2011 Ford Flex California Review
By califdreamn on
2011 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
With our 2001 Honda Odyssey mini van approaching 130K and on its third transmission, we set out to see what sort of new vehicle might fit our fancy. I have had my eye on the Flex for some time but we also looked hard at the Mazda CX9. For us, the Flex has the larger more comfortable cabin, a ridiculous amount of leg room in the second row, and the look of a poor man's Range Rover. The CX9 has super supportive seating as well as a sporty ride and engine. But the Flex has a uniqueness about it that nothing else compares to. And, if you can still secure a 2011 with the hefty rebates, you will have a vehicle that pound for pound surpasses anything else.
Favorite Features
The Flex SEL with the Leather/Sony sound package is all you need to wow the neighbors. The black leather seats with the white baseball stitching look and feel superb. The Sync system has lots of techy features making the Flex a cut above. The V6 and the 6 speed powertrain are smooth and powerfull. Although the Ecoboost engine enhances performance dramatically, I could not justify the substantial cost premium. Small touches like the puddle lights, electric rear hatch door, big 18" alloy wheels, satelite radio, sound from the bass thumping stereo, and the overall Flex quality make this a real winner.
Suggested Improvements
For my taste, the brakes are a bit soft when applying pressure to the pedal. But I still feel secure and confident when stopping. Ford's reliabilty has been improving so I am anticipating this ride will treat me well. Imports are not perfect. With my Honda I spent plenty of time and money at the dealer's service counter. And with the Ford you will not have to pay $1,400 for a brake job like on a fancy german import. Time will tell, but I hope my smile 5 or 6 years from now is as big as it now driving the Flex. Do yourself a favor and at test drive the Flex. It is a highly underated vehicle that really is a great choice.