Used 2012 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Flex Wagon

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Most Helpful|
Love the Flex
By mowog

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We chose the Flex for its interior space, exterior styling, and 4,500 pound towing capacity. We think the red with white roof combination looks stunning. We were concerned that the non-turbo engine would struggle pulling our 3,200 lb. camper in the mountains, but the standard engine has worked just fine -- including a tow through the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,138 feet. Mileage commonly runs around 26 mpg on the highway, and 16 mpg pulling the camper at 60 mph. We love this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include interior space, seat comfort (especially the sliding middle row buckets), towing capability, quiet cabin, ease of folding the third seats, and styling. One family member is 6' - 6" and has plenty of head and leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Make the turbo engine available in lower trim levels. The need to buy the higher trim levels makes the turbo a very expensive option.

Nicest Car ive owned
By jthorpe1576

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Anyone who knows me would be surprised I am leaving a review. I love cars and have had alot of them. But this is the most luxurious boat I have ever owned. I bought it for my wife as a surprise with 26k miles on it SEL leather, the works. Went to pick it up having never looked at it or driven one and I couldn't believe it. Im 6'5" tall and I have more room in the front and second row then any car I have been in. A 7 series BMW is probably the closet thing in back seat room. UNREAL! Having 2 kids in car seats, we got the captain chairs in the middle row. GREAT IDEA. My wife averages about 18mpg all city, and on trips we get 24mpg hwy. Its not turbo but has PLENTY of power for a 6cyl.

Favorite Features

The Leather seats are so comfortable and the leather is nice! The back up buzzer, SYNC.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the adjustable cruise control to "PACE" the car in front of you. I don't think this model year has that option available.

Skeptic Turned Convert
By nateinphoenix

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As a man in his mid-thirties, I watched the "dad-mobile" shift from the station wagon in the 70's to the mini-van in the late 80's, then again to the SUV in 90's and finally to the present day cross over (which will eventually inherit the "dad-mobile" moniker as soon the current trend is recognized for the mainstay is has become). I swore that I would never surrender my manhood to drive anything that could be confused with any of those humiliating words. Yet, from the moment I reluctantly test drove, to the moment I enthusiastically purchased the Flex, I have loved it and have no regrets! The interior space is phenomenal, the finishing clean and refined, and the ride excellent! Thanks Ford!

Favorite Features

The fold-flat seats and cargo capacity are exceptionally useful; from transporting all of our gear and my family on camping trips, to picking up materials for that home improvement project, the Flex definitely has "utility" in mind. The generous head and legroom and multi-position adjustable seats make this vehicle an excellent choice for families like mine, where one driver is tall and the other is...vertically challenged. The ride is smooth, the interior very clean and well organized, and its quirky box-like shape has really grown on me. I love that even our base SE model has higher end features like rear parking assist, steering wheel radio controls and keyless entry among many others.

Suggested Improvements

It has been difficult to find fault with the Flex. However, to make it even more exciting, I would add a few more horses to the base engine under the hood, to give it really spirited accelration. Granted, the same can already be had with the eco-boost upgrade, but the price tag for that is not insignificant. Adding some more form hugging contour to the already comfortable front seats would help connect the driver and passengers to the experience. Similarly, replacing the stationary bench seat in the second row with a sliding bench would further enhance it's utility. However, if I were to turn back time and retain my experience with this vehicle, I would still choose the Flex.

be careful!
By dontbuyxt

2012 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2012 ford flex. I just hit 60,000 miles and with it has come a fuel pump failure! I took it to the dealer who 'fixed' it. Of course, the repair is not complete and know I can smell gas after parking my car in my garage. Oh Joy! More time at the dealer trying to get them to fix an issue they created with an initial repair attempt. Very Frustrating Ford! I feel the car has been pretty good up to this point. I like the strong engine and ride quality. It is a good car for long car trips. I am very concerned about the long term quality - Ford is exactly known for quality. I had to have the brakes (pads and rotors!) replaced around 55k. This car may be better for a lease!

Favorite Features

Nice engine power, long drive ride quality, I also wished I had gotten the massive moon roofs! Too much money though.

Suggested Improvements

My version 1 synch (i don't have the new style screens). Synch is really disappointing. C'mon Ford - you can do better. Ford needs to study long term quality a little more. Maybe quality would be more of a concern if all of the management at Ford actually had drive Ford cars after they were 3 yrs old instead of driving cars that are less than a year old!

Not your Father's station wagon
By dogbettor

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my new 2012 Flex SEL three months ago. My last two cars were Lincoln Towncars. I was shopping for a Minivan Crossover SUV station wagon or a reasonable facsimile. While at an Infinity dealer I spotted and drove a used Flex that they had on their lot. The ride was the best I had driven including the Infinity and Lexus models. So I went to the Ford dealer. The inventory of Flex models numbered 3, while the Edge offerings were more than 30, the Explorer more than 20. The sales rep said the Flex isn't advertised much and is not a great seller. After driving the Explorer and the Edge I was determined to buy a Flex. I wanted a ride close to that of my Towncar.

Favorite Features

After 2700 miles of driving I am happy with my decision. Love the SYNC. The ride and the power are great. Sooo much room front and rear. The style looks great to me. The gas mileage is identical to that of my Lincoln Towncar. It is as advertised, though I was hoping for a little better. The styling of the dashboard is very important to me and I love it on the Flex. My SEL model has all the toys I want and need. I do miss the more comfortable seats that I've become accustomed to. The power liftgate is a must have for me. I added a trailer hitch to tow my motorcycle, which it does splendidly. The front and rear climate control are top notch. No gas cap. Is that good?

Suggested Improvements

I added a memory foam cushion to my driver's seat. I find the seats to be hard and uncomfortable and not wide enough for my butt which is only average size. But the ride is great. I think I'd like a gas cap please. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Ford needs to work on the fuel efficiency some. On the 2013 model they changed the grill to a more current style. But on a retro look wagon? Why? Leave the style alone. I like the idea of driving a style that is not seen at every intersection. And Ford needs to market this model as though they'd like to sell it. It's like the best kept secret on the road! Get the word out!