Used 2009 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Flex - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Most Helpful|
Nice but a few problems
By Chuck

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At first we thought the vehicle was great but as time goes on I noticed that the ride was alot harder than my previous Jeeps. I know everybody raves about the smooth ride but I can't get used to the hard ride in this vehicle. Also there is a rattle coming from the steering wheel when going over bumps, I think it is the horn button. Overall it is a good car and except for the hard ride and the rattle.

Favorite Features

Sync, roomy interior, styling, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Better ride quality, telescoping steering wheel.

2009 Flex Brake problems
By bassguy

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I was happy with the ride and feel until I hit 20K, and noticed a momentary grinding when I applied the brakes. Sometimes a gaslike smell was noticed after breaking. Quite a bit of black dust seemed to accumulate on the two rear wheels. At 25K a periodic squeal was noticed but the Ford dealer inspected and said the brakes were "good". At 29.5K the brakes made a grinding sound and were visably scored (rear left). My Ford Dealer said that "it wasn't a Ford problem because he didn't have a service bulletin that dealt with this problem!". Rather than have him repair with duplicate Ford parts, I took the car to a Goodrich dealer for new rear rotors and new upgraded pads.

Favorite Features

The Ford Flex has a smooth ride and in a sense is a comfortable small truck (all seats fold down). When I am transporting adults they fit comfortably in the middle set of seats. The heated front seats are especially appreciated during the winter months. The sound system is a pleasure to use (there is no need for Sirous radio when you have a good CD player on board).

Suggested Improvements

Make the steering wheel more adjustable (forward and back) so that the driver's seat doesn't need to be used to compensate for arm-length comfort. Having to move the seat forward makes it difficult to step out of the car without having to constantly re-adjust the seat.

a great vacation ride
By Victor Carter

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car in November,2008. We took it to Woodstock, Maine in the worst of weather with 5 adults and winter clothes, skis and such. We went to Niagra for the newyears fireworks show after skiing. Then we came home. We got 23.4 worst and 24.3 was our best milage. We drove it to Cape Cod to see the whales this spring. We got about the same milage. We had 5 adults and bagage for 10 days. My Wife and I took it to Moab, Utah and had a great time. We got 24.7 MPG on that trip. Only two people. I can't find anything I don't like about the car. You will not believe the power the V6 has!

Favorite Features

Blue tooth works well with little road noise coming over the phone. Rear heat and air. It looks soooo coool!

Suggested Improvements

It could ride a little better but I do not want to give up any of the handleing. It drives and hangs on the road like a sports car.

0 Miles to "E" with a 1/4 tank
By designqueen83

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Flex since August of 2010. I have put on 78k miles total. With in the first winter I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and the reader told me there were 60 miles to E. I was in good shape to get to work then get gas at lunch. My car dinged, read 0 miles to E and then shut down. This has happened a few times since and the dealership can't pin point the problem. They have even made it die the same way too (b/c they didn't believe me). Now I am left with a solution of don't drive it under 1/4 tank and don't get down to 90 miles to E. Seriously? Is anyone else having this problem? I am the second owner and the first time it happened was at 30k. Senders have been replaced and other parts.

Favorite Features

Ok I have to say I LOVE my Flex. I love that we could all fit and have room. I loved that my best friend, 2 her kids, daughter and our 2 sisters could all fit in this car for rides and outings. It has a smooth ride and would be perfect to take camping and use as a bed with an air mattress. Seriously hate to give up this car but going to have to. Due to problems and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make the fuel problems stop!!!

Love My Flex!
By Love My Flex!!!

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned A LOT of vehicles from focus to excursion to expedition etc. and this is the BEST vech. I have ever driven I love the design inside and out. The comfort of the ride so smooth! I have two children aged 1 and 5 and it is perfect for them! My husband is 6'3" and he has plenty of room when he is driving or riding in the front or back. My flex has the bench seat in the second row that is what I preferred and I LOVE it! I traded in my Ford Freestyle. The gas mileage is GREAT we got 24 to 24.5 on the hwy and 20 - 21 around town! I Love the power trunk and sync just wish it was turn by turn directions. I did upgrade to the 911 asst. and vech. report. Thanks Ford Love MY Flex!!

Favorite Features

Adjustable pedals, memory seats, power trunk, comfortable seating in all 3 row's! Sync Hide Away Key Pad, Design and Color (Cinnamon with White Top) Rear Lock on air so kids can't play with it. 3rd row seat's flip backwards for tailgating, 110 V plug in second row! Love the room, ride and gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Wish I could upgrade the Sync to turn by turn directions!