2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (11 reviews )

Traded our Focus Hatch for a Focus ST
By Charles

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We were looking at an SUV (Escape) when the ST could our attention. We really hated the idea of driving an SUV on an every day basis and we loved our Focus. The dealer threw in roof racks for those occasional hauling duties and we stayed with a Focus but one with amazing performance. The one weak point in our previous Focus was the auto transmission. We love driving a manual again as it ups the fun factor to a considerable degree. The ST is a delight, fast, fun, and engaging. We take it everywhere because its such fun to drive. One down side is the Recaro seats. My butt fits fine. However, I'm 5'7", 175, with broad shoulders. The Recaro seats are too constricting at the shoulders. I'd have been happier with the regular front seats in the Focus. Overall, we love the ST and are looking forward to putting many miles on it as we explore the back roads of America. An addition benefit is that I get to buy American, something we consider important.

Positive Early Review Base ST
By Sido

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Update: Still good, even better. Finally got to know the car after five weeks and 1,500 miles. Car continues to surprise me, in a good way, well thought out and with ample performance characteristics, especially its torquey power. Drove vehicle from LA to Big Bear, about 80 miles each way, plus another 50 or so exploring. ST mastered the 7,000-foot ascent effortlessly and surprised me by accelerating in any gear range, including 6th. Accessible power and great road manners going up and down mountain curves. Sure-footed. Also, under strenuous conditions, still turned average 26 MPG for the trip.
As other drivers comment, there is pronounced torque steer per FWD acceleration; I knew that before purchase and I accept it.
The car is very pleasing and feels competent.

Get it
By Andrew Cable

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you're looking for a great commuter, fun weekend driver, and family car, this is worth it. The ST has done nothing but impress me so far

2016 ST 1 Month Review
By bdub

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

So I'll just cover performance since add ons are all personal preference.
So far I have had no major issues. The car handles corners great and is very responsive, sometimes over compensating so be wary. There is noticeable torque steer when accelrating at full throttle but nothing that takes away, for me, the fun of the car. It has some nice mods and tunes you can apply that won't void the factory warranty.
The one con I will say I am unhappy with, and this may be unique to my vehicle, but it sometimes idles heavy, especially noticeable at starting it up. If you have ever had a vehicle misfire at idle, this is what it feels like. I've plugged in an OBD II scan and nothing is coming up and the engine light is not on, so as far as those indicators go, it is not misfiring. Probably going to take it in to the dealership to see if this is normal behavior for the turbo ecoboost. However I would like to note, it doesnt seem to be affecting the performance at all.
I would recommend this vehicle for the price per performance. I love driving this ST.

The ST1 variant is the best bang for the buck.
By William Thomas

2016 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Ford has managed to pack a 252 HP pocket rocket with a top speed of over 150 into a family friendly car that's just as much at home hauling around your brood as it is hauling A**!

Make no mistake, this little car is a performance automobile, and while it is soon to be eclipsed by the more track "Focused" RS model, the ST still reins supreme at performance for price.

The car is available in three trim levels, ST1 (base), ST2 and ST3. The ST2 and ST3 models include the now "infamous" Recaro seats. It's a shame that Ford could not have optioned the seats separately like they did with the moon roof. The highly bolstered Recaro seats are in a love/hate relationship with certain owners. Some owners find the seats amazingly comfortable, while others find them much too confining and almost abusive on long road trips.

So prevalent is this view, there are active threads on ST enthusiast boards requesting seat swapouts with other owners.

If you want more cabin refinement (leather interior, power seats, 10 speaker radio, Sirius XM, ambient lighting, etc) then you have no option but to get the Recaro's. If you don't like them, you are stuck giving up some refinement on the base model.

Let's not kid ourselves here, though. The base model ST is still hansomely appointed with keyless entry and pushbutton start, a six speaker AM/FM CD system with bluetooth and USB connectivity and hands free phone integration. Air conditioning, power windows and mirrors are also standard, as is the leather trimmed steering wheel and sport pedals and backup camera all standard.

From an interior standpoint the ST1 is no slouch, but if you don't want to deal with the Recaro's then your back passengers are going to have to settle with less cupholders and the lack of dual zone climate control.

If you do like the Recaro's then the world is your oyster and you can push up the price of this automobile past $30K with the addition of full leather seating, heated drivers seats, ambient lighting, back passenger center console with cup holders and the like.

The bottom line is that you should perform an extended test drive with the Recaro's prior to purchasing this car, especially if you tend to tip the scales on the large side as I do.

But whatever your choice, you will soon forget about the lack of cup holders when you fire this bad boy up. The car has plenty of acceleration across the entire RPM band, and the six speed gearbox is a joy to use. The ride is a bit more stiff than the standard Focus, but is not what I would call uncomfortable. The fuel economy is not great, but that's to be expected given the type of engine being used. However careful shifting and expressway driving can bring your MPG's up to a respectable 30 MPG.

And while driving like a responsible adult may appeal to your practical, it's ability to throw you back in your seat, and grip corners like on rails that will put that permanent smile on your face and turns you back into your inner 12 year old. You'll be fighting over your significant other who gets to take junior to his play date.

This car is not for everyone. If you are simply looking for a vehicle to haul your two young kids around town, then you can get a suitable substitute with more room and much less cash. However, if you really appreciate driving, and you want to get behind the wheel of a car that is able to always put a grin on your grill AND haul the little ones, then it's hard to beat this car for bang for your buck.