose ($80) in the 60k miles I have owned it.

Great car when it doesn't need repair
By ZM on 01/19/10 10:15 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I really want to love this car. It has not left me stranded yet. But since I purchased it with 90K 2 years ago, I have put in nearly $4000 in repairs. None to my negligence. So buyer beware. The first year of the Focus is the most problematic. I will say that it has plenty of power and features for a small car. The wagon has tons of space as well.

Worst car I ever owned
By oregon girl on 08/02/09 21:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This car was a nightmare. It had constant electrical problems, and a piston shattered at 120K miles. The mechanic told us that commonly happens even after only 40K miles. And once the new engine was put in, it made it a whole week before it started leaking oil like crazy. I told the poor lady who bought it from me about all the problems I knew it had, and gave her all the paperwork from all the repairs I'd had to make, but she called me the next day to ask for her money back because it started in with a new electrical problem. Horrible car.

Great until it hits 50k miles
By Samantha on 05/03/09 21:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this car in 2005 with 48k miles, now has 90k. Got great gas mileage up until about a year ago (avg 32 mpg mixed), now gets 22-24. Auto trans may be dying; shifting is labored. Have had to replace ignition lock (50k miles), coil (55k), a drum brake (65k--some kind of part that held it together WENT MISSING and the shoe was scraping the drum), motor mount (85k). Have had to put way too much money into this car since I got it, $1000+ for things that shouldn't break. Very concerned about the poor gas mileage lately; mechanics can't figure it out. Have had fuel system flushed but no change. Back bumper also lost a screw and is sagging. Looking for a Civic or Corolla now.

2000 Focus SE Wagon
By Ron on 05/01/09 19:43 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I've had it almost 4 yrs & 28K miles. It's been a dependable vehicle, that's fun to drive & economical. It's only been scheduled maintenance costs & gas.

First Ford
By Canada10 on 02/22/09 06:40 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought my first Ford. Read up on issues. They were true. Not impressed as Ford states quality. Cheap feeling car. Original owner replace fuel pump, front brakes and front struts. I replace ignition switch, which should never, ever fail. Fuel mileage not very impressive in city. Have rattle in exhaust system, suspect cataytlic converter.

Responsible Owner
By George on 08/24/08 11:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought the car because we needed a small wagon for commuting. At the time of purchase very little existed in the market for choice. Ford had brought the Focus design from Europe to the states and we liked its crisp lines and the fact that it was a wagon. We found my 6'4" frame fit comfortably in the cabin and the responsive road handling fun to drive. We had the recalls from Ford fixed and thru the years of ownership I have had only a few unexpected repairs. Overall I found preventive maintenance is the key to the 150000 miles of service this car has provided. I expect to own the car another 150000 miles before I aquire a new replacement. We are pleased with its performance and reliability.

Love my Focus!
By Jen on 06/17/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I've been a truck girl my whole life, but had to go to a car for better fuel economy. It wasn't a hard switch. I can flip down the back seat and fill up the cargo area, tow a small trailer, put stuff on the roof rack or put passengers in the back comfortably - all while zipping around (zippy engine) getting great gas milage & being able to park anywhere! The ride is smooth & quiet, handles great, has comfortable roomy interior, and the exterior looks alot more stylish & modern than most other station wagons. I've put on many miles, keep up on maintance, but have had no problems. It is very reliable. A very fun & versatile car, and consumer reports rates it tops. All & all, I love this car!

I guess I got a good one
By EE on 02/22/08 18:21 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

165,000 miles and it's only now starting to have problems. I was a victim of the frozen ignition thing - if it's giving sticky warning signs, heed them! The timing belt isn't due until some ridiculous mileage, mine went at 155,000. If you are planning to keep the car long term, change it before Ford advises. No leaks of any kind, so far. I am a painter and have loved how much stuff I could cram in the back and still be able to park it in San Francisco, and the gas mileage is great. If you are looking at this used, try and find one where you can research the service history, I guess. I'm going to try and take this one to 200,000 miles.

1 2 3 4 5 next »