Used 2009 Ford Flex SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Price / safety
By John

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We needed a car for 3 kids and two adults. I did a lot of reading into crash tests -- not just the stars ratings, but the detailed crash test reports. 1. This is about the safest vehicle on the market. Don't overlook that it's heavy -- crash tests are about running into a car your size. Running into a heavier car is like a higher speed collision (to the lighter car). 2. Some complaints around the web are about MPG. There's no alternative noticeably better in this weight class/size. Most are worse. 3. Another con often mentioned is price. Flexes are quite reasonable right now. Ours was 22% below MSRP (after 3K rebate), and just under 6% below invoice, with virtually no haggling.

Safety; really quiet inside (there's a zen-like tranquility driving, at least without kids aboard); reasonably responsive; affordable. Doesn't look, sound, or drive like a minivan. My wife thinks it rides better than our 2004 XC70. USB drive music in and car diagnostic info out, via Sync.

Our Volvo has a folding key. They're actually handy. The Flex doesn't. Laminated front glass standard on all models would be nice.

Fun and Not Boring!
By Scott D.

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We wanted to replace our minivan and still needed to seat at least 6. I looked at this car and many others and kept coming back to the Flex. It grows on you quickly. Two months later and 5,000 miles already - I love it. I have had at least 6 strangers stop and look and ask me about it. Never had that happen with any other new car! I like that it is different than the usual common, boring SUVs, crossovers, and sedans. Tons of interior room for family. I am 6'-5" and this is the only car I have owned where the driver's seat is not all the way back. The boxy style helps with the engine compartment and the maintenance points (oil, battery, filters) are easily accessible.

Exterior styling, fun to drive, handles great, and has no trouble accelerating with the best of the them. Also like the Sync system (didn't think I would use it but do all the time now), four wheel auto anti-skid and anti-roll, rear backup warning, and thoughtful media control features.

It could use one more foot of depth in the cargo area, but you can fold down seats to give you the space you need if less than 7 on board.

LOVE IT
By Dave

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a Mercedes R350 with all the options, and I drove the Flex and looked at the price and said what the heck am I doing driving a Mercedes, I returned the Mercedes 5 months early to get the Flex, I could not find the SEL with leather and Nav, so I settled for the SE and will install the Nav. Best bang for the buck bar none! THANKS FORD!!

Comfort Sync

Telescope steering wheel, more options on the SEL and SE!!

Great Vehicle!!
By Florida

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Wow! What a great car. At first, it took a while to get used to the looks, but now we love it. Were looking at Tahoes/Traverses/Acadias/and Suburbans. You get a lot more for your money with the flex. A fully loaded flex is about the cost of a stripped version of the above listed. It's amazing, the dealers that are strong, Ford, are willing to work harder for your business than those not doing so well?? Maybe that's why they are staying in business.

Very comfy. Rides like a car. Lots of room. Peppy engine.

Too new, not there yet.

Good Things from Ford
By Reid Umphrey

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

It looks like all the focus from Ford on Quality has really paid off for them. I am degreed Aersospace Engineer as well as a Certificated Aircraft Mech and ASE Mech. I was a GM guy through the first 25 years of my driving life and had an very bad lemon experience with a GM Truck. The GM service manager actually told me that if I wanted a real truck I needed to go to the "Blue Oval". Went to Ford in 2000 and never looked back. We were looking for a replacment for my wife's 92 Astro Van. I stopped by the Dealership and though the Flex was just awesome. I really though she would think I had lost my mind to think she would drive it. The rest is history. Bought one and really like it!!!

The car drives and rides very very nice. Get 26 MPG on road consistently. The interior is well laid out and very comfortable. Great auto! Great Job Ford.

The headrest on the front seats are the only thing I dislike on the car. Very uncomfortable on long ride. Ford says they are for neck safety so I cannot complain too much as they are for our own good.