2014 Ford Flex Consumer Review: Convinced the wife

2014 Ford Flex - Consumer Review

Limited Wagon (3.5L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic w/EcoBoost)

Convinced the wife
By trapper6mm on

2014 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Although my wife thought the Flex was ugly, I convinced her to consider it along with the GMC Acadia in our shopping for a 3-row seating SUV. Once she drove it she was convinced the looks were not enough to keep us from buying one. She was not expecting to like it that much. I was impressed with the EcoBoost engine performance, the strong brakes, and very good ride and handling. It blew away the Acadia once we had taken test drives in both. The price of the EcoBoost AWD Flex is also very competitive with that of the Acadia Denali AWD.

Favorite Features

My wife liked the ease of entry, as she is short and did not have to "climb up" like she did in the Acadia. She had no issue with the second row entry either, but the 3rd row was a bit more difficult (no worse than the Acadia). She like the driver's seating position and visibility. It was also easier for her to raise and lower the 3-rd row seats in the Flex compared to the Acadia. I loved the engine and transmission combo as it seemed to always know when to up-shift or downshift for the best performance. It was much, much better than the Acadia. The brakes felt strong and the cornering was better than expected with very little body roll.

Suggested Improvements

The first suggested improvement would be to make the exterior more appealing, as that almost kept us from considering the Flex. Second would be to provide some added interior color choices. My wife decided she liked the Dune the best, but liked the slightly darker Cocoa interior in the Acadia more. I would like to see the dealer inventory include more vehicles with EcoBoost that did not have the expensive 303A option package. Our salesperson tried searching for one as far away as 300 miles that had the 302A package with the other three options we wanted, but no luck. We ended up ordering exactly what we wanted and now have to wait until it arrives, which will be a challenging time.