Used 2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (18 reviews )

2013 Focus ST-3 ownership review after 2.5 years
By Dannoo

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is really an amazing car, a bit over priced if you buy all the options. You don't need Ford My Touch. It is just flashy and unnecessary. Anyone with a cell phone does not need navigation in their Focus ST. The Nav is difficult to use, and you have to be stopped if you are going to input info into it. Its not accurate either, I never use it. The Recaro buckets are beautiful to look at and make the car appear to be an awesome race machine, however if you are a male and you are over 150 lbs and taller than 5'7" you will be uncomfortable. very narrow seat backs..digs into shoulders. I had some issues with the car stalling at red lights and stop signs and it took Ford a year to fix it. My right side head light bobbles over bumps, Ford can't fix it. Vibrates a lot with the AC on at a stop. OK, now for the good stuff...quick, nimble, exciting, handles like its on rails, stops on a dime in emergencies, and can switch lanes before you can blink your eyes. Gets reasonable mileage as I avg 31mpg city and hwy combined. The turbo spools up nicely for me and I enjoy the passing power it has on the street.

Expensive disappointment
By Ron

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'll probably never buy a Ford again after this disaster. I bought it looking for something fun, relatively good on gas mileage and a standard transmission.

Unfortunately while it does have some impressive power and handling, it otherwise was a huge disappointment. I'll try to encapsulate the downsides here...

First, the body. Most of the exterior is made of plastic and clipped together. Body lines especially where it meets the bumper began sagging after the first year. I also had the misfortune of running over a groundhog and bot the front and rear bumpers exploded like it was made of legos.

The brake dust on the wheels was horrendous. Within a few miles they would be coated black like coal.

Blind spots in both changing lanes and backing up are the worst I've ever experienced in 20 years of driving. I cannot tell you how many close calls I had changing lanes and I'm a relatively safe/conservative driver.

Storage space is almost non existent in both the rear and front (holders etc) interior is comprised of hard plastic and cheap feeling.

Seats and ride and stiff, tight and painful. After about 40 minutes it's not an option not to stop and take a break especially if you're over 5'8" and or 150 lbs.

The gear ratio is so close that while it'll launch you up to speed in a hurry, driving around town is frusterating. Also 6th gear at highway speed still leaves you at high rpm's and is exceptionally noisey.

Winter driving even with winter performance tires is an adventure. The car is way too light and will slide probably with chains on. I've driven rwd cars with better handling.

AC and heat is more like a climate out of control system. The heat was Luke warm at best...AC never really got cold after numerous servicings. Controls cheap looking and feeling.

Sync system was fair but not intuitive. I was able to tolerate it until after about 8 months I had to pull the fuse for it under the glove box to reset it on a monthly basis. It's not an easy fuse to get to, I'll leave it at that.

My last frustration is its next to impossible to maintain yourself. The airfilter box is made of cheap plastic and requires the filter for structural integrity. Changing to oil is nearly impossible for the regular joe.

If you want something fast that sucks in the snow, buy a mustang...but I'd recommend avoiding Ford's altogether.

Best car I've ever owned
By Paul G

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had a very long history of getting bored with my cars after a couple years and trading them in. I've owned and driven more cars than a 32 year old rightly should. So it's come as a huge surprise to my friends and I that after 2+ years of ownership, I'm still madly in love with my Ford.

It's a blast to drive (best FWD car I've ever driven next to the Fiesta ST), practical (I fit a 60 inch flat screen in box no problem), and economical (I average 31mpg+ on road trips).

In addition the car has been 100% reliable, my Ford dealer here in Washington has given me the best customer service I've ever had, and the ST community is great!

I look forward to driving my Focus ST for years to come.

P.S. Ford invited me to the ST Octane Academy in Utah for free just for buying one. One of the best experiences of my life.

Best hot hatch value for the money
By fl_st

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Total adrenaline rush to drive; fighter-jet cockpit; super fast and powerful; excellent turbo boost design; decent gas mileage even stomping on the go pedal; best-in-class handling; intelligent design inside and out by Ford SVT; great looks and exhaust sound; quality Sony sound system; A+ race red paint; perfectly matched with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tires; practical as daily commuter with the ability to blow nearly everyone away on the open road.

Absolutely the best value for the money out of all the hot hatches on the market today, bar none.
Ford hit a grand slam with this car.

Only wish: the larger rotors on the front brakes should have also been put on the rear ones.

Wow
By tholtsr1

2013 Ford Focus ST Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have 29k miles on the car. I have had 0 problems making it the most reliable car to date I have owned. I was pleased to see that all the panels lined up as there was a bit of conversation about ill fit and finish. I use this car on the hiway primarily but when it comes time to drive it on the twisty's it runs hard. If I had any changes I would make the bottom 5 gears a little closer ratio.

Power