Used 2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great little car!
By Chuck

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, this car has proved to be economical, fun to drive, and very reliable. Original tires lasted 55K and replacements were good for 78K. The rear brakes were replaced at 125K even though they had 15% wear left. Am getting 50,000+ on front pads. City mpg 25+ and hwy 32. There were many recalls but all were completed to my satisfaction. Stranded twice when ignition lock seized, replaced the alternator, motor mounts, and timing belt (although it was in great shape at 133,000 miles, the spring tensioner was shot). A leaking valve cover gasket ruined the thermostat housing, but was able to perform these repairs myself. An excellent buy that I hope to drive for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

The handling and adequate power for highway driving.

Suggested Improvements

Improved testing would eliminate many recalls.

FOCUS on problems
By va1234

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I have had my Focus for 2 yrs now and I have actually driven it for 1.5 yrs because the rest of the time it was in the shop. The warranty company has put $5200 in repairs for the engine and suspension. The only thing that I like is the sound system, interior, and the exterior styling is ok. I have had alternator problems, starting problems (6 times for that one), cooling system, suspension, gaskets, and new steering column (1st week owned). The transmission is quirky and the vehicle has no power. THIS CAR WOULD RUN BETTER FLYING OFF A BRIDGE!!!

Favorite Features

The stereo and the interior fit and finish. They used nice materials that look nice together.

Suggested Improvements

Everything but the interior and stereo!

Great Car, Great Sound
By Fun to Drive

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Sony Focus for 5 years. It has been a great little car - very zippy with a great sound system! Bought really good 'piped' tires after the originals wore out - now it's even better. Mileage is easily over 30 mpg. When deciding whether or not to buy out my lease, the only factor for me was the price!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, great handling, zippy off the line.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension.

Ford fun
By highspeed

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my Ford Focus before arriving to Germany in July 2000. It has been a good car except the fact that the stereo lasted only 37 months. The bumper to bumper warranty at 36,000 is too short for cars being built today. The gas milage has only been about 27- 29 on highways with an automatic transmission. Still this car has been great in Germany and I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Sport look. It is sometimes mistaken as a smaller BMW. Stereo was great. Affordable and dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to have 4 years warranty or 45,000 miles. Focus needs the disel engine offered in Germany. It will sell.

I like it, but I won't get another one.
By sschultzy88

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after a deployment to Germany, where I got the chance to drive a Focus on the Autobahn. German model had a Turbo-diesel and four wheel disks, which aren't available here but made the highspeed rocket ride more controlable and economic-topped out at 220 km/Hr, approx 140 MPH. Great car! Mine makes noises when going over dips and bumps in the road. There is also a "clicking" noise that comes from the gear box while idling in neutral. Ford build quality leaves much to be desired, and even though I like the Focus I won't get another one.It's still a fun car, fair to good all around. Good stereo, but alas not the best of the Xplode line either.

Favorite Features

Suspension firm, corners well and gets great mileage on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to actually build a car that won't die at 100,000 miles, or earlier. The quality of parts and build is cheap, lowest bidder mentality. I wish that Ford was really "Quality #1" instead of "Quantity #1"