Used 2012 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Flex Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Flex Wagon

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

$3,000 repair for a 2012 with 70 thousand miles
By dan

2012 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The AWD transfer case (part of the transmission) fails on these cars! Cost $1,600 (with labor, the part is about $1000) to replace it ... that is IF they don't find other issues due to RUST on the parts that have to be removed to replace the transfer case. In my case: the right side control arm had to be replaced because they could not get the ball joint to release, so the ball joint got ruined in the process AND since Ford in its quest to save FORD money has front control arms with the ball joints built in and not replaceable means that bottom line: ball joint (a $20 part) fails, you end up buying a $200 control arm and paying $100 in labor to change it. So now we are at $1,900. Next is the passenger side turbo charger .. it is located forward and low on the engine and has no protective covering or anything to protect it from the elements, so it RUSTS - badly! It has to be disconnected to replace the transfer case. The mounting flange and bolts rust so bad that they break when attempting to remove. Now we are buying a new turbo charger at $586 plus $560 in labor! So NOW, the cost of replacing this transfer case is a whopping $3,046!! My advice: if your Flex is going over 60,000 miles GET RID OF IT!!

2012 Flex with 55k miles
By Browder.ba@gmail.com

2012 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the car for one year, the only reason we bought it was because my wife and I had twins. Well 55k miles into the car and only 4 years old and the rack and pinion has to be replaced. Its not covered under the powertrain warrant so my wife and I are out $1k. Thanks Ford POS. Ill never buy one again. The car wasnt cheap to start as its a limited. Ive NEVER owned a car that has needed a major repair like this that had less than100k miles.

Fabulous Flex
By Win Hollister

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a Flex in 2012 to meet the needs of traveling, towing boats and moving. The car performed admirably. Unfortunately, we recently had a severe accident at highway speeds which totaled our car. The air bags deployed properly and the interior was untouched. Engineering is excellent and we look to replace the car with another Flex!

Love my Flex
By Flex Girl

2012 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a pre-owned Flex 2012 with 29,000 miles. I have had a lot of cars and this by far is my favorite! Prior to this I was driving a full size suburban. The transition to the Flex was easy! It drives smooth the leather seats are like butter and so comfortable. The only thing I wish they had changed was the very back seats need to fold all the way forward and down.. it's kind of strange how the cargo space is on top of the seats. I would have preferred more room. Still I would totally by another Flex. Plenty of passenger leg room. We have the flex with captain seats in the 2nd roll and I love that. Great stereo with plenty of Sony speakers great rear air! The gas mileage is around 19.5 around town which is better then my burb. The highway is around 23..........no complaints!

be careful!
By dontbuyxt

2012 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have a 2012 ford flex. I just hit 60,000 miles and with it has come a fuel pump failure! I took it to the dealer who 'fixed' it. Of course, the repair is not complete and know I can smell gas after parking my car in my garage. Oh Joy! More time at the dealer trying to get them to fix an issue they created with an initial repair attempt. Very Frustrating Ford!
I feel the car has been pretty good up to this point. I like the strong engine and ride quality. It is a good car for long car trips. I am very concerned about the long term quality - Ford is exactly known for quality. I had to have the brakes (pads and rotors!) replaced around 55k. This car may be better for a lease!

Nice engine power, long drive ride quality, I also wished I had gotten the massive moon roofs! Too much money though.

My version 1 synch (i don't have the new style screens). Synch is really disappointing. C'mon Ford - you can do better. Ford needs to study long term quality a little more. Maybe quality would be more of a concern if all of the management at Ford actually had drive Ford cars after they were 3 yrs old instead of driving cars that are less than a year old!