Used 2013 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus-st - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Focus ST

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (15 reviews )

Owned for 3 months
By joescool2008

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

2013 Focus St Tuxedo Black with ST2 trim package. Love the recaros in the car, everyone at my work thinks it's a race car essentially. Handling is very crisp and exiciting anytime I see twisty roads the car teases you to HAMMER down and hear the brrrrrrrrrrrruuuuup noise it produces. Turbo is lagless, cannot tell it's turbocharged almost. The power is on at 2k and holds to redline for me. Day to day driving it's very good on gas and the 6 speed allows me to shift into 6th gear at 35mph without being boggy. Motor mounts from the factory were a bit too soft for the power this car lays down, however ford has parts on order and a redesign to fix that.

Favorite Features

Power, Torque vectoring system, recaro seats, and upscale interior. Great phone connectivity. (Iphone4).

Suggested Improvements

Stiffer motor mounts. Better cup holders.

Motivation to drive
By motorrad1

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love my little ST3. I tested everything in this class (Mazdaspeed3, WRX, GTI, Rallyart etc.) and bought the Ford because I found it had the best balance of ride and handling, best fuel economy and was overall the best value. I highly recommend the Recaros that come with the ST3, they don’t have the car color inserts but instead are all black leather, heated and just the a great place to enjoy what this car has to offer. I’m 6’1” 180lbs and they fit me perfectly. What is astounding to me is this car’s ability to match what I’m doing at any instant. It goes from a smooth, quiet, friendly little commuter to a raging lunatic at will. The power delivery is linear, direct and controllable.

Favorite Features

Drivetrain, handling, ride quality, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Errr, um, well, I uh........... how about an RS version with all wheel drive maybe?

New car
By roverly

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased this car new off the lot and love just about everything about it. Considering my previous car was an 06 Cobalt SS with a little over 300hp I can say without a doubt this car hits the mark for me. The electronic torque-steer assist is a blessing in my opinion and because the car is so quiet at driving speed the sound at WOT is just that much more exciting. The controls seem a little overwhelming for someone that went from a "prehistoric" design that you can find in the cobalt but realistically this car was built for the new generation and it shows. Also, the ride quality without the Recaros is extremely nice. Just remember the car was developed to handle so road feel is a given.

Favorite Features

The initial thing that I noticed about this car is just how comfortable the seats are. The controls for the radio, trip, phone, etc. are nicely placed and easy to use. I like that ford went with a smaller steering well and the turning radius is incredible compared to other vehicles that I have driven. Road noise is nonexistent and the car has plenty of power so constantly shifting while in traffic is not necessary which makes it a relaxing ride. Blind spots are nonexistent for this car but it does feel big to me considering its the first hatchback that I've ever owned. Great design all and all, Ford really nailed this one.

Suggested Improvements

AWD would be nice considering it is sold overseas but I can see why they don't do it. I would most likely assume the price would make it a hard sale in the states. The clutch feel is a little odd in my car and I noticed when really going through the gears its like the peddle is delayed on the return? Considering the car is a turbo ford should have focused on making the turbo a little louder rather than focusing on the sound symposer but I'm glad they put so much effort into trying to satisfy the customer.

Freeway Steering Difficult
By atlantast

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First of all, I love my new ST2. My only complaint, and I'm not sure if this is the car or the Goodyear Asymmetrical 2 tires, is that while driving on the highway at normal cruising speeds the car seems to pull and drift in both directions. Not the yaw or the alignment but I can't keep it pointed straight. When I ever so slightly move the steering wheel to compensate the car over compensates and I find it drifting in the other direction. Is this a calibration problem? Tire problem? It makes for some really uncomfortable highway driving..like I'm fighting the steering wheel.

LOVE THIS CAR
By aeryn7

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Did a lot of research on hatchbacks, read all these rave reviews about this little hot hatch. They are totally spot on. BMW quality interior, smooth shifter, no turbo lag at all, I don't have any issues with torque steer, I laugh out loud when I'm taking a curve. It's a fast car, but I find it also a perfectly well behaved commuter car. You can take it easy or drive it hard. After owning M3s, S4s, and a 911 I can say this is a very respectable performer and dollar for dollar an amazing value. Can't believe what Ford has done with this car, bravo to the engineers.

Favorite Features

Great handling Power on tap-wonderful throttle response Gorgeous interior materials (get the full leather if you can) Fun styling, Impressive build quality Fantastic technology it has everything Pricing is surprising low for this

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius is a little large, it takes a little getting used to. That's my only nit. It's nearly perfect for me.