Focus ST
By vooch on
2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I'd say the Focus ST is a split between the GTI and what I've heard of the MPS 3. I've owned a GTI but I have not owned a MPS 3. I use the GTI as a baseline against the Focus. The GTI is definitely more refined. The best thing about the car is the powertrain for sure. Everything else is secondary. The reason I got it was because hatches are way more utilitarian than trunks, for the size of the car. Americans don't seem to understand that. Also the gas mileage is better than what I'm coming from (Genesis Coupe v6), and I already owned a GTI.
Favorite Features
The powertrain is the Focus ST's best feature. It looks pretty sporty too but not too boy racer. It sounds fantastic, but that's subjective, like the looks. Almost better than my Genesis Coupe. The stick is really smooth and easy to work. The recaro seats are really comfortable and will keep you in place. I'm thinking you need to be a fairly small person though for them to be comfortable because they really grab you. The seats actually fold up although I'm not sure how useful it is because it doesn't seem to make much difference when the seat backs are folded down.
Suggested Improvements
There are plenty of small improvements that could be made, mainly on design issues, that would make it a slam dunk. The glove box hinges like to have things in the way such that you can't close it. The moonroof only opens like 12 inches, but probably the same as all smaller cars. The rear seats don't have a seatbelt clip to hold the seatbelt, so it gets in the way when you put them down. There is a little clip thingie that you can use but most cars have a $.50 clip on the seat itself that always keeps the belt out of the way. The MyTouch system is flaky and sluggish but not enough to be a problem. I've only used the nav once but it was very good. I have nothing to compare it to though