Used 2009 Ford Flex Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Very surprised!
By Luke

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have purchased Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans during the past several years, but never one from the "big three". In fact, I never even looked at their models until we needed a new family hauler. My wife wanted the Flex and I tried to show her every model Toyota or Honda had to offer before we headed to a Ford dealership. I hated the idea of buying a Ford until I test drove the Flex. It has been superb so far and knocks the socks off of my Nissan. I wish I was the one driving it everyday. My only complaint is the gas mileage, I wish it were a bit better. I will definitely keep an eye on Ford when the times comes to purchase another car.

Favorite Features

Ford Sync, AWD, dual-headrest DVD players

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (better mpg)

Does many things well
By basswood

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Flex is very comfortable, easy to drive. Mine has no telescoping wheel, so I can't give myself all the leg room I would like to have. Excellent choice for tall people anyway. It is quiet and smooth on all surfaces. Good pickup when you need it. Mileage is surprisingly good. Mine is getting better;about 19mpg around suburbs!

Favorite Features

I find this car easy to get in and out of. Mileage has been better than expected (actually calculated to be 19.1 on last tankful. Love the red color.

Suggested Improvements

Access to console is terrible. It is very dark inside it, and its location puts it almost behind your right elbow.Needs a light inside and better placement. Glove box is also small. For a large car, there is little storage room in the front seat area. (for me) A back up camera would be great! (onSE)

Want to love it but
By Disappointed

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Went from a Explorer to a Freestyle to a Flex. Thought we had found that perfect car but after about 8 trips to 2 Ford mechanic's we are about done. We keep getting the front brake grinding noise that everybody else seems to be getting. And it seems to go away for a few days after they work on it it comes back. Only difference from most of the rest of the reviews is that the dealership seems to try but can't figure it out. Other things have been small but what car isn't going to have some problems. It's a shame because otherwise we would love it!

Favorite Features

Nav, panoramic roof, fridge, seating, fun to drive and it's not like everything else.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the BRAKES. It shouldn't be that hard!

Caliper problems
By Gail Johnson

2009 Ford Flex Wagon Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle used from our local dealership. It had 24,701 miles on it. The second day of ownership, I came out of this driveway, a terrible squealing sound happened. I stopped and backed up as I thought I ran over a branch, and went ahead again. The car squealed off an on the rest of my route. I thought it was my brakes but service said they were perfectly fine. It still squealed but now I have a burning smell. Took it back and service said the left rear caliper was locking up and replaced it. Brought it back home parked it in the garage got out and smelled the burning smell again and the wheel was too hot to touch. Service has it again. Not happy.

Favorite Features

spacious and like the rear camera

Love My Flex!
By Love My Flex!!!

2009 Ford Flex Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned A LOT of vehicles from focus to excursion to expedition etc. and this is the BEST vech. I have ever driven I love the design inside and out. The comfort of the ride so smooth! I have two children aged 1 and 5 and it is perfect for them! My husband is 6'3" and he has plenty of room when he is driving or riding in the front or back. My flex has the bench seat in the second row that is what I preferred and I LOVE it! I traded in my Ford Freestyle. The gas mileage is GREAT we got 24 to 24.5 on the hwy and 20 - 21 around town! I Love the power trunk and sync just wish it was turn by turn directions. I did upgrade to the 911 asst. and vech. report. Thanks Ford Love MY Flex!!

Favorite Features

Adjustable pedals, memory seats, power trunk, comfortable seating in all 3 row's! Sync Hide Away Key Pad, Design and Color (Cinnamon with White Top) Rear Lock on air so kids can't play with it. 3rd row seat's flip backwards for tailgating, 110 V plug in second row! Love the room, ride and gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I could upgrade the Sync to turn by turn directions!