Used 2014 Ford Focus ST Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus ST Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (12 reviews )

2014 bought used in 2015
By Logan

2014 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned the car for 9 months. I'm 6'6" at 235-240lbs. Front leg room? I fit well. The car has the ST3 package and the Recaro seats aren't horrible, but I am a bit larger than the avg. 6' tall male, so for long trips you tend to re position often. Head room is great. I have 3 small kids (5 and under age wise). I have to scoot the seat up to get them in there and can still drive a short distance without too much of an issue. No way can you get 3 kids seats in the rear. I can squeeze in two booster seats and a child seat (front facing) back there (barely). I bought the car used, from 5 hrs away with 11,000 miles on it and drove it home without issue. The road noise is there for sure if the pavement isn't new or good smooth pavement. It could stand some sound deadening material. Performance wise its FUN. I've owned BMWs in the past and this car hangs right in there performance wise with them easily. Torque steer on this car is NO JOKE. You really need to be ready for the steering wheel pull when you drop down into gear and punch it. It could get away from you easily if you're not ready for it and used to it. As far as issues go, I do have the random issue with the stereo acting weird. Like I have to turn the car off to reset it to get it working correctly. Over all Sync is great. It recognizes voice very well. It did stop reading text messages to me when my Android phone went to Marshmallow (android 6.0). The gas mileage really stinks for a 4 cylinder engine. I drive 72 mph on the freeway 70 miles round trip a day. I get about 28 mpg at that speed ( I set the cruise and keep up with mileage). I once some how managed to get 30 mpg (not sure how this was done). I had a 2005 Caddy CTS V (bought used) that got 27 on the freeway and had double the HP and TRQ. So if you're trying to decide about a V8 hot rod and this little hot rod, I'd go for the V8, you'll get more performance and fun with the same gas mileage (there in or abouts). If you need a fun car that turns (at speed) very well in corners and what not, has great pickup and speed, for a really decent price, this is the car for you. Oh and if you need a car that has a small turning radius for busting a U'y for a parking spot or something similar, this isn't the car to do that. Also, the ride is great, AC works great, Stereo is pretty decent (7/10), Factory tires are summer tires (expect 25k life out of them) they do grip very well, very hard tire in cold weather. Interior lighting is very cool, the lights that turn on when you turn the wheel for corners and what not is a nice touch. It needs a backup camera in my opinion, but I'm sure that's probably available now in the more recent yr models.

Consider what you want out of the car!
By Adriano Garcia

2014 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love driving my Ford Focus ST, but I am very disappointed at the inside of the car. At first glance, the interior looks well made and noise free, but with less than 3 months I started to hear noises from the rattling of the back seat and after two dealership inspections, the only fix I was offered was to wrap the metal hook that latches the back seat with electrical tape to silence the rattling. withing 6 months, noises started to come from middle dashboard, the snap on style panels are poorly made and rub against each other. Other things also came to my attention, such as the upgraded Recaro bucket seat does not fit in the seat area, so when the seat is moved around the sides get smashed on the doors and armrest. Also, the moonroof sliding door rattles and makes noises. Mechanically speaking, the car is very fun to drive, but this car makes way too much rattling noise for age and condition of the car, and I drive mostly on reasonable roads.

Adrenaline fix
By Sir Numbsalot

2014 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Oddly, this car wasn't even on my radar as I was testing the JCW Mini Cooper S against the VW GTI and the Subaru WRX STI. After a rather uninspiring test drive of the mini, and being underwhelmed by the civility of the GTI, and disappointed with the over all feel and uninspired interior of the STI, I started reading reviews and watching youtube reviews on the turbo hot hatch division to see what other cars were in the same market, Surprisingly, this car came up high in the performance ratings, so I took one for a test drive. I was immediately impressed with the well appointed interior and feel of the full leather Recaro seats, it just felt like I was home. The ride was even more impressive than I was expecting, and although the torque steer was ever present, I actually found it enhanced the driving experience. 21342 miles. later, I still look for ANY excuse to drive somewhere, even the grocery store. The car stereo is more than adequate if you listen to loud music, but the somewhat noisy interior makes listening to Beethoven a little challenging. Being a diminutive 5 ft 7 inches, I find the fit of the car perfect, although my 6 ft tall friends found the fit a little constraining to fully enjoy the car's capabilities. If you are looking for a daily adrenaline fix, this car is for you. On the practical side, it has more than adequate space for cargo with a family of 4 like mine, and the comfort on 4-6 hour trips was comparable to my wife's 2012 Civic. My only real complaint is the smallish gas tank, 320 mile range is a little on the short side, but adequate for my daily commuting. Now if I can just keep my son from taking joy rides in it....

Couldn't be happier.
By Shawn

Review Updated 8/8/2016

Purchased in September 2013. Almost 3 years and 24k miles later, I couldn't be happier with my Tangerine Scream Focus ST. The paint holds up great and it still shines like new after every wash. From how it looks inside and out to how it sounds and performs, it's an amazing car, especially for the asking price.

The fit and finish is solid. The only shakes or rattles I have are from the loose change and random things I have in the storage bins. Road noise on harsher road surfaces does travel into the cabin (due to the relatively stiff suspension), so it isn't a quiet car on every road surface. However, on a well-maintained highway, this car is very quiet.

Don't pay sticker and look for incentives. I paid $4.5k under MSRP for a loaded ST3 (full leather seats, nav, sunroof, tricoat TS paint, "cargo net", etc).

My mileage isn't great for several reasons so it shouldn't be considered typical. My daily commute is short (4 miles each way), I stomp on the pedals, and I power slide when no other cars are around.

Lastly, my insurance premiums are low. I compared my quote from GEICO to other Focus trims and it was the same. Go figure!

Overall, I can't express how much I still love this car. I worry if my next car will give me this much satisfaction. I look forward to driving it every single day!

Engineering Technician