Used 2014 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Focus ST - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Focus ST

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (9 reviews )

Couldn't be happier.
By Shawn

2014 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased in September 2013. 2.5 years and 18k miles later, I couldn't be happier with my Focus ST. The Tangerine Scream paint holds up great and it still shines like new after detailing. From how it looks inside and out to how it sounds and performs, it's an amazing machine especially for the asking price.

The fit and finish is solid and I have no shakes or rattles even after removing my door panels to install some dynamat. Road noise on harsher road surfaces does travel into the cabin (due to the relatively stiff suspension) , so it isn't a quiet car on every road surface. However, on a well-maintained highway, this car is quiet.

Don't pay sticker and look for incentives. I paid $4.5k under MSRP for a loaded ST3. Other people have gotten even more off.

My mileage isn't great for various reasons so it shouldn't be considered typical. My daily commute is short, I stomp on the pedals, and I'm not nice to the tires.

Lastly, insurance premiums are surprisingly low! I think GEICO treats this trim the same as the other focus trims, which is awesome for us.

Overall, I can't express how much I love this car. I can only hope all my future cars give me this much satisfaction. I look forward to driving it every single day!

Engineering Technician
By patrick

Red Rocket
By Andre G

2014 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

What can I say that hasn't been said already? I have the ST3 package (minus sunroof) with Rado grey wheels and matte black vinyl racing stripes. The Recaros were definitely a tad uncomfortable at first, but once broken in, it fits like a glove (I'm quite a big guy too.. 6'2" 260lbs). Passenger seat still a bit stiff (just me in the car 75% of the time), but should break-in over time as well. I prefer this interior to the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 I had a few years ago. Love the big nav screen and the usb/bluetooth integration. Stock sound system is pretty good as well. The ride is sporty, but not punishing. LOVE the torque delivery in this car. Makes on-ramps and cloverleafs an absolute joy. Plenty of grunt in any gear to get past people. I have a shade under 20k miles thus far and I've only had to do the routine maintenance and one recall (wiring harness TSB), although my vehicle was not showing any of the symptoms that prompted said TSB. I live in the PNW and the traction is phenomenal in the wet with all the driver aids left on. You can absolutely lean on this car in the pooring rain and not worry about losing it. Ford worked magic with this car. Turn-in is FANTASTIC. Never had a car that drove into corners as hard as this one does. You almost forget its FWD. Torquesteer is also limited (especially compared to the MS3). I've avg'd around 28mpg with 70% highway and a heavy foot. I did manage a few economy minded runs and got 34mpg. Overall a great package. If you're looking for something that has 4-doors and is fun to drive, the Focus ST is a great choice! Didn't hurt that it was $6k under MSRP either :)

Horrible Car
By JasonD

2014 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The Focus ST is a huge disappointment. I cant stand getting into this car each day. The interior is so tight I feel like I'm being squeezed in a vise. The center console intrudes into the cabin and there is no storage in the center console like most cars have. and the seats are hard and tight also. I have the recaros included with the ST3 package. Big mistake. The visibility is the worst I have ever seen in a hatchback.
Now is the car fun to drive. No it isint. It feels heavy all the time, the steering is completely dead feeling. There is no Limited slip differential offered with this car so it just spins the wheels trying to get traction. I was coming from a 2003 Honda civic and i thought i was going to have a powerful car. This car doesn't feel that much more powerful than my civic. Trying to live with this car is difficult because The turing radius is huge. 39 feet to turn is ridiculous. you will find yourself making a 3 point turn every time you try to park, and U turns forget about.
On top of all that the resale is terrible. So you better like this car if you intend to get it. I will be selling as soon as I can.
If your in the market for this type of car. I urge you to look at the Subaru WRX, civic si or VW GTI. all are better alternatives to this crap ford.

Pocket. Rocket.
By aupod9

2014 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Wow. I switched from Mini Cooper S to a Focus ST with 202A package, Grey Rims, Moonroof (fully loaded). Obviously have more space and some better entertainment features as well. The Cooper handled slightly better but the ST has much more power. Have had no issues with the car, I've had it about a year and have put 23K miles on it. I did put winter tires on this season, which makes a huge difference, and I highly recommend. I'm getting around 27 MPG with mixed city/highway miles. The car is very well made and feels rock solid, this is not your base line Focus. Recaro seats are amazing, they are comfy, and I don't move doing 60 on "S" curves.

Power, acceleration...pure bliss. Manual Transmission is spot on. Turbo gauges (love watching them jump when I punch it) Recaro racing seats. Practicality (fold the seats down and can fit almost anything). Gas mileage with one caveat (fuel tank size)

Please make a bigger fuel tank, get great gas mileage but have to fill up every 290-310 miles. AWD (I know the RS is coming soon). Heated steering wheel.