Used 2013 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus ST - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/EcoBoost - (15 reviews )

Best hot hatch value for the money
By fl_st

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Total adrenaline rush to drive; fighter-jet cockpit; super fast and powerful; excellent turbo boost design; decent gas mileage even stomping on the go pedal; best-in-class handling; intelligent design inside and out by Ford SVT; great looks and exhaust sound; quality Sony sound system; A+ race red paint; perfectly matched with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tires; practical as daily commuter with the ability to blow nearly everyone away on the open road. Absolutely the best value for the money out of all the hot hatches on the market today, bar none. Ford hit a grand slam with this car. Only wish: the larger rotors on the front brakes should have also been put on the rear ones.

Wow
By tholtsr1

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have 29k miles on the car. I have had 0 problems making it the most reliable car to date I have owned. I was pleased to see that all the panels lined up as there was a bit of conversation about ill fit and finish. I use this car on the hiway primarily but when it comes time to drive it on the twisty's it runs hard. If I had any changes I would make the bottom 5 gears a little closer ratio.

Power

Lumbar support in ST2 trim as well as tilt adjustment for seat

Affordable performance
By thommills

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A great test of a performance car is driving on Italian roads. You pretty much get everything thrown at you, from super fast autostrade winding thru the mountains, extremely narrow roads with severe switchbacks, and fun sweepers thru Tuscany. Those are the places I've been driving my 2013 ST (the base model), from the Dolomites to the Amalfi Coast, and chasing a souped up Megane up the side of Vesuvius (and over taking him). This car does all of it well. It's engine is remarkable, the stearing precise, and the transmission a joy. Any complaints I have are usually over shadowed by the fun of driving this car. Point it exactly where you want to go and it will, happily.

The engine has very little, if any, noticeable turbo lag; very smooth application of power. The torque is almost ridiculous in a car this size. It's planted, everything about it is about precision and solidity. I've driven this thing fairly fast, but have probably only reached about 60% of its capabilities. I'd love to take it on a track to find its limit. When driven wisely (keeping RPMs between 1500 and 2000 in all gears, and a cruising speed of about 55 in 6th gear) you can get good mileage...not that I can make myself do that.

The brakes are fine, but not as good as they probably should be. Just kind of vague, mushy when late breaking into a corner. Also, heel/toe? Yeah, it's easier in a Fiat Punto. Torque steer is a problem, needs mechanical help, not the silly electronics they use to compensate. I'm not impressed with the displays, which are hard to control sometimes and not very intuitive. The quick, precise steering also means this thing turns like the 7th Fleet at low speed.

Love my ST
By pastracer

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Have owned since 4/13 and have 16K fun miles already. Lots of highway and in traffic miles. Love the way you pick a gear with smooth shifting gear box, punch and go. This from someone who owned a Z06 Vette for 8 years. With hwy miles I avg 29 mpg overall. Overall quality is solid. Have full option set, Recaros, sunroof, Navi, etc. still under $30k

While I love driving it the fact that I can haul 8 foot pieces of lumber is really cool. One day at Lowes the employees said that wife and I would never get all the stuff we had in. They were wrong! Fast, slick and it hauls stuff too, what's not to like? Oh BTW I am 69 years old.

Tough to say. Maybe some graphics options.

Great car, Horrible execution, Horrible customer service and Horrible dealer network.
By azrcd

2013 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback w/EcoBoost (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My car: an early build (02/03/2013) ST2 trim with Nav and without sunroof. This is a really fun car to drive. Performance, a solid "good", but when factoring in the whole vs it's competition I think it's a "great." The interior layout needs improvements and storage for the driver. HOWEVER, I've had quality issues and workmanship issues with the car from day one. The car has been out of service appox. 100 days since I took delivery on Feb. 13 (today is 9/14/2013). The car came out of the factory with a miss aligned drivers door. Unfortunately I don't have the space here to give full details, but Ford Customer Service has not been responsive in actually address the issues and I'm very upset.

I like the seats, they are "racecar tight." so keep this in mind. Also, power band is meaty and excellent torque with almost no lag makes for great response. The Sound Symposer sounds artificial when switching on and off, but I like the way it sounds when it's active. Also, it has the creature comforts you come to want from a car like one touch up AND down on ALL windows. Also, auto HVAC.

Man where to start? So many things? Lets start with quality control, there isn't any! The car is executed really well which makes flaws and quality issues so much worse. Two is interior layout, want to see a design that wastes space, check this one out. Cup holders a horrible, no adjustment for size and terrible location. No storage bin where you can toss your phone or whatever easily, there is a tiny bin under the center armrest, but no bin below the HVAC controls like most cars have. Finally, they clearly designed the car to have a space-saving spare and then decided on a full size. This means when you fold the rear seats even though everything is flat, there is about a 4in difference.