2000 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Worse car I ever owned
By ltc_phil on 09/19/14 06:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

Seriously has been the worse car I have ever owned. I bought this car as a salvage title (front end damage, but no engine damage). It had around 80,000 miles on it. At around 107,000 miles the timing belt snapped - it's a zero tolerance engine - so the whole engine was destroyed. Mechanic says a new engine is around $1000 plus - with 30,000 mile warranty - well I won't get another used car with that, and I figure I should be able to get a 100,000 miles out of new engine - wrong. I hit about 70,000 miles and same thing - catostrophic damage to engine with the timing belt snapped again and put a rod through the engine block. I will never buy Ford again if they can't produce an engine

Mine was good
By carebearkon on 05/18/14 17:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon

My focus has been going strong for 184k miles, which probably isn't the norm. It idles rough from an unbalanced engine. The power locks and a/c don't work. The headlights are easily scratched and get really dim. The hatch doesn't hold open in the cold. I've had to replace the ignition ($300) struts ($400) ball joints ($500) and vacuum hose ($80) in the 60k miles I have owned it.

Very Reliable, Very Forgiving, and Very Good MPG
By fusioncell on 01/19/14 04:44 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

159k miles now. 37Mpg hwy . Replaced coil pack, brakes, and thermostat housing were the only normal maintenance items. The sporty look and functionality of the ZX3 Hatchback still makes me happy. After 10 years of owning the 1st year made Focus, our daughter ran off the road through a ditch and cut down a few small trees with this car. She was unhurt, the Focus was bent but not broken beyond repair. A motor mount, a tie rod, a tire, and some exhaust rebending put her back in good balance. Yes, and some body work on the rear quarter... but that was the only real big expense. Everything was repairable by the weekend warrior skills of good neighbors. Great car !

Great engineering!Great car
By joser93 on 07/07/13 18:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Awsome car its been in the family for 13 years never huge repairs just maintance that i have performed always did oil changes on time transmission service a/c blows ice cold at 35 degrees engine has 120 hp and it beat a 2011honda si an audi s4 , audi v6, audi 1.8 turbo. Honda hatch 1.8 vtec honda crx with a 1.8 gsr so my focus can take them. Over all car has been great no major issues with motor has passed all smogs with no problems iys still runs at 14.67 :1 afr i get 35-40 mpg high way even at 3000 rpm

Great commuter car.
By anthony224 on 06/23/13 19:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I owned my focus for awhile now and I am well over 200k miles and it still runs like new and can drive anywhere while still getting great gas mileage. On average I get about 29-30 with mixed driving. The car is very reliable and has never let me down the only things I needed to replace on it was the 14 year old brake booster and a radiator hose that dry rotted. As long as you maintain the fluids and drive the car normally it should last you 200k miles+. Enough room to comfortably fit 3 adults and a 4th with a little effort. The car does great in the snow with the right tiers on the front. If your looking for a nice affordable car for daily driving look no further.

So far so good
By dperry25 on 04/02/13 19:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Got car in August 2011 with only 48,000 miles. 8 months and 10,000 miles later and I've had no issues. I have a pretty basic model with an automatic transmission. Gas mileage is good. Especially on the highway. I can fill the car up and the gauge doesn't even start to move for 78 miles. I've gotten a little over 370 miles to a tank with mixed city/highway driving. I've yet to drive it on a long trip but I'm sure it would easily go over 400 miles! My only concern with the car comes from what I read on the internet. I have the SOHC engine, aka SPI (split port injection) and according to the internet, they tend to drop valve seats. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me. I love my Focus.

Very reliable vehicle!
By yermom123 on 04/01/13 14:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable! I have had my Ford Focus for 12 years and had never had a major problem! Awesome gas milage at 32 mpg. I am six foot 270 pounds and it is a very confortable for me. My kids who are 5 ft. 5in. and 5ft. 6in. sat in the back seat for three hours driving to detriot with no complants. Has 200,000 miles on it and it still runs good. For its age it is still very stylish. Takes my wife to work 30 miles a day and only have to fill up the gas tank once a week. I would strongly recommend this car. Just gave it away for a 2009 chevy tahoe

Best car so far
By jagder on 03/31/13 22:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2003 with 70000. I now has 282000 miles on it and still runs good. Original clutch and no major repairs of any kind. The only problems was front spring which was recall and some electrical harness issues due to salt spray. Other than this just wear and tear items normal with putting lots of miles on a car. I have looked at and rented the 2nd and 3rd Gen Focus and they just do not compare to how good the 1st Gen is.

Love My Ford Focus
By edcetera on 11/13/12 18:59 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Ford Focus is the only vehicle that I've bought brand new ... on an angry whim when another Ford I owned broke down one too many times. Turns out, it was a great move. I've had it now for 12 years and it has 335,00 miles on it. I'm shooting for 400,000! More importantly, other than routine maintainance, the car has only had mechanical problems 3 times in all those years and miles (a broken fan belt, and two failed alternators). That's it! There are some minor things that have eventually failed, such as a CD player which, for some weird reason, only allows me to change CDs the first thing in the morning. I still drive it daily for work. I still drive it daily with no fears.

Great car that holds up very well
By lillymom3 on 10/17/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Focus as my first car in 2003 with 43,000. We've had one big issue - which was an electrical issue. I think it was a glitch for it being the first model year.. but once that was figured out this car was a dream. Fast forward 9 years to a week ago. I was driving at highway speed when someone came into my lane, I avoided them, but lost control of the car - I hit the center barrier of the highway, spun across the highway, hit the sound wall on the right shoulder and landed in the right shoulder. Car was totaled, obviously, but held up with no major damage to the cabin, and I walked away with only minor injuries. I love that car more now than I did 10 years ago.