2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:
By Bella on 08/24/10 12:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My flex is very comfortable, plenty of room for my family of five. The third row seat can fit adults. The internal voice activated communication system is great. What I don't like is that there are a lot of blind spots; I have difficulty seeing past the support post on the passenger side. We have had the car for about a year now and I am starting to notice that there are whistling sounds when I drive and the breaks are squealing, which the dealership cannot replicate so they haven’t fixed it. If I had it to do over I'm not sure if I would buy a flex again.

Can't drive with the windows open
By Moe on 08/13/10 12:53 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love my FLEX, this car is great! I had a few issues that they had to change brakes, pads, rotors but that is all worked out. The center console is a little dark as well as the key-hole in the steering column. My BIGGEST complaint is that I can't drive with my windows open because you get a very annoying sound that is loud and hurts your ears. I tried my windows in different positions and no help! I had this on my vette but they came up with a solution.

Brakes: problems with front
By szudejko on 08/13/10 10:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Flex from Ganley Ford in Ohio in May 2009. Like it very much, good ride,MPG on highway is in the middle 20's. One problem was the front brake, it sounded like it was intermittently scraping. That (GANLEY FORD) replaced front brakes at 6000 miles free. Still had the sound so back to the service department and another road test with the Tech. We determined it wasn't the actual brake but the mounting system holding the pads...new parts we ordered and upon their arrival they were installed. No more problems. This is a great family highway cruiser and we have traveled to over 35 States with the grand-kids and friends very comfortably. I love the LTD's 6 way driver's seat.

Disappointing
By Discouraged on 08/12/10 14:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm very upset with this car and the way I've been treated since buying it! I've had the car in the shop 4 times since purchased (but could have taken it in many more times). I purchase new cars for the safety and reliability that comes with it. Unfortunately, the car has neither! I've had it in for brakes, transmission, radio, sync system & various other issues. I don't have the time to continuously take a brand new car in weekly. Now they are saying that my problems are not reproducible and oh well. I had a Honda(no problems) previously and bought American to support our Country just for the dealer to say oh well deal with it! I don't understand what happened to quality & customer service?

Very surprised!
By Luke on 08/10/10 19:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have purchased Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans during the past several years, but never one from the "big three". In fact, I never even looked at their models until we needed a new family hauler. My wife wanted the Flex and I tried to show her every model Toyota or Honda had to offer before we headed to a Ford dealership. I hated the idea of buying a Ford until I test drove the Flex. It has been superb so far and knocks the socks off of my Nissan. I wish I was the one driving it everyday. My only complaint is the gas mileage, I wish it were a bit better. I will definitely keep an eye on Ford when the times comes to purchase another car.

Does many things well
By basswood on 07/07/10 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Flex is very comfortable, easy to drive. Mine has no telescoping wheel, so I can't give myself all the leg room I would like to have. Excellent choice for tall people anyway. It is quiet and smooth on all surfaces. Good pickup when you need it. Mileage is surprisingly good. Mine is getting better;about 19mpg around suburbs!

Want to love it but
By Disappointed on 07/05/10 10:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Went from a Explorer to a Freestyle to a Flex. Thought we had found that perfect car but after about 8 trips to 2 Ford mechanic's we are about done. We keep getting the front brake grinding noise that everybody else seems to be getting. And it seems to go away for a few days after they work on it it comes back. Only difference from most of the rest of the reviews is that the dealership seems to try but can't figure it out. Other things have been small but what car isn't going to have some problems. It's a shame because otherwise we would love it!

Caliper problems
By Gail Johnson on 07/04/10 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle used from our local dealership. It had 24,701 miles on it. The second day of ownership, I came out of this driveway, a terrible squealing sound happened. I stopped and backed up as I thought I ran over a branch, and went ahead again. The car squealed off an on the rest of my route. I thought it was my brakes but service said they were perfectly fine. It still squealed but now I have a burning smell. Took it back and service said the left rear caliper was locking up and replaced it. Brought it back home parked it in the garage got out and smelled the burning smell again and the wheel was too hot to touch. Service has it again. Not happy.

Love My Flex!
By Love My Flex!!! on 06/13/10 22:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned A LOT of vehicles from focus to excursion to expedition etc. and this is the BEST vech. I have ever driven I love the design inside and out. The comfort of the ride so smooth! I have two children aged 1 and 5 and it is perfect for them! My husband is 6'3" and he has plenty of room when he is driving or riding in the front or back. My flex has the bench seat in the second row that is what I preferred and I LOVE it! I traded in my Ford Freestyle. The gas mileage is GREAT we got 24 to 24.5 on the hwy and 20 - 21 around town! I Love the power trunk and sync just wish it was turn by turn directions. I did upgrade to the 911 asst. and vech. report. Thanks Ford Love MY Flex!!

Really Bummed
By Brent Dyer on 04/12/10 21:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

So let's start with the brakes. Horrible brake sound when backing up. Grinding noise in the front. I took it in and they said I have to pay after 15k miles. Then the second time I took it in they said that the brakes were dirty. Horrible wind noise. Have major trans problems. Revs up to 6k rpm and I have to pull over and stop. (no, I did not touch the shifter). Took it in and they said nothing is wrong. I am taking it in again tomorrow for the 4th time in 5 months. I am tired of this and I don't have time to deal with this anymore. I am just going to be told that there is nothing wrong. Is anybody listening? I am very frustrated and no longer feel safe

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Flex in VA is:

$131 per month*