Used 2014 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Flex Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Horrendous MPG and Bad Customer Service
By Mark Hopkins

2014 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Open Letter to FORD CEO. Dear Mr. Fields;
This is 2nd attempt to get your attention. Not surprising since it took 3 letters and 2 phone calls to finally get Ford’s attention when my car rolled off, while in park and unattended.
I leased a 2014 Ford Flex SEL. First time with a Ford product. I find your new designs both from Ford and Lincoln to very appealing. Which is what drew me to your company in the first place.
As mentioned already, the vehicle was involved in a rollaway accident with less than 5000 miles. When contacted both Worthington Ford (“WF”) and Power Ford (“PF”) dealerships refused to inspect citing “they did not want to get involved.” After multiple attempts to get your customer service attention an Inspection took place at WF over 1 year from the date of the accident. I specifically requested to speak with the inspector wanting to know what tests were conducted as well as any findings. The inspector left the premises without speaking to me and I was promptly sent a form letter denying my claim. No backup provided, no list of tests conducted nor any explanation how a vehicle sitting in park rolled off unattended.
For the past year and half I have been irritated by two (2) warning lights on my dash. First, a yellow check engine light which appeared when the fuel fill flap popped off my filler spout. Vehicle was serviced by PF at approximately 30k miles. PF was instructed to make repair and failed to do so, they were more interested in hard selling a set of tires. Next service at WF with approximately 39k miles. I was charged $523.39 to replace the filler assembly. WF indicated that warranty was no longer available for this part as vehicle is above 36k miles but would have been covered under warranty if PF had perform requested repair. Please note, had Ford utilized a simple gas cap in lieu of the filler assembly with flapper then the repair would also be very minor and cheap versus removing the entire fuel tank.
Second light, the driver’s side door closing sensor is malfunctioning. As you drive the driver door is “open” warning is constantly flashing, “transmission is not in park” flashes and a tone rings every time vehicle comes to a stop. Google search indicates this is a common problem with this vehicle. Again PF was asked to repair at 30k service, which they again failed to perform. WF stated again would normally be a warranty item but since I have exceed 36k miles the $450 bill is my problem.
When I complained to Ford corporate customer service my concerns about the roll off were ignored, I was offered no compensation for warranty repairs I had made to the vehicle paying out of pocket and was only offered to split the cost of warranty items yet to be repaired.
Trying to pass onto the customer a $450 repair bill for a faulty door sensor that your company is well aware has performance issues, just because the mileage is slightly over is not going to engender product loyalty. Nor has any other manufacture I have owned cars with ever taken this stance given a similar circumstance.
I chose to turn in this vehicle four (4) months early rather than deal your company (or listen to annoying warning chimes ring when I drive). PF, closet dealer to home, refuses to take car in since I didn’t purchase it there. Make appointment at purchasing dealer, WF, to turn car in, fight through 1 hour of LA traffic to arrive 5 minutes prior to appointment time (6pm) to be told you just missed leasing manager. Asked if I would like to make an appointment for tomorrow. My response “I don’t think you know what the word appointment means.” Toss keys to receptionist and leave.

Roomy, comfortable and great highway cruiser
By Bill P

2014 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven my '14 Flex for over a year and have to say that this is one of the most comfortable and pleasant cars to drive I have ever owned. I was looking for a larger SUV at first, but the prices turned me off, so I went to look at the Explorer and the Flex. After driving both, I fell for the Flex (it was fully loaded with some great equipment too). It felt roomier and more comfortable than the Explorer, was much more responsive and better handling than the Explorer. It also seemed to have decent cargo space. And I have not been disappointed with my purchase. This car just goes straight on the highway; very little steering adjustment is needed. A great highway cruiser. I has the 20" oversized tires and I think this adds to the great handling. The OEM tires seemed to be a bit hard and a little noisey at first, but they handle great on dry and wet pavement and are ok in the snow and they are wearing very well (and even). I think I would buy them again when needed. While the gas mileage is better than I would have had on the bigger SUV's ( I get about 14-16 city and 23-24 highway with the eco boost V-6), it is pretty bad for a small SUV, especially in the winter. But all in all, I would have to say that this car is under-advertised by Ford because it is a pretty good package for families. I recently checked the resale value of this car though and it does not appear to be that great. I guess that would make buying a used Flex something to consider. If you can take the gas mileage, its a great family car, hauler and a great vacation cruiser.

Short rides only
By James DeRusha

2014 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Most uncomfortable car, on long drives my family complains of leg cramps and neck cramps (we do not experience them in previous cars). Touch screen is very distracting. Visibility is extremely poor. I hate the electronic turn signal. The vehicle is low, front bumper hits curb and cracks (very expensive to repair). We were told the "bumper" that protects the car is behind the plastic/rubber surround. Nothing protects the surround which costs a fortune to replace. All round, we hate this car, can't wait to reach the break even point to get rid of it.

1 &1/2 years later -2014 Limited Flex w/eco boost review
By nai571

2014 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded I my Mercedes r350 for my 2014 limited w/eco boost Ford Flex and all in all I'm glad I did. While the Mercedes was solid as a tank, The ford flex styling is much more me. It's deceiving in that it looks like some slow mom/pop car but when I pull up to a red light and a luxury vehicle tries to out gun me, they are quickly left mouth open in my 365 horsepower dust. This mom/pop car is pretty fast - and I love it. I love the color too, it's a unique white diamond tri coat (it's somewhat sparkly in the sun) and has a black roof. Very unique, although mini-cooper and Range Rover make a similar combination. Actually looking at it from the front the flex could pass as a Range Rover.

My kids love the refrigerator. I love everything else. I've taken 5 people with luggage comfortably on vacation and it's wonderful, I feel it has less leg room in the rear than the Mercedes r350 but it's still ample. The one touch tumbling seats are great and my kids like that they have heated/cooling seats, which was important to me. I tested luxury vehicles that had horrible back seats and I wanted my kids to be as comfortable as I was since they were the reason I was buying this people hauler. The versatility of the cargo space is amazing! I've easily fit a 70" flat screen in the back and 2weeks worth of groceries right beside it. The color changing ambient light makes flex a party bus!

There are two things that absolutely peeve me about my flex, and neither can really be changed One: the paint on this car is so soft! I hate it. I've already had paint work done due to scratches. And I've only had this thing a year and a halfish. My Mercedes r350 went 6 years with almost no scratches or dings ( again like a tank) and looked brand new the day I traded it in. The flex is too easily hurt! It's very annoying for a $50k vehicle and it scratches easy inside too! Two: the turn radius is for crap on the flex! The Mercedes r350 is similar in size but can turn on a dime. Those things aside, I love my flex. It's unassuming on the outside but every bit the performer on the inside.

Great Vehicle
By ocroy

2014 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted a Flex and my wife talked me into the Explorer after driving the Explorer for 9 months we both agreed we did not like it.
Uncomfortable and just not pleased with the vehicle.
We went back to the dealer they were able to work a deal to get us out of the Explorer and into the Flex.
Could not be happier.
I love the way this vehicle rides and handles.
We use a car service in Florida for airport transportation and that is what the driver uses which is why I wanted the Flex my wife had a hard time getting over the box look.

I have had the vehicle for 2 years still happy with it although I understand that 2016 will be te last year for the vehicle which disappoints me.
It is a fund car to drive and I hope to have it for a long time.