2012 Ford Flex Consumer Review: Skeptic Turned Convert

2012 Ford Flex - Consumer Review

Skeptic Turned Convert
By nateinphoenix on

2012 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As a man in his mid-thirties, I watched the "dad-mobile" shift from the station wagon in the 70's to the mini-van in the late 80's, then again to the SUV in 90's and finally to the present day cross over (which will eventually inherit the "dad-mobile" moniker as soon the current trend is recognized for the mainstay is has become). I swore that I would never surrender my manhood to drive anything that could be confused with any of those humiliating words. Yet, from the moment I reluctantly test drove, to the moment I enthusiastically purchased the Flex, I have loved it and have no regrets! The interior space is phenomenal, the finishing clean and refined, and the ride excellent! Thanks Ford!

The fold-flat seats and cargo capacity are exceptionally useful; from transporting all of our gear and my family on camping trips, to picking up materials for that home improvement project, the Flex definitely has "utility" in mind. The generous head and legroom and multi-position adjustable seats make this vehicle an excellent choice for families like mine, where one driver is tall and the other is...vertically challenged. The ride is smooth, the interior very clean and well organized, and its quirky box-like shape has really grown on me. I love that even our base SE model has higher end features like rear parking assist, steering wheel radio controls and keyless entry among many others.

It has been difficult to find fault with the Flex. However, to make it even more exciting, I would add a few more horses to the base engine under the hood, to give it really spirited accelration. Granted, the same can already be had with the eco-boost upgrade, but the price tag for that is not insignificant. Adding some more form hugging contour to the already comfortable front seats would help connect the driver and passengers to the experience. Similarly, replacing the stationary bench seat in the second row with a sliding bench would further enhance it's utility. However, if I were to turn back time and retain my experience with this vehicle, I would still choose the Flex.