Used 2009 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

More extras than we have ever had
By Dave

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought it. Never had so many extras as we have always been conservative, just the necesseties. Lightinng package is great and the sun visor has a universal garage door opener which we had never seen before. Sync is great, car runs smooth and quiet and we got a long stare from a passing car as we left the dealership.

sync, garage door opener, power lift on back, HID lights, convenience package, ice blue with white top just looks and feels cool

Head rest but I raised it up and it is not a problem

Didn't want a van again
By Ron

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My first new car in many years. Ford has raised the bar. This big safe car does many things well. It is smooth and quiet, with good acceleration. I wish it had a telescoping wheel, because at 6' 4", I can move the seat back so far that the steering wheel is almost out of reach. I like the ease of folding the back seats down. It has a ton of room with them folded (not a minivan though) I added a back-up camera/gps system to my SE and it really helps backing up. Tall seats hold you in, make turning around to see difficult for me; comfortable though. Solid highway drive. Don't drive with windows open;overpressure will drive you nuts. Mileage c. 20 in town, 25 hwy. Not great, but pretty good.

Solid, safe feeling driving. Like on rails.Quiet, smooth, with good pickup.

Definitely needs a telescoping wheel. SE could be be "gussied up" inside- too plain. Mileage is always a suggested improvement. A light inside the console- too dark to see what's in there, especially since there are hookups for phone, ipods, coins.

GREAT FAMILY WAGON!!!
By Benjamin

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this for my wife to replace her minivan. I needed an AWD people mover... we have 4 kids under 11. Thought I was going to have to go with Toyota Sienna or Honda Pilot. I'm glad I found the Flex. Styling is so much cooler and Sync and Audio is high tech. Two tone & Vista roof was a must. You can't really appreciate vehicle until you climb in. Interior is excellent quality & design. Middle row leg room is excellent. As Ford says DRIVE ONE. I drove the FLEX 1st and was so impressed. I never got around to the Toyota or Honda.

Styling: I really like: Vista Roof Two Tone color scheme. SYNC hands free phone & audio operation Leather on Limited is very high quality.

All around a SUPERIOR vehicle. Only thing I can think of would be a Mute Audio Button. A little better MPG would be nice also.

Pros and Cons Ford Flex
By a david

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have had it about 1 month just finished a long trip down to Iowa and back. Here are my thoughts. Pros: Enormous amount of interior room esp for legs and head at all sitting positions. Boys love the ability to sit in diff places comfortably. AWD worked flawlessly in driving thunderstorm on highway. MPG better than expected ~23MPG @ 75mp. Rides and steers nicely. Have towed a popup camper and gear with no problems using factory tow package. Concerns: Needs telescoping steering wheel, adjustable headrests - no excuse Ford! Finding a comfortable driver's position can take time. Cannot buy a standard roof rack w/o factory rails. Door skins curve under car, probs w/paint chipping on gravel?

Room, ride, and space. Yes the looks it is nerdy sophistication, nothing else like it in the parking lot.

telescoping steering wheel, adjustable headrests, i would like a firmer drivers seat, my wife is fine with it. Door skins curve under the car. This provides cleaner lines and eliminates side rails but at what cost? We live down a dirt road and I fear paint chips and premature rusting.

Price / safety
By John

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We needed a car for 3 kids and two adults. I did a lot of reading into crash tests -- not just the stars ratings, but the detailed crash test reports. 1. This is about the safest vehicle on the market. Don't overlook that it's heavy -- crash tests are about running into a car your size. Running into a heavier car is like a higher speed collision (to the lighter car). 2. Some complaints around the web are about MPG. There's no alternative noticeably better in this weight class/size. Most are worse. 3. Another con often mentioned is price. Flexes are quite reasonable right now. Ours was 22% below MSRP (after 3K rebate), and just under 6% below invoice, with virtually no haggling.

Safety; really quiet inside (there's a zen-like tranquility driving, at least without kids aboard); reasonably responsive; affordable. Doesn't look, sound, or drive like a minivan. My wife thinks it rides better than our 2004 XC70. USB drive music in and car diagnostic info out, via Sync.

Our Volvo has a folding key. They're actually handy. The Flex doesn't. Laminated front glass standard on all models would be nice.

• SUV