2012 Ford Flex Consumer Review: Not your Father's station wago

2012 Ford Flex - Consumer Review

SE Wagon (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Not your Father's station wagon
By dogbettor on

2012 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my new 2012 Flex SEL three months ago. My last two cars were Lincoln Towncars. I was shopping for a Minivan Crossover SUV station wagon or a reasonable facsimile. While at an Infinity dealer I spotted and drove a used Flex that they had on their lot. The ride was the best I had driven including the Infinity and Lexus models. So I went to the Ford dealer. The inventory of Flex models numbered 3, while the Edge offerings were more than 30, the Explorer more than 20. The sales rep said the Flex isn't advertised much and is not a great seller. After driving the Explorer and the Edge I was determined to buy a Flex. I wanted a ride close to that of my Towncar.

After 2700 miles of driving I am happy with my decision. Love the SYNC. The ride and the power are great. Sooo much room front and rear. The style looks great to me. The gas mileage is identical to that of my Lincoln Towncar. It is as advertised, though I was hoping for a little better. The styling of the dashboard is very important to me and I love it on the Flex. My SEL model has all the toys I want and need. I do miss the more comfortable seats that I've become accustomed to. The power liftgate is a must have for me. I added a trailer hitch to tow my motorcycle, which it does splendidly. The front and rear climate control are top notch. No gas cap. Is that good?

I added a memory foam cushion to my driver's seat. I find the seats to be hard and uncomfortable and not wide enough for my butt which is only average size. But the ride is great. I think I'd like a gas cap please. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Ford needs to work on the fuel efficiency some. On the 2013 model they changed the grill to a more current style. But on a retro look wagon? Why? Leave the style alone. I like the idea of driving a style that is not seen at every intersection. And Ford needs to market this model as though they'd like to sell it. It's like the best kept secret on the road! Get the word out!