2012 Ford Flex Consumer Review: Very Good...Almost Great

2012 Ford Flex - Consumer Review

Very Good...Almost Great
By aohurst on

2012 Ford Flex Titanium 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Price $3,000 under invoice. I test drove the 2012 Durango on the same day as the Flex. Noise level - much quieter in the Flex Ride - I had a 2007 Durango, and the 2012 is much improved, but the Flex is still as smooth as a sedan. Handling - Durango R/T handles mountain roads better. Little body roll in the Flex unless pushed hard. Drove it in the snow and grade assist works well. (live in Colorado.) Brakes- horrible. Mushy. GM and BMW much better. Ford needs to improve here. Flex seats are very comfortable and soft-you sit in them. Durango seats are harder and you sit on them. Dodge seats have side bolsters that hold you in place- Flex seats have zero bolstering. Entertainment- Durango

Favorite Features

has Sirius backseat TV with Disney, etc which I feel is better for smaller kids. Flex has two separate headrest screens- one can only play DVD's, video games or line-in iPod; the other can play a different DVD, video games, line-in plus FM/AM/Sirius. I wish both screens had their own FM and Sirius tuners. Interior space is huge. Plenty of leg room in 2nd and 3rd row Twin turbo engine - this thing is fast. But I love the midrange torque for passing maneuvers and getting on freeway onramps. I have always driven V8's and this is the first non-V8 engine that I am satisfied with.

Suggested Improvements

no power folding mirrors - at this price? should be included. no auto sensing wipers passenger seat is only 6-way power (wife was disappointed) no power tilt or telescoping steering wheel no heated steering wheel no ventilated seats no auto up/down window for anyone other than driver (BMW has this) Headlights (even the HID's) are weaker than other cars 8-speed tranny would be nice; 6-speed is OK, just not super smooth Steering wheel thickness is thinner at the top where the perforated leather is - I wish this were thicker like the rest of the steering wheel. The cubbie behind the shifter is hard to access when in Park. Need to ditch the analog clock and move cubbie higher.