Used 2014 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ford Flex Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2014 Ford Flex Wagon

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Roomy, comfortable and great highway cruiser
By Bill P

2014 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have driven my '14 Flex for over a year and have to say that this is one of the most comfortable and pleasant cars to drive I have ever owned. I was looking for a larger SUV at first, but the prices turned me off, so I went to look at the Explorer and the Flex. After driving both, I fell for the Flex (it was fully loaded with some great equipment too). It felt roomier and more comfortable than the Explorer, was much more responsive and better handling than the Explorer. It also seemed to have decent cargo space. And I have not been disappointed with my purchase. This car just goes straight on the highway; very little steering adjustment is needed. A great highway cruiser. I has the 20" oversized tires and I think this adds to the great handling. The OEM tires seemed to be a bit hard and a little noisey at first, but they handle great on dry and wet pavement and are ok in the snow and they are wearing very well (and even). I think I would buy them again when needed. While the gas mileage is better than I would have had on the bigger SUV's ( I get about 14-16 city and 23-24 highway with the eco boost V-6), it is pretty bad for a small SUV, especially in the winter. But all in all, I would have to say that this car is under-advertised by Ford because it is a pretty good package for families. I recently checked the resale value of this car though and it does not appear to be that great. I guess that would make buying a used Flex something to consider. If you can take the gas mileage, its a great family car, hauler and a great vacation cruiser.

Short rides only
By James DeRusha

2014 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Most uncomfortable car, on long drives my family complains of leg cramps and neck cramps (we do not experience them in previous cars). Touch screen is very distracting. Visibility is extremely poor. I hate the electronic turn signal. The vehicle is low, front bumper hits curb and cracks (very expensive to repair). We were told the "bumper" that protects the car is behind the plastic/rubber surround. Nothing protects the surround which costs a fortune to replace. All round, we hate this car, can't wait to reach the break even point to get rid of it.

1 &1/2 years later -2014 Limited Flex w/eco boost review
By nai571

2014 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded I my Mercedes r350 for my 2014 limited w/eco boost Ford Flex and all in all I'm glad I did. While the Mercedes was solid as a tank, The ford flex styling is much more me. It's deceiving in that it looks like some slow mom/pop car but when I pull up to a red light and a luxury vehicle tries to out gun me, they are quickly left mouth open in my 365 horsepower dust. This mom/pop car is pretty fast - and I love it. I love the color too, it's a unique white diamond tri coat (it's somewhat sparkly in the sun) and has a black roof. Very unique, although mini-cooper and Range Rover make a similar combination. Actually looking at it from the front the flex could pass as a Range Rover.

My kids love the refrigerator. I love everything else. I've taken 5 people with luggage comfortably on vacation and it's wonderful, I feel it has less leg room in the rear than the Mercedes r350 but it's still ample. The one touch tumbling seats are great and my kids like that they have heated/cooling seats, which was important to me. I tested luxury vehicles that had horrible back seats and I wanted my kids to be as comfortable as I was since they were the reason I was buying this people hauler. The versatility of the cargo space is amazing! I've easily fit a 70" flat screen in the back and 2weeks worth of groceries right beside it. The color changing ambient light makes flex a party bus!

There are two things that absolutely peeve me about my flex, and neither can really be changed One: the paint on this car is so soft! I hate it. I've already had paint work done due to scratches. And I've only had this thing a year and a halfish. My Mercedes r350 went 6 years with almost no scratches or dings ( again like a tank) and looked brand new the day I traded it in. The flex is too easily hurt! It's very annoying for a $50k vehicle and it scratches easy inside too! Two: the turn radius is for crap on the flex! The Mercedes r350 is similar in size but can turn on a dime. Those things aside, I love my flex. It's unassuming on the outside but every bit the performer on the inside.

Great Vehicle
By ocroy

2014 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I wanted a Flex and my wife talked me into the Explorer after driving the Explorer for 9 months we both agreed we did not like it.
Uncomfortable and just not pleased with the vehicle.
We went back to the dealer they were able to work a deal to get us out of the Explorer and into the Flex.
Could not be happier.
I love the way this vehicle rides and handles.
We use a car service in Florida for airport transportation and that is what the driver uses which is why I wanted the Flex my wife had a hard time getting over the box look.
It is a fund car to drive and I hope to have it for a long time.

Blind side monitor Navigation system

Convinced the wife
By trapper6mm

2014 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Although my wife thought the Flex was ugly, I convinced her to consider it along with the GMC Acadia in our shopping for a 3-row seating SUV. Once she drove it she was convinced the looks were not enough to keep us from buying one. She was not expecting to like it that much. I was impressed with the EcoBoost engine performance, the strong brakes, and very good ride and handling. It blew away the Acadia once we had taken test drives in both.

The price of the EcoBoost AWD Flex is also very competitive with that of the Acadia Denali AWD.

My wife liked the ease of entry, as she is short and did not have to "climb up" like she did in the Acadia. She had no issue with the second row entry either, but the 3rd row was a bit more difficult (no worse than the Acadia). She like the driver's seating position and visibility. It was also easier for her to raise and lower the 3-rd row seats in the Flex compared to the Acadia. I loved the engine and transmission combo as it seemed to always know when to up-shift or downshift for the best performance. It was much, much better than the Acadia. The brakes felt strong and the cornering was better than expected with very little body roll.

The first suggested improvement would be to make the exterior more appealing, as that almost kept us from considering the Flex. Second would be to provide some added interior color choices. My wife decided she liked the Dune the best, but liked the slightly darker Cocoa interior in the Acadia more. I would like to see the dealer inventory include more vehicles with EcoBoost that did not have the expensive 303A option package. Our salesperson tried searching for one as far away as 300 miles that had the 302A package with the other three options we wanted, but no luck. We ended up ordering exactly what we wanted and now have to wait until it arrives, which will be a challenging time.