2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great little car!
By Chuck on 03/30/10 15:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, this car has proved to be economical, fun to drive, and very reliable. Original tires lasted 55K and replacements were good for 78K. The rear brakes were replaced at 125K even though they had 15% wear left. Am getting 50,000+ on front pads. City mpg 25+ and hwy 32. There were many recalls but all were completed to my satisfaction. Stranded twice when ignition lock seized, replaced the alternator, motor mounts, and timing belt (although it was in great shape at 133,000 miles, the spring tensioner was shot). A leaking valve cover gasket ruined the thermostat housing, but was able to perform these repairs myself. An excellent buy that I hope to drive for another 10 years.

FOCUS on problems
By va1234 on 05/12/06 18:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I have had my Focus for 2 yrs now and I have actually driven it for 1.5 yrs because the rest of the time it was in the shop. The warranty company has put $5200 in repairs for the engine and suspension. The only thing that I like is the sound system, interior, and the exterior styling is ok. I have had alternator problems, starting problems (6 times for that one), cooling system, suspension, gaskets, and new steering column (1st week owned). The transmission is quirky and the vehicle has no power. THIS CAR WOULD RUN BETTER FLYING OFF A BRIDGE!!!

Great Car, Great Sound
By Fun to Drive on 07/04/05 10:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Sony Focus for 5 years. It has been a great little car - very zippy with a great sound system! Bought really good 'piped' tires after the originals wore out - now it's even better. Mileage is easily over 30 mpg. When deciding whether or not to buy out my lease, the only factor for me was the price!

Ford fun
By highspeed on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought my Ford Focus before arriving to Germany in July 2000. It has been a good car except the fact that the stereo lasted only 37 months. The bumper to bumper warranty at 36,000 is too short for cars being built today. The gas milage has only been about 27- 29 on highways with an automatic transmission. Still this car has been great in Germany and I would buy another one.

I like it, but I won't get another one.
By sschultzy88 on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after a deployment to Germany, where I got the chance to drive a Focus on the Autobahn. German model had a Turbo-diesel and four wheel disks, which aren't available here but made the highspeed rocket ride more controlable and economic-topped out at 220 km/Hr, approx 140 MPH. Great car! Mine makes noises when going over dips and bumps in the road. There is also a "clicking" noise that comes from the gear box while idling in neutral. Ford build quality leaves much to be desired, and even though I like the Focus I won't get another one.It's still a fun car, fair to good all around. Good stereo, but alas not the best of the Xplode line either.

IT IS GREAT
By Brettisthegreatest on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

We bought ours and love it

Worst car ever!
By Screw Ford on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I bought this car believing the hype from both Consumer Reports and everywhere else. I have now owned my Focus for 2 years, and I have had it in the shop 12 times. Yup, 12 times. 6 recalls and 6 broken parts that were under warranty. I have never been more disappointed in any product in my entire life. Truly, Ford has continued along the tradition of the Pinto, where they calculate how much it will cost to replace broken stuff as being lower then how much it will cost to put in higher quality parts. It's a textbook cost-benefit analysis, and Ford wrote the textbook. Don't buy a Ford.

I'LL TAKE TWO
By Ken on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

I have bought 16 cars and this is by far the most car for the money. It has never been to the shop, handles great and looks good. A little more low end torque and it would be perfect. That didn't stop my wife and I from buying her one too.

2000 Ford Focus - Sony Limited Edition
By sfieldi on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus Sony Limited 4dr Sedan

Fun car to drive. Excellent suspension and a smooth ride. I have had no problems with this car. Excellent gas mileage. I average 35-36 mpg highway and 29 mpg city.