Used 2011 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Flex

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Better than what I had read
By mcblaw

2011 Ford Flex Titanium 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I am in my mid 60's, & have driven muscle cars, subarus (lots of them), suburbans and pickups. I live in the foothills west of Denver @ 8000 feet. So far this fall we have had about 20" of snow between two different snowfalls. Although our new flex (purchased in early september) is not a high profile car, and it does not have dedicated 4 wheel drive, it has handled what nature has thrown at it. (we have an avalanche for the deep snow). I LOVE this car, which is beyond my feelings about the many other cars I have owned. It has great torque, and acceleration. It has good gas mileage for its size (19 / 24 so far). And, it is much cooler than I expected (gets lots of thumbs up)

Favorite Features

The interior layout, and quality / the multi-sunroofs / the very quiet, and manageable ride and handling. I drive about 15 miles each way for my work on curves, and with an almost 3,000 foot elevation change. The mileage remains good, and the performance is more than up to the challenge of our foothills. The stability control absolutely flattens out the curves.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know that I would term my comments as improvements. Rather, my suggestion to ford would be: 1st: Keep this car in your line-up in essentially its current configuration. 2nd: Keep it ahead of currenet design trends. Keep working at creating a niche car that generates buzz about your brand. 3rd: Continue to throw the latest gadgets into the car. Don't let your explorer brand set the standard. This model is expensive, but it is not stodgie (sp) or formal. So, give your customers the best of the latest "cool" stuff. It should continue to be eccletic (sp). Don't let it be blended into the rest of the product line.

It's okay, but there are better choices...
By jeffyb

2011 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After spending considerable time driving my 2011 Flex on different types of roads, under varying conditions, I'd say it's good as a people-mover, and a good alternative to a mini-van. However, it is not as sporty as it's image portrayed on TV. After 11,000 miles the drivers window squeaks like a pig, and the auto tailgate is very annoying (way too slow opening & closing). Unless you have 6 or 7 people to haul, I would suggest an SUV like the Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 instead. They have as much useful cargo room, handle much better and get better gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, holds a lot of people comfortably, AWD is useful, rides well on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better handling, doors shut like a 1975 Buick with more of a metallic clatter than a "thunk". Sounds cheap. Door & switch hardware feels cheap. SYNC system sounds okay, but is a pain to use. There are lots of options on SYNC that the average person would never use, yet it doesn't even display the song from your iPod? That is just dumb. Oh, wait, it's a Microsoft product, right??? Gas mileage is mediocre at best.

We test drove everything, selected Ford Flex Limited
By mcc1234

2011 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our 2003 Yukon hit 140,000 and started to break down so we started looking for a 7 seater replacement. Couldn't face the stigma of a minivan so considered everything else in the $30-50k range. Reviewed and test drove many vehicles, including the new Yukon, Enclave/Acadia, Mercedes R/M, Lexus GX, Pilot, Highlander Hybrid and others. The Flex was not on our original shortlist and we only tried it because we had a spare hour last Saturday and dropped into the dealership. 2 test drives later and we ordered a fully loaded Limited from a nearby city. Love the car, the drive, 3 spacious rows, and the interior is like a business class aircraft cabin (great gadgets, dual DVD, fridge/freezer).

Favorite Features

Interior, technology, dual DVDs, multiple sunroofs, fridge/freezer, electric folding doors/trunk, dual color retro look.

Suggested Improvements

None as yet

Never Thought I'd Drive a Ford...
By applesnkids

2011 Ford Flex Titanium 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just went from an '05 Infiniti FX35 to the 2011 Titanium Ford Flex. Did I just really type that sentence? First off, I should say I test drove three minivans; Odyssey, Routan & Sienna. Out of the three, the Odyssey was the best BUT, it was a minivan. I couldn't get over the horrid styling of all three. We actually considered the MINI Countryman since it's such a fun drive, but the lack of space was a problem. Then, we drove the Flex. Hands down, the smoothest ride. This SUV is big but uses the space wisely. We've heard nothing but good things from those who have bought a Flex, too. So happy with our purchase! Get one...it's totally worth it if you need space but don't want a minivan.

Favorite Features

*Microsoft Sync *Tons of room *Smooth easy ride *Efficient inside interior *Plush seats on Titanium (and if you have kids, spray the suede in the middle but the rest is dark and won't show dirt!) *Cooler 2nd row *Sunroofs everywhere *Neat styling, two toned paint *Well placed cup holders *Love the dark/light interior contrast with dark on floors so dirt isn't noticeable *Great space in armrest *One touch seat folding in rear (awesome/easy!) *20" rims are still a smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

*Gas mileage (however, not as bad as others it's size) *No way to get to 3rd row seating if you have car seats installed in 2nd row except by climbing over seats or going through the trunk *How about a totally hands free key? But there is a keypad on the door which helps. *Sync takes a bit of a learning curve *Shorter front end, possibly, for parking ease? *Doors are a bit heavy *Awkward head rest for driver/passenger but it doesn't bother me at 5'4" :) only if you're a few inches taller AND drive with your head on the headrest.

Another Great Flex
By charliedee

2011 Ford Flex Titanium 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Ford FLex Limited in 2009. Made the mistake of trading for 2011 Ford Explorer. Ok car, but wasn't what I had expected. Kept it 2 months, trade back for a 2011 Ford FLex Titanium. Ah, yes, back to my good ole Flex again. My 2009 Flex is the ONLY car that I have ever owned that was problem free. I am confident that my new one will be the same.

Favorite Features

Love the new front end and the black chrome finish. Getting used to the Leather/suede seats. Like the telescoping steering wheel, which I didn't have on my 09 Flex. Wish now that I would have spent the extra money for an AWD so that I could have had the new turbo engine.

Suggested Improvements

Turn signals in the exterior mirrors, black chrome trim on the interior.